New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
levybaxter
Runaway

Re: New Album "Delayed Reaction" out July 17th, 2012

Post by levybaxter »

I like the cover.

Bono
Marionette

Post by Bono »

I think the people complaining about the album cover come off as incredibly anal. Sorry but it's true. It is dissapointing t have only a handful of "new" songs but it will be nice to have studio version of the ones we've only heard live. My guess is By the Way will have been redone. I hope so. I love that song and it would be interesting to hear a new take on it.

I found it interesting that the news release referd to Tommy as "EX-Guns N Roses" he's still in Guns N' Roses to my knowledge
Never, forever, whatever!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Bono wrote:
I found it interesting that the news release referd to Tommy as "EX-Guns N Roses" he's still in Guns N' Roses to my knowledge
i noticed that too but in another link that was posted it said 'ex replacements and current gnr bassist' or something that was specifically NOT 'ex' .

TANEYTOWN
Marionette

Post by TANEYTOWN »

I'm cool. Just want something new. Any chance the have a few iTunes extra songs? Seen a lot of bands do this. Would still die for a studio cut of freak Accident.

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Yes, Freak Accident and Wandering Eyes are my two "unreleased" favourites along with Some Obsession and Easy To Avoid. The chosen songs for "Delayed Reaction" could create quite a collective. I'm glad they're still recording and playing live. I'll see y'all out there to see your reaction :o 2023 doesn't seem that far away anymore.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Karlwerneth wrote:Yes, Freak Accident and Wandering Eyes are my two "unreleased" favourites
Those two would have also made more sense, they only exist in crappy live versions and have never been officially released... hell, By The Way was released on a compilation album just last year.
Karlwerneth wrote: 2023 doesn't seem that far away anymore.
If there will ever be a new SA album after this ''new'' one, then that's probably the year it will be released.
Last edited by Closer on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Yes, Wandering Eyes is my favorite “unreleased” too! :D
About the album, I think of it like this: don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I’m not criticizing those here that complain about it. I mean, SA know that they had their peak, and honestly, I didn’t think that the album would ever come out, with all the delays and everything. So now that it did, I’m just glad that it did! And as I said, they know they reached their peak and I don’t think they are bothered that much with all the fuss that goes with the recording, touring, promoting bla bla bla. This album looks to me as if they had a jam session and decided to play with it and record it and voila! here’s the new album. I just think they’re having a lot of fun just playing music and are much more bothered with their personal lives to “allow” themselves to be caught up in all the mess of recording business and releasing an album. To me, it really looks as if this album is a gift to their fans for sticking with them for so long. Not something to get too excited about, but something to just have fun with.

And I completely understand the disappointed ones here. It is something the fans have been expecting for very, very long, and just to get something they already have.

I haven’t read everything you’ve written in this thread so I’m probably repeating somebody else’s words. But ok. :) If I am, sorry for all this babbling.

Oh, yeah, the cover art. When I first saw it, I thought it was a “teaser” of sorts. Like something temporary. And that when the album really came out, if you went out to buy it, you’d find a completely different, the real, cover art. I’m still half expecting this to be true. :D Like as if they’re gonna change it every day now and show us the real thing.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

You're probably partly right, spodiba. I'm pretty disappointed but when I do post here I'm just kinda making fun of it now... it's my sense of humour, which I'm sure no one gets. I just see this as maybe the last SA album, if not... it will probably take half a decade again (if not longer)... and a few new songs isn't a lot to chew on after already a ridiculously long wait, especially not if you were expecting something like the Silver Lining again.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote:You're probably partly right, spodiba. I'm pretty disappointed but when I do post here I'm just kinda making fun of it now... it's my sense of humour, which I'm sure no one gets. I just see this as maybe the last SA album, if not... it will probably take half a decade again (if not longer)... and a few new songs isn't a lot to chew on after already a ridiculously long wait, especially not if you were expecting something like the Silver Lining again.
half a decade... if only we could be so lucky. The way things are going I'd be amazed to see another one (discounting the punk cover album) before 2020.

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

That's why I said ''if not longer", but I also typed that I think this might be the last one... and that might be one of the reasons I got my hopes up for this one... only a handful of real new songs isn't a lot for something that might be the last material we get to hear.

Oh, and for all the people that consider Let's All Kill Each Other also a new song... I don't, because it's way too mediocre and it's almost four years old. A lot of other bands that tour so little release two new albums in that time span.