Dan's status with the band

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Dan's status with the band

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Again, that is the band's job, not a fan's job. We know what we know and we share what we can - and if there's not enough info to satisfy you, it's because we just don't have that info. Feel free to contact their management company directly, there are some good links in the upper right of each page here.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I think you're asking alot of information there, Darth Monkey. I can tell ya that Jim's a good guy and that's all really you need to know.

But regarding what he knows, I'll tell you this much: The first ANYBODY heard of this rumor was from our informant. Wes never said anything initially to Jim. Jim had to call him. Trust me, he knows nothing more, and once he does know and can tell us here, he will. Be patient.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

So no news yet, I see. My little sister texted me today to check in to see if there was any news about Dan. (I was telling her about it recently.) She's not a fan but has gone with me to see a few shows, and I thought it was sweet she was concerned.

I don't want this to be the end of Dan's run with the band. It wouldn't totally surprise me if that was the case, and I think the rational part of my brain would understand. It's that pesky irrational part. I honestly don't think the idea of the end of his tenure has hit me or will hit me until it actually happens. I'm not sure yet how I would feel about the band continuing with that name without him. I do feel people traveling to shows deserve to know who is there, and I do wish things were communicated better from the band and/or their management. However, maybe they are still figuring it out.

So I guess I will keep checking here and Facebook...

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

yeah i cant understand having any problem with Jim.he's always kept us informed.as far as SOUL ASYLUM becoming a parody of itself.as long as Dave's in the band that would never happen. if Dave was 90 playing as SOUL ASYLUM by himself i would still see him play.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I wonder if some of you guys are familiar with rock and roll. This is our "Where's Izzy?" moment. We don't have an answer yet because either Dave is in denial, or doesn't have one yet.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

Holy shiitake mushrooms batman! So I get all excited that the 'Mats Reunion is a "Possibility", read some odd message from the SA Facebook page, come here and well fuck! I guess I could lose SA if the Replacements get back together, I mean it would certainly fill the void. Sad don't get me wrong, but I thought the 400 Bar show with Karl sitting for a couple songs with gauze over his neck was going to be the last show I'd see of Soul Asylum, I was all choked up that night. Then after Karl's passing we not only got a new album, we got an awesome line up that included Tommy Fuckin Stinson and Michael Bland. That wore on and I thought it wouldn't last that long as the gigs got sporadic, then there was this year with Delayed Reaction! Holy shit a new album! Sure it had old filler material, but still I loved it. I am also so happy I saw them 5 times this year, especially Down in Des Moines, that was a great show and Dan seemed to be in great spirits. If this is the moment where Dan departs, well I'll be sad for sure, but It's been a great ride, and I look forward to the occaisions where he does get out to play, and fuck I like that Travis guys idea of Dan being a Replacement, that'd be so sweet! Ah it's fun to dream. Well eagerly awaiting the official news.

Carry On, Carry On, Carry On

Now while searching for more info on the matter, I ironically stumbled upon this old article seemingly from the LYDLS days, but oddly stamped July of this year. It is Dan's take on the whole dynamic of the Band. I had never seen it before.

http://www.citypages.com/1995-07-12/mus ... t-anymore/
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Boo! Still nothing, eh? I've bought tickies for Atlanta and Orlando and so want to know what levels of trepidatiousness and/ or excitedness I should be planning for these shows. It's important to have the build up of the proper emotion in preparation for the show. Don't they understand that we must be prepared to properly look forward to these things? :) Sigh.

All I can say is that I am hopeful for some kernel of good coming out of whatever statement they make. Whether it might be that Dan will not be playing ALL shows and is cutting back on time on the road but is not completely leaving us / them (we tend to personalize these things) or even that he might be at least playing these last shows that are scheduled so we will have an opportunity to say good bye and have some closure if this really is the end of Soul Asylum as we know it.

I will always go to see both Dan and Dave in any configuration of music they participate in - whether it be Soul Asylum, solo or whatever else they create. But it will be a very very sad day if Soul Asylum with the two of them is really over.

However, as someone else already said, there have been many times that they have stuck it out over the years when it seemed like things were winding down and I have been fortunate enough to have experienced '80's Soul Asylum, '90's Soul Asylum and then we got some 00's Soul Asylum. And then wow! An amazing 2010's Soul Asylum with this new record and the shows. So certainly can't complain about what they have given me. It will just be very sad to see it end if that is the news we are awaiting.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Asylunt wrote:
Now while searching for more info on the matter, I ironically stumbled upon this old article seemingly from the LYDLS days, but oddly stamped July of this year. It is Dan's take on the whole dynamic of the Band. I had never seen it before.

http://www.citypages.com/1995-07-12/mus ... t-anymore/
Thanks for sharing that.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Holy crap. Haven't been on here in a bit. Saw a fb post about the Triple Rock "Dave only" show, and thought it was odd that it wouldn't be a full band show. Then I came here and read this. I feel sick...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Another day, no news. Will just have to wait. I've been a close follower of the band for over 20 years and it would definately take some getting used to any major change....but that's life, I guess. No matter if we like it or not, life happens to everyone....even Soul Asylum and its members.

But as long as there are members that are still performing, I will be there! And when that stops, I will still be listening!

Hang in there everyone!
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""