what was your first album

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

what was your first album

Post by philipgar »

Here's an article from mpls about record store day asking some artists what their first record purchase was. I'm sure you'll all recognize one of the names in it:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17795473?nclick_check=1

Phil

better late
Social Butterfly

Re: what was your first album

Post by better late »

Thanks for posting this..."come on, get happy"...it's all I can remember from the Partridges.

On Saturday, I supported a local record store (they're so hard to find) by browsing around and spending some bucks.

Partridge Family, big ole albums with pictures you could actually see, liner notes you could actually read...ah, memories.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I supported my record store way more than I intended, but strictly discs is truly an awesome store. I picked up a few used CDs, but I also bought a new york dolls 7" single (for $2.99 I couldn't resist), and my big purchase was the reissue of Big Star's Third on Vinyl. I absolutely love that album, and despite the steep price, I just don't think I'd have forgiven myself if I didn't buy this when I had the chance (considering the LP is already going on ebay for well over $100, I don't think it was a horrible choice).

Phil

NightHawk
Stranger

Post by NightHawk »

The first album I ever bought was conspiracy of one by The Offspring. I bought all 3 of Soul Asylums studio albums on Columbia and Insomniacs Dream from my local record store.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Crap. I'm trying to remember the first one (ones your parents and your grandmother bought you don't count, right?). I'm hoping it wasn't The Bee Gees (but I admit to buying it) or the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever, but it could have been. I had a 45 of Disco Duck and Mr. Jaws, too. I wish I could say it was something uber cool and gritty, but another contender was Marie Osmond's Paper Roses or Glenn Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy (yup, had both of them). My sons would be cracking up hysterically if they read this. I used to listen to all my dad's oldies. I grew up listening to Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. My mom liked The Kingston Trio. I didn't get into "modern" rock until the end of the 70's.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

Well, I would first off start by saying that the first "Cassette" I had was from my Mom. I was in the second grade, and she bought me several cassettes for Christmas one year. Stryper, Slaughter, Creedance, George Strait, Black Crowes, Def Leppard, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. That same day, My sister got two Soul Asylum cassettes ( Grave dancers Union) and gave one to me. Needless to say, I was then introduced to Soul Asylum and that is how it all started for me.

As for the first Cassette I actually purchased, White Lion- Pride.

Heather

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

g8trcarol wrote:Crap. I'm trying to remember the first one (ones your parents and your grandmother bought you don't count, right?). I'm hoping it wasn't The Bee Gees (but I admit to buying it) or the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever, but it could have been. I had a 45 of Disco Duck and Mr. Jaws, too. I wish I could say it was something uber cool and gritty, but another contender was Marie Osmond's Paper Roses or Glenn Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy (yup, had both of them). My sons would be cracking up hysterically if they read this. I used to listen to all my dad's oldies. I grew up listening to Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. My mom liked The Kingston Trio. I didn't get into "modern" rock until the end of the 70's.

I am 27 and I LOVE the Kingston Trio. " The Man Who Never Returned" has to be my favorite. My father raised us on bluegrass, country, folk, gospel, you name it. Buddy Holly was favorite of mine too

Heather