2013 Articles and Interviews

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Articles and Interviews

Post by OneLovedBand »

I love "Candy From A Stranger". I saw SA a lot when they were playing songs from this record live, so I would agree it sounds better live than recorded, but I almost always feel that way about any songs from any record from any band so that's no surprise for me. Maybe the difference it a bit greater on this one, don't know. I feel a bit emotionally detached from "The Silver Lining" and would agree that some of my faves were left off. I'm probably too detached from it to really comment on it. I do love "Cruel Intentions" and "Delayed Reaction" in general. Love, love, love songs that sound like SA, but I think Dave's got talent that expands beyond that sound too. I don't mind hearing him explore new things. It's probably good for him creatively to do so as well. Dave4Prez...loved your comment about Dave being a poet first. I agree that when you really listen to what he's saying, it's quite profound.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

The only Candy songs I've heard at concerts are See You Later and I Will Still Be Laughing, and they both sound awesome live. I wish they'd play more from it and stop treating it like the red-headed stepchild of their discography. It's a good album!

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

"Candy" is great. I saw a Dave & Dan promo gig here in Toronto in 1998 and they played "the game", "New York blackout", "Blood into wine", "close" and the usual acoustic songs which was really cool. Many songs on "candy" are underrated. I would like to see a few pop up again live.

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

I love CANDY too.so many say CANDY sucks and say it like its fact..maybe one of the reason its so special is because they rarely play any of those songs live.

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Ya, Cradle Chain, Creatures of Habit, See You Later, No Time For Waiting should be re-visited. There's some good writing there! Oh ya, Close is... there. A really good album sonically. Why do people not like it? One of my favourites... It's kinda moody.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Candy suffers from the same thing that ailed TSL - some of the best songs were left off the album. The live shows they did in 1997 had some seriously awesome setlists (check out the Stone Pony show), and supposedly a tape circulated with the original/different tracklisting. If Losin' It, Lucky One, Candy, and Black Star made it to the album, it would be more highly rated. Also, Candy (the album) was the last straw for the old-school fans. They didn't like Dim Light, and they thought Candy was outright garbage. And the 1998 tour opening for Matchbox Twenty was pretty much the lowest point in the band's career. So that all leaves Candy with a negative vibe hanging to it. I'm not surprised Dave has distanced himself from most of it.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Well when you put it that way, I guess I can see the problems with it. Still, that doesn't make the album itself bad, and I hope Dave doesn't have too much baggage attached to it anymore, since I'd like to hear more of it done live. Hearing I Will Still Be Laughing at the last concert was a real treat.

To each his own of course, but at the end of the day there's alot of love for it from us real fans. :D (And people who are real fans but still don't like it, that's fine too :P )

praukar
Runaway

Post by praukar »

interesting discussion on Candy.....it is nice to see them throw laughing back in the set list. Even though not on the actual album, I remember when they use to play candy from a stranger at almost every show.....great song that should be polished up again.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »