Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by OneLovedBand »

LuckyLittleGirl wrote:Danny is Loved. that is evidenced over and over in this thread. i wanna write a heartfelt line or two about how much he's always meant to me. i don't want to bother him, i hope he has a nice day. but if the words come out good enough, i think i owe a great deal to Murph. (if you don't get that, sorry. listen to more folk music. any day now.)
If anything good has come out of this, it's nice to see others expressing how much Dan is loved and how much his contribution to the band means to us.

As for the wait: I'm sure no one is intentionally trying to torture us. If something was shared in confidence or all the details are not yet worked out or even if someone is still searching for the right words to say, I think it's fine not to say anything. Better to be careful what you say than to speak hastily.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

OneLovedBand wrote:Better to be careful what you say than to speak hastily.
Words to live by, certainly.

And I second (or 322nd) the hope that Dan's aware of the esteem in which fans hold him and the other gentlemen. Truly, what's made me such a fan is twofold:

It's obvious that I'm a fan of the music itself; it takes real talent and committment to consistently come up with such great songs and live performances. Rarely do I listen to an album all the way through - not so when I put on SA.

The other piece, though, has nothing to do with the music; part of why I'm so fond of them is the (admittedly very limited interactions) I've had with the guys. They - Dan in particular - seemed to be truly interested in conversing with me, a random fan who'd only been to her second and third shows; I think it's lovely that they appear to still appreciate the fans.

(Even though I whined and moaned about the interminable drive from Long Island to CT!).

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

Frustrated, Incorporated ain't the half of it but I know we all wish SA, Dan, Dave and Michael peace - whatever that means to them as a band and as individual humans.

However, patience is certainly not one of my virtues and this is the first day in like 10 years that I haven't been able to eat. If anyone knows me, they know that Soul Asylum is my soul's asylum and I know so many of you feel exactly the same way.

Yet I also know in my gut that the announcement is going to hurt and a serious grieving period will ensue. I understand no one died, thanks goodness but a part of me will if/when SA is no more.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Dave4Prez wrote:However, patience is certainly not one of my virtues and this is the first day in like 10 years that I haven't been able to eat.
I hear ya. I wouldn't be so impatient myself, but I was planning on going the Richmond show which is in 2 weeks, and I kinda need to know what's going on before we drive 7 hours.

I barely ate anything the other day though. I've been in an okay mood the last few though and trying not to waste it, because if Dan's really out of the band, it's gonna be a long time before things are normal again for me.

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

My husband (who got me into SA in the first place) and I work dissimilar hours, and I often futz around on the Internet when he's not around; when he calls me on his meal break, he asks, "So, any news on the Dan Murphy front?"

Alas, I have to keep telling him that there is not.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I have to say, I'm really displeased with the way this has all been handled. The only reason we were clued into this at all was because of that Pablo guy, so if it wasn't for him, we'd still be completely in the dark. I can't say this for sure because I obviously have no idea what's going on in the mangers' heads, but I feel that if it wasn't for the informant posting and Jim reaching out to Wes for an answer, the management wouldn't have made any attempt to let us know what the deal is.

They have shows coming up in the very near future, and it's really unfair to people planning to go to those shows that they have to wait so long. We better know by Wednesday what's going on.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

AlyssaJones wrote:I have to say, I'm really displeased with the way this has all been handled. The only reason we were clued into this at all was because of that Pablo guy, so if it wasn't for him, we'd still be completely in the dark. I can't say this for sure because I obviously have no idea what's going on in the mangers' heads, but I feel that if it wasn't for the informant posting and Jim reaching out to Wes for an answer, the management wouldn't have made any attempt to let us know what the deal is.

They have shows coming up in the very near future, and it's really unfair to people planning to go to those shows that they have to wait so long. We better know by Wednesday what's going on.
Agreed. Something should be said even if it is just a "no final decisions have been made or we are working through some issues.

darth monkey
Lone Rider

Post by darth monkey »

Mono, have you since talked to the manager yet; if not do you think you could call him again today? It's quite possible he forgot about this cause as you can see we're all getting nowhere as well as kinda getting impatient.

Remember, as you kinda jokingly said the other day in the chat, "There's no time for waiting". ;)

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

While I agree that some kind of update is in order, the longer this is taking makes me think that it isn't something so simple as black and white. Maybe this whole thing has prompted some conversations that needed to be had and it's going to take a little while to work things out. Maybe what seemed certain is not so certain and with a little patience we can get a little bit better news? Just speculation, but they are only people after all. It might take them awhile to sort things out and decide what the future will hold. They have been in a band together since '83 but have also been friends, business partners, etc. So there might be lots going on that we need to give them a chance to sort out. All the same, yes please. An update would be helpful.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

darth monkey wrote:Mono, have you since talked to the manager yet; if not do you think you could call him again today? It's quite possible he forgot about this cause as you can see we're all getting nowhere as well as kinda getting impatient.
Believe me, I would like to find out an answer as soon as possible as much as everyone else. No I haven't contacted Wes since the other day and definitely wouldn't today (as you mentioned) considering its a weekend. I most likely won't even contact him again (I highly doubt he forgot considering the subject at hand) until I get a call/email from him. What he told me (even tough it wasn't an answer we would have liked to hear) is exactly what I posted and what he wanted to notify everyone of. Unfortunately, that's what all we have to go by as of now.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com