Interview with Tommy-May 19 2011 Talk of new album

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Re: Interview with Tommy-May 19 2011 Talk of new album

Post by Karlwerneth »

Who knows what's going on. They might have an albums worth already recorded and if they don't, I hope it doesn't get over analyzed or rehearsed to death. No matter what, I know it'll be worth the wait. One or two Dan songs would be nice though.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Karlwerneth wrote:Who knows what's going on. They might have an albums worth already recorded and if they don't, I hope it doesn't get over analyzed or rehearsed to death. No matter what, I know it'll be worth the wait. One or two Dan songs would be nice though.
My guess is that the best songs will be left off the album, at least, if past behavior is any indication.

Phil

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

someone over on the jayhawks fanpage said this about the status of their next album

"Tommy is like the energizer bunny compared to Axl! I think a bigger problem is that since Dave, Danny and Tommy don't live in Mpls, any studio time up here requires significant logistical coordination. From what I've heard, significant progress has been made - real progress, not Chinese Democracy "progress."

So, whatever that actually means (it does sound promising though), if/when the new cd is out, I'll be buying it on the day it comes out.
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I found myself reading Tommy Stinson's twitter (oh yes) and a couple of weeks ago he posted that he had a great week of recording with Soul Asylum... (so if they're still in the recording phase after a year now...)

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I think he said in another tweet or an interview or something a few months ago that they were supposed to finish recording the last week of March. Guess that didn't happen.

*crosses arms and taps foot* I'm waiting...

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

new article http://www.billboard.com/news/soul-asyl ... 2152.story
''The people that are talking about putting it out said they needed six months" for set up, Pirner. "So I said, 'Man, I'm gonna turn this thing in,' 'cause six months is a long time to wait. So I hope it'll be (turned in) within the next couple weeks. That's my plan, at least."
So am I getting this right... 6 more months? That will probably turn into more months anyway... damn, I hope it's out by summer 2013...

njsoul
Marionette

Post by njsoul »

Question here. The guys have been saying that they hope to have the album out in the Fall. Then in the Billboard article Dave talked about the 6 months prep time and how he's turning the album in in a couple weeks, etc. I was wondering about when that interview was done. It came out in like early July I believe. Was the interview done at that time and you're looking at a Jan/Feb release? Or was that interview done earlier and just published at that point and the whole 6 month wait does expire in the Fall which would corroborate the release time the guys have be mentioning.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

njsoul wrote:Question here. The guys have been saying that they hope to have the album out in the Fall. Then in the Billboard article Dave talked about the 6 months prep time and how he's turning the album in in a couple weeks, etc. I was wondering about when that interview was done. It came out in like early July I believe. Was the interview done at that time and you're looking at a Jan/Feb release? Or was that interview done earlier and just published at that point and the whole 6 month wait does expire in the Fall which would corroborate the release time the guys have be mentioning.
Don't take what they say too seriously when it comes down to an album being released... not trying to be negative, but if we had to believe what they said before, then this album would have been released over a year ago already... let's just hope it will come out sometime next year.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote: Don't take what they say too seriously when it comes down to an album being released... not trying to be negative, but if we had to believe what they said before, then this album would have been released over a year ago already... let's just hope it will come out sometime next year.
correction: lets just hope it will come out sometime.

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote:
Closer wrote: Don't take what they say too seriously when it comes down to an album being released... not trying to be negative, but if we had to believe what they said before, then this album would have been released over a year ago already... let's just hope it will come out sometime next year.
correction: lets just hope it will come out sometime.

Phil
You, sir, are even more negative than I am, but I can't blame ya...