How did you get into Soul Asylum?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CULater
Caged Rat

Re: How did you get into Soul Asylum?

Post by CULater »

Bad gross things? Hmm...intriguing. Do tell.
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

If you really must know, sheryl told that story on the first page of this thread. Reader, beware.

I've always been glad I read that post AFTER the first time I saw them live. If I'd read it first, I would never have dared to get as close to the stage as I did. :shock:
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Got it. Yeah, I see your point. That wouldn't have been fun to see up close.
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

It still pays to be cautious if you're right up near the stage. We went to see them...somewhere. I can't remember where. We were right up against the stage, underneath their feet, and they were drinking..dave beer and dan something that smelled a lot like whiskey. we know this because while they were singing they were SPITTING all over us. we both kept kind of flinching away lol.we didn't realize how spitty we actually were until we were pulled over for speeding on the highway, going home, and the cops hassled us thinking we'd been drinking, which we hadn't. we couldnt figure out why they didnt believe us until one of them said "ladies we can smell it all over you." at which point i sniffed my hair and started to laugh. we explained. i dont think they believed us but i think they let us go based on creativity points.

derickson
Marionette

Post by derickson »

hah! yeah they do tend to spit a lot... it has never been enough to make me stay back though.
I love when you have been at the front of the stage for 3 hours and some punk comes up and asks if they can get in front of you just for a minute...
:roll:

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Good story. Yep, there is definately a lot of spitting and a lot of sweat. Just imagine when the hair starts whipping....all that sweat's gotta go somewhere!

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Eeeeeyw, I don't know if I would find that sweat and smell hot or just disgusting.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

it never bothers me to be spitty and sweaty at the end of a show. i get up front anyway.

but when the cop was hassling us all i could think was "it's a good thing i like those guys. a damn good thing."

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

CULater wrote:Got it. Yeah, I see your point. That wouldn't have been fun to see up close.
I wouldn't have been worried about SEEING. At my first show, I was close enough to be within range. Although not close enough to get spit on.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I've definitely stood in the Dave splash zone and Dan splash zone at various shows. It's not exactly the most wonderful thing in the world, but I do like being up close during the shows.

Phil