What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Gotta be Oxygen, but I think the whole first half of the album is really strong. (Hmmm. Replace "Oxygen" with "Without a Trace" and... hmmm...) the only song I usually skip is the Great Exaggerator, which for me is one of the very few Soul Asylum songs I find painful to listen to.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

TheJudge wrote:(Hmmm. Replace "Oxygen" with "Without a Trace" and... hmmm...)
I know its probably in parenthesis for a reason, and that you're just thinking (as shown by your "hmmms"), but I'm just a little confused about this part. Care to elaborate?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

It's almost a coin flip for me between "Oxygen" and "Slowly Rising." I've always loved the SHOCK - Shock Treatment for you lyrics but also dig the groovin' feel of "Slowly Rising."

"Oxygen" won my vote not only because the band has so much fun playing that tune, but also because of the way Dan Murphy shouts out SHOCK! is just bloody fun to witness at a show.
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Crazy Mixed up World was my vote. But mainly because my daugther is at NIU... Someone always has a gun.

On another day... I don't know ...each one I like for different reasons and at different times. That is what I think is so awesome about SA. If I am feeling like a slow serious or a hard rock or an up beat. Sometimes a song I don't really like this week, next week I hear something new in it. I really don't think there is a clinker on Silver.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Seeing as how it's been almost a week since I started this poll (which means that I'll be starting another one on Thursday), I thought we could sum it up by sharing our views on the results, and how well they matched our predictions. Granted, the total number of votes isn't high enough for much statistic certainty, but on the other hand, the people on here are some of the most dedicated fans you're likely to meet, and that's gotta count for something.

I fully expected Oxygen to be a favorite, and I'm not surprised about Success Is Not So Sweet and All Is Well. Seeing Crazy Mixed Up World rank that high is a pleasant surprise, to be honest; I thought people would think it a little too cliché—which may have been the case, of course, only it wasn't a drawback at all.

I have to say I was expecting Standing Water to get another vote or two. (I know for a fact that my brother—who is very much into music in general but not Soul Asylum in particular—voted for it as well, so it really only received one vote from a fan, which would be me.) As we discussed earlier, it's a little odd that the lead single didn't get a single vote. Of course, we'd get far more exciting results if everyone on the forum cast their votes. Come on, people: put your privileges to use! ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

So I finally figured out that one has to be signed in to vote, and at last cast my ballot for Crazy Mixed Up World. I'm also surprised that Oxygen wasn't the single, as it had sorta been most people's favorite in the pre-TSL years. I do like Stand Up and Be Strong, but I've heard people say they can't stand the album version but like it in person in concert. Maybe the lyrics are too straight forward for the hard core SA fan, I dunno. One song that has surprised me is Whacha Need. Never really did anything for me at first, plus or minus, but has grown on me and seems to be a concert standout.

-Rob

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Don't be disappointed about the "been a week thing" Sometimes I don't get around to the site that often. And have hit on the polls before and thought, gosh I will have to think about that for a while and come back to find it closed. But it is great that you are getting this stuff out there and I love the forum. Especially love to read about others opinions of favorites and songs. So reading the posts is as cool as reading the poll. Does it hurt to have more than one poll open?

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

g8trcarol wrote: My husband loves "Fearless Leader" but hates having to access it through "Slowly Rising".
Here's a little tip for everyone. It's work, but I wish someone had told me years ago.

Download a program called Wavepad, it's free. I think you can either extract the extended song file through Wavepad, or maybe with EAC (Exact Audio Copy-another free program). Anyhow, with Wavepad, you can break up such needlessly lengthy tracks and split them into two and save as such, and edit out the lengthy silence between tracks as well, and voila, two separate easy-to-acess track files. It's pretty simple once you get the hang out of it, though I've never understood why secret tracks have to be embedded in the last song, why they can't ever be their own track.

Anyhow, so you can then make another copy of the album with the tracks as you want them. I usually back up everything that goes in my car anyway, so I'd be making the 2nd copy regardless.

-Rob

matrok
Runaway

Post by matrok »

I voted for Bus Named Desire. That and All is Well are the "driving" songs for me, but I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite. I love this CD, as does my wife. Where can I hear Directions, Freak Accident and Showtime though?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

matrok wrote:Where can I hear Directions, Freak Accident and Showtime though?
Check your inbox (I sent you 2 emails).

Directions - Demo
Freak Accident - Live at 400 Bar 5/22/04
Showtime - TSL Japanese bonus promo track
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com