Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lampros
Caged Rat

Re: 2012 September 29th - Casilla, pabellón de la, Bilbao, S

Post by lampros »

This is a shocking piece of information. We deserve to know what is going on.
In any case it is also necessary to verify the information and its source. We do not know the one that gives us the shockingt information. I do not want to shoot the messenger, but i do not know if he or she deserves to be trusted.

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

I have a question:
Dear messenger,
why diid you decide to join this forum by making such a disclosure?

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

pablolousearama wrote:I don't have a close personal or business relationship with any current or former member of the band, their record label or their management, nor do I have a vested interest in any current or future business activities related to the band.
You may well be spot-on in your claims; I have no idea and don't wish to accuse you of anything. That said, the quoted section makes me wonder:

If you're not on the "inside track", as the saying goes, how did you come by such seemingly inside information? It'd seem to me that "Dan, the co-founder of the band, is leaving after 30+ years" would be info known only to a select few (until it was released in a statement). But perhaps I'm wrong....

Color me curious.

Edit: Just want to add something; the manner by which you came to know what you claim to know isn't entirely irrelevant - in theory, anyway:

Let's say (for the sake of argument only!) that you found this out because you're employed by Dan's antiques business - and that we can somehow verify that. That gives you a somewhat higher degree of credibility than if you found out 'cause you heard it from a guy who heard it from a girl whose cousin tends bar at First Avenue.

See what I'm saying? Now, I understand this means nearly zilch in practice, as you likely aren't keen on giving such info to a bunch of strangers (nor should you be).

My $0.04.
Last edited by Educatrix on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

pablolousearama wrote:It's really irrelevant who I am or how I know what I know. You can disparage my veracity all you want but that won't change what's transpired. Like I said, I don't have dog in this hunt.
How 'bout you can the mysterious act and just pony up with some sources? I'm not going to believe you just because you tell us to.

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

Man... say this aint so .... sad days if true

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

I was talking to my husband about this rumor and he made a good point:

Why would Dan opt out? It doesn't appear to be a terribly taxing gig. I mean, touring is a pain, I'm sure, but they do relatively few dates per year. Judging from the past, they put out albums when they feel they're ready. He even referred to the antiques business as his "real job."* Why bother giving up something he doesn't even consider a job, per se?

Just another thought from the peanut gallery.

* I briefly spoke with him a couple months ago after a show; that's when he referred to the antiques thing as his real job. Whether he was half-kidding or not, I think it indicates that he sees SA as something other than what he does to make a living.

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

You would think they would've cancelled the show if Dan was in the band.if he is gone which im skeptical about Dave might feel obligated to fill out the remaining shows.plus they have a new album out so he is obligated to the label to tour.and the only way i could see him going on as SA is because of Michael in almost every interview he goes on and on about him being his drummer and how he's the best.if Dave goes on as a solo act with Michael they wont get that same turn out at there concerts or even get the same type of gigs without the SA brand name. Dave couldnt afford to lose the drummer he always searched for. remember Dave was originally the bands drummer drumming is very important to him.DAN is one of a kind you cant replace him.but would anyone not see SA without Dan?

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

Also has SA ever done a gig without DAN?anyone know?

Educatrix
Caged Rat

Post by Educatrix »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:You would think they would've cancelled the show if Dan was in the band.if he is gone which im skeptical about Dave might feel obligated to fill out the remaining shows.plus they have a new album out so he is obligated to the label to tour.
Why do you say that they would've cancelled their appearance if Dan was still in the band but unable to appear? Why wouldn't they have brought in a sub?

I mean, Spain was (if I understand correctly) a benefit show; I'm not sure they'd cancel a benefit gig unless Dave couldn't sing. So perhaps Dan's gone and they played out of legal and moral obligation; perhaps he's still a member with some private business to attend to, and the remainder of the band opted to do the benefit rather than not. I'm just not sure we can tell anything from the fact that they opted to perform without him.

And to answer your question: I'm not sure I'd pay to see Dave, Michael, Winston/Tommy/whomever and another guitarist perform as Soul Asylum; they're all very talented and capable performers who I'd see as another project, but my gut feels it wouldn't be Soul Asylum if one of the co-founders was no longer with the band.

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

How 'bout you can the mysterious act and just pony up with some sources? I'm not going to believe you just because you tell us to.
I'm with Alyssa. Please don't feed the trolls. 8-)