Lucky One

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
downonuptome
Stranger

Lucky One

Post by downonuptome »

Is there any way I can find the song Lucky One (album?) I know it's in Chasing Amy but does anyone knoiw what part? Any help would be appreciated.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

There was no soundtrack released for Chasing Amy (which Kevin Smith explained on his website), but I did find this: Chasing Amy/ Dogma - Special Edition Soundtrack.

It didn't seem to be on Amazon, though, so I have no idea if it's possible to get hold of it.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Lucky One was released as an additional track on something that was` released during the "Candy" era. I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what release it was included on. I know I own it, but it's packed away in storage, out of my reach.

I did rip it to mp3 format to my collection, but for some reason, when I ripped it, the folder for the CD it came from got called "Losin' It EP", although I don't recall there ever being a disc called that(Losin' It was actually an extra track on the Laughing CD Single, as well as also being on the same disc that Lucky One appeared on, along with Candy From A Stranger, the "title track" that was actually missing on the Candy CD).
This mysteryous disc may have been "The Candy Sampler" EP that had been exclusively available from Indy stores at the time. I do know it was from one of the discs only available from Indy Stores,but I'm just not sure which one it was (there were a few of those "Indy store exclusives" during the Candy promotions) Without having my actual collection at hand, I just can't trust my memory for the actual source. (I'm brain-damaged now, ya know, lol)

Hopefully another collector can clarify what exact disc Lucky One made it onto. I know Dave was pleased that he managed to get it out on something, and, again, my memory is not 100% reliable as to where I heard him mention that, but I "think" it was on one of those webcast radio spots they did during the Candy promo phase, I think this because I recall speaking to Dave specifically about this track, I mentioned that I was disappointed that it didn't make it onto Candy, to which Dave good-naturely grumbled that it was left off because "Dan didn't think it was good enough", and I immediately assured him that it was very a beautiful song,and was one of my favorites of the possible Candy tracks, along with "Lonely For You" I know this wasn't a face-to-face chat, it was via phone, so I'm sure it was when they took my call on that webcast Canadian radio spot. Good times!!! (some things are just too awesome to be forgotten, no matter how many of my neurons are dead now). We fans were blessed with a lot of webcast promo events and goodies to track down and collect during the Candy era. It was a great time to be a fan with online research availablity.

Of course, after typing all that incoherent rambling drival above, I went and looked it up in the discography on Caged Rat's "Never Forever" site, and one of the promos WAS called the Losin' It EP, so I didn't screw up the disc's folder name when I ripped it.

http://members.tripod.com/cagedrat/promo_ep_.htm

Since my FTP server is no longer able to be available to the faithful, and it's unlikely that that limited ed. special promo disc is available anywhere other than ebay, at an outrageous price, IF it ever even appears there, I'd be willing to email my Lucky One mp3 to ppl that want it.

dells

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

It might be available. I have the "losin it" disk and the "candy sampler" and i got them both CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP on ebay. under ten bucks each. definitely look there. failing that..
If i can ever get myself moving with all of this music copying I've been promising to do for people I can make you a copy.

I'm still trying to dig out all of the cd's i didn't unpack when i got here....8 months ago. yeah. about that. i really need to get on that.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

The disk was definitely the independent record store distribution disc (IRD if i recall). I remember calling record stores up all over town to find where I could get this one. Then drove to the one and it was free. Kind of a weird deal as it wasn't like it was free with the purchase of the album, it was just free.

The candy sampler is a very different disc. This was sent out as a promo item a month or two before candy was released. There's really nothing special about it today, as all the songs are on CFAS, GDU, or LYDLS. I do remember when I first got that disc I nearly wore it out with constant playing of the new songs. I don't think I've touched the disc since the candy got released though.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Oh yeah, IRD. I knew it was a three letter acronym. The cd had Losin' It, Lucky one, and Candy. It was free but I remember having to print out a coupon or flyer from the computer before I went to the store. The cd was out around the same time the CFAS cd came out, though I think there might have been about a week or two between the two releases.

As for Chasing Amy, only the instrumental part of the song is heard in the movie, and it's very brief. I think it's heard shortly after Holden and Alyssa get together.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Yep,

I am looking at it, it does say "support your local independent record store http://www.the-ird.com http://www.soulasylum.com . I am sure my husband picked it up in the last year. Unfortunately not for free. Pretty sure he got it at a record store around Purdue (IN) Campus. Love lucky one have heard a couple of times... althought don't know when or where... se la vi :?

downonuptome
Stranger

Lucky One

Post by downonuptome »

Thank you, you've all been very helpful. Chasing Amy is one of my favorite movies and I love Soul Asylum (obviously) so I was wondering what part of the movie it was in. I'll look on ebay and other stores. Thanks again.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

crawl wrote:Yep,
Love lucky one have heard a couple of times... althought don't know when or where... se la vi :?
I love Lucky One and have that disc somewhere, too.

crawl, the correct French spelling of "That's life" is C'est la vie. I can't look at your post without imposing some of my French training. :?

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

LOL, it's a good thing none of you can hear me sing "Are You Sleeping?" in my mangled French! I'm not going to even attempt to spell it!

Adeiu,
Carol