Favorite Danny Song

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite Soul Asylum song by Daniel Murphy

Poll ended at Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:11 pm

Blood Into Wine
No votes
Promises Broken
26%
Gullibles Travels
4%
Cartoon
48%
Miracle Mile
No votes
Can't Go Back
13%
Long Way Home
No votes
Nowhere To Go
9%

Total votes: 23

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Favorite Danny Song

Post by philipgar »

I was doing the song vs song thing, and going to do best danny song, but figured that would really make a good poll, so here goes. I hope I don't miss any.

Ignore the choice for directions, as it is not a Danny song (thanks for the information Benny!).

Phil
Last edited by philipgar on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I was thinking of putting the same poll up a few days ago... good minds think alike. :wink:

Wow, I didn't know Dan wrote Directions. I still wish that made the The Silver Lining along with Freak Accident. Without a doubt Cartoon would have to be my pick. The song is full of energy, start to finish. Definitely one of my top Soul Asylum songs.

My favorite line, probably has to be the bridge; especially live, when Dan and Dave share the same mic:

Dan: On a night when the wolves were all silent and the moon howled
Dave: And I tried to leave, and I tried to stay, tried everything, tried looking away (x2)

On a similar note, the music video, which is also great; does anybody know if the cartoon segments were made specifically for the video, or were they originally from some other older cartoon? Also the flashing colored clothes always reminds me of the Dire Straits music video for Money for Nothing.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Promises Broken... That song is so touching and sometimes heartbreaking if you've ever been through a bad breakup.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Dan Murphy wrote:Looking outside from my window sill
Throw another coin in the wishing well
You'll never find
What you're looking for

Fifteen miles
Your dim light shines from so far away
Your sad smile is all I see
When I say

Every little thing about this tells me
Nothing out there is ever gonna help me
All these words that I have spoken
Just promises broken now
That's why Promises Broken gets my vote.

Blood Into Wine is not far behind. I wonder what it would have been like if Dan had did its vocals as well?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i can't pick one. i just stared at the choices for an age and i can't pick one. i like every single one of them. my first thought was cartoon...but then i really really like directions....but blood into wine is really good....ok. i like them all.

if absolutely FORCED (like that's gonna happen?) i'd probably go with cartoon so that's the one i'm going to pick. but seriously....the man writes great songs.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

PB gets it for "can you tell your troubles to some one who won't laugh at you?"

I wish I could give Directions a nod too, I would play it often in the months before graduation, when I felt lost and in need of direction.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

My favorite Danny song? Three guesses and the first two don't count! :wink:

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

When I first saw this thread, I almost felt like the question should be "What’s your favorite Danny song that isn't Cartoon" because that song just seems to be in a league of its own and I figured for most people it would be a matter of choosing a second favorite. But clearly I was wrong.

Cartoon is my favorite, so I'll answer with my second favorite, which is Blood Into Wine. And as for Jakob's question about what it might have been like if Danny did the vocals -- with all due respect to Danny's singing, I don't think the song would have been as powerful or moving. I think Dave's voice and phrasing give the song a lot of its poignancy. I recall an interview (though I don’t remember where) when Dave explained that he wanted Danny to sing the song but Danny insisted he sing it. It was a good instinct on Danny's part. Dave's voice has so much character and he gives the song so much emotional depth. Danny's writing and Dave's vocals on that song are a very effective combination.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Benny
Runaway

Post by Benny »

Dan didn't write "Directions," Dave did.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Benny wrote:Dan didn't write "Directions," Dave did.
somewhere, i don't remember where, there's something crediting that song to dan.

anybody know what i might be thinking of?

it's a great song, whoever wrote it, and i'm sorry it wasn't on the record.