EnterTheSoulAsylum.com Shut Down, Shut Down, Shut Down

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

EnterTheSoulAsylum.com Shut Down, Shut Down, Shut Down

Post by Monolith Maniac »

In about an hour from now http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com will be shutting down parts of its site until February 1st. During this down time, we will be currently updating the database to make way for an expanded discography section.

You will be able to still access and use the Say What You Will forums as well as the chat. Access to anywhere else on the site will be unavailable.

If you have any personal questions/concerns with the site you can still feel free to send a private message via the forums.

Keep these sites bookmarked in the meantime (if you haven't already :) ):

http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/Forum/
http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/Chat/

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Glad you kept the forum up while shuting down! Great site I am sure it will be even better.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Two minutes into Voodoo Doll, Dave sings, "I'm strung out on pretty, pretty girls." While that doesn't apply to me (you wish), I would say it in good conscience with "pretty, pretty girls" substituted for "nasty, nasty code." Let me explain:

Over the past few weeks in particular, me and Jim have been working a lot on the site, and it's been my burden to write all of the computer code that powers it. It has meant a lot of work, and I've come to realize that it's ultimately too much of a challenge to build a site in this way and at the same time provide content for it. The site upgrade that we had planned for today simply isn't what we had hoped it to be, and as such, we've decided not to publish it.

Don't worry, though: We're not abandoning the site; we're simply shifting our focus a bit. We'll be drawing from the wealth of publishing systems out there to create a new site that's a lot easier to maintain. It may not be 100% tailor-made, but it'll let us concentrate wholeheartedly on the content instead, and that's where the fun is.

I'll keep you posted on what happens. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Finally, Jim put together a funny little audio file that explains the situation in a highly original way.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

No problem. Thanks for the update and keeping up the forum. Cheers! :D

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Homesick wrote:
Finally, Jim put together a funny little audio file that explains the situation in a highly original way.
:roll: :wink:
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Alright, everyone: we're back. There's still some stuff that needs to be taken care of here and there, but the bulk of it is done; the rest will be a work in progress (as always on the web). Expect some dead links for the next couple of weeks or so.

If you've got any questions, you know where to find us.

Oh, and so you know where to start when exploring the new site:
  • We've got several categories in the discography now (with one more on the way, even). Some of them are pretty sparse at the moment, but we've got all of the data gathered and just need to format it properly before putting it up there.
  • We've now got support for multiple videos under any given song, so check out your favorites and see if we're offering something you haven't seen yet.
  • Songs A-Z provides a quick way to check out all of the band's songs in one place. The list isn't complete yet, and there may even be some dead links in the current list. As with the albums, though, we've got most of the data already and just need to format it a little before uploading it.
  • Finally, for anyone who may have missed it: The articles section has been very neglected so far. I'm itching to write some new stuff, though, and I've already got an article in the works. I just finished an interview with Danny Alexander, author of Liner Notes, so you can expect to see that published on the site sometime in the near future. (Sorry, I don't want to set any deadline. Last time I did, it turned out I couldn't keep it very well, so I'll refrain from that for now. ;))

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I just added a bunch of new songs to the discography. A lot of them are unreleased tracks and as such don't show up in the main discography just yet, but you can find them through Songs A-Z for now. The lyrics have all been transcribed by Jim, so he's really the one to thank. Finally, most of the songs still have Dave as the composer even if they're really cover songs or songs by Dan; we'll be fixing that as we go along.