Soul Asylum covers CD?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
GraveDancer
Runaway

Re: Soul Asylum covers CD?

Post by GraveDancer »

I cant sing or play worth a hoot either, but this sounded like a fun project - so I tried to cover GOOD FOR YOU off the Silver Lining.
Perhaps this version can be a hidden track on the "Enter The Soul Asylum" tribute CD :D

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects ... ForYou.mp3

BTW, sorry for the long link. I have no idea what Im doing. So if anyone can edit it -I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

SoulPuppy
Runaway

Post by SoulPuppy »

That sounded pretty good. I like what you did at the end. What did you use to record it? Also, how did you do the drums?

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

I'm a musician and when Karl died it hit me very hard. :cry:

I went to my bands practice space and got REALLY drunk and recorded my version of " Passing Sad Daydream "

For some reason that's the song that fit the moment for me.

I sang and played all the instruments.

I do have to say it's a hard song to sing and I'm no Dave but I don't think it's that bad.

This was never meant to be released or anything for various reasons but I thought I'd share it here.

It was more of my tribute to Karl .

" This was written By Mr. Karl Mueller "

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/634423
Last edited by LittleTooClean on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

WOW! both those (good for you and passing sad daydream) were great! i'm very impressed. sounds way better than me belting out in my car...
thanks for sharing.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Maybe I will post a cover someday (but that has the most remote possibility), but it will take me a long time for me to convince my mates (not to mention forcing them to listen to SA, I never did - but for many months now EVERYBODY within my circle knows that SA started loooong before the 90s, so yes, I talked about the band much without even realizing it).
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

SoulPuppy wrote:That sounded pretty good. I like what you did at the end. What did you use to record it? Also, how did you do the drums?
Thanks SoulPuppy and Zany! - glad u dug it. I recorded this using Sony Acid 2.0 software. I have a little mixer that plugs into the computer. My guitar, mic, & keyboard/bass go through the mixer directly into the pc. The drums are loops. (Beta Monkey Music Acoustic Drum loops.) Then I tweak/manipulate the loops to fit the tune/rolls and stuff.

I also liked Little Too Clean's version of Passing Sad Daydream. Really like the vocals. His band's other songs are also def worth checking out.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Great job you guys! ;)

I belt out soul asylum songs now and then although I've never recorded anything. I'm also known to start singing in the car just for the hell of it. My friends can attest to it. ;) The other night, I was trying to give my cousin an idea of Dave's lyrical brain by singing the first part of Never Really Been. He was impressed by the words, and my voice? Crappy at the time, but I managed without breaking my voice entirely. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

SoulPuppy
Runaway

Post by SoulPuppy »

I'm about halfway done with my cover of Closer to the Stars. I'll post it when I get it done. Unfortunately, I'll be gone quite a bit over the next few weeks.

Is anyone else out there working on a cover?

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I am working on my cover as well. Like you, it may be a few weeks before I finish it. This is a lot of fun!

SoulPuppy
Runaway

Post by SoulPuppy »

I have a rough draft of my song done. I'll try to get it posted so you guys can have a listen. How is everyone else coming?