Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
LuckyLittleGirl
Runaway

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by LuckyLittleGirl »

When I come to this thread, it goes to the first page and my eye goes to 'that guy' saying "if [Soul Asylum] really cared about their fans...you deserve better than this." I highly resent him saying that. I don't like his tone and I don't like this Lousy 'conspiracy'. that being said, i don't want to sound ungrateful for the last thirty years of ...not goodness, but greatness. i love Dan. and i'm sad and scared. but of course I agree with Yaz that it is his life. live and let live. all im sayin is: boo.
i just hate feeling so unaware of what's going on. don't make me feel like a stranger guys. lol. sorry, i had to ;)
Last edited by LuckyLittleGirl on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Well said, L.L.G.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Oh people, please... some of you are way too dramatic with your "borrowed" time and what not. If Dan is out of the band then it's a sad day for any SA fan, but they should have communicated that already... come on, it would take a few minutes to post a message here... but are we surprised? They've always (from what I know) been bad communicators, at least towards their fanbase. Let's just wait and see what the story is.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Closer wrote:Oh people, please... some of you are way too dramatic with your "borrowed" time and what not. If Dan is out of the band then it's a sad day for any SA fan, but they should have communicated that already... come on, it would take a few minutes to post a message here... but are we surprised? They've always (from what I know) been bad communicators, at least towards their fanbase. Let's just wait and see what the story is.
You're right, and I don't think the official statement (which is probably going to take a couple more days to come out) isn't going to be QUITE as bad as we fear. I'm not so sure it's going to be as good as we want to hear, but I'm cautiously optimistic. All we can do is hope...and wait.

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the official statement from the band is something along the lines of this:

As you all know, Dan missed our show last weekend in Spain. Well, it all happened for a great reason. As you may have just read, The Replacements are working on a new covers album. First, Dan was asked to help lay down some tracks on the new record which just so happened to be on the same day as our already booked Spain show. To help our good buddy, Tommy, he happily did this and therefore we found someone to fill in for Dan while he was in the studio. Second, we're happy to announce that we'll be joining The Replacements on all dates of the upcoming nationwide The Replacements reunion tour.

Hey, it's fun to think positively :D

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Okay, I'm on board with Travis. This is my kind of announcement :)

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

Ok my fellow SA peeps - I haven't been able to write until now. Have felt sucker punched, kicked in the gut and slightly betrayed. If I was in Spain and someone other than Dan came on stage, I would have expected an explanation immediately. For this crazy group of SA fans who spend our time and money to support SA's music, some sort of update would have been the "right" thing to do. BUT! As most of us have already stated, SA and management have never been good about keeping us up to speed on things. They go dark for months sometimes, right?! So we dutifully honor their privacy as frustrating as it may be....though this time, I really believe this is about more than them. It is about us too. ~end rant~

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

Hey Dave for Prez, I've been wondering why we haven't heard from you on this. I have to agree, how hard can it be to let us know what's up?

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

Marta wrote:Hey Dave for Prez, I've been wondering why we haven't heard from you on this. I have to agree, how hard can it be to let us know what's up?
Oh I'm here :D

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

Dave4Prez wrote:Ok my fellow SA peeps - I haven't been able to write until now. Have felt sucker punched, kicked in the gut and slightly betrayed. If I was in Spain and someone other than Dan came on stage, I would have expected an explanation immediately. For this crazy group of SA fans who spend our time and money to support SA's music, some sort of update would have been the "right" thing to do. BUT! As most of us have already stated, SA and management have never been good about keeping us up to speed on things. They go dark for months sometimes, right?! So we dutifully honor their privacy as frustrating as it may be....though this time, I really believe this is about more than them. It is about us too. ~end rant~
The bands privacy trumps everything, however that can easily be maintained. Going on with a VERY different lineup without saying a word about it is not something that I find appropriate in the least. People are paying money to see shows, and traveling to see shows, and they DESERVE to know who is going to play with them at the show. Considering how connected the world is, that means everyone will know. Seeing Dave play with someone else is not the same as seeing a Soul Asylum show, and I think we all know it. If it was billed as Soul Asylum, and we knew Dan wouldn't be there, it would be one thing, but at least we'd know.

I know my views on the matter haven't been that popular, but when I said that the band would become a parody of themselves, I meant it. Soul Asylum has a brand name associated with them. It's hard enough to get others to take them seriously as a band when they're playing county fairs across the country, but I can understand why they're doing that. At least they've been the same band, and are still rocking out. I don't want them to look like the has been band with one original member playing county fairs etc. They deserve better than that, and more respect than that will grant them. I'll love them regardless, but I do think the fans deserve to know who is or is not playing before going to a show. They don't have to know why dan isn't going to be there, or if it's permanent, but they should know IF he's going to be there.

Phil