What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I just added a "Featured Poll" to the front page, and I thought I'd kick-start the feature by asking a question of my own. (I'd love suggestions for future featured polls, though!)

The Silver Lining is approaching its second birthday, and to be honest, I think the album sounds just as great as it did back in the summer of 2006. It may just be my very favorite SA album, but I'll hold off on saying that conclusively until a couple more years. ;)

After all this time, there's one song in particular that has always stood out in my ears: Standing Water. In my honest opinion, it's the new Runaway Train, and that's saying a lot. There's just so much emotion in that song, and it's the perfect midpoint for the album (although it would have been just as good or maybe even better as the closing track). I sincerely believe that it could have done very well had it aired on the radio. After almost two years of listening to the album, I can safely say that Standing Water gets my vote for best song on The Silver Lining.

(P.S. I know the side column on the front page is a bit crammed right now, but I'm going to rearrange it a little bit and try out another solution that should work better.)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I gave my vote to All is Well, as that was my initial cd favorite.

However, if I get moody enough, the "favorite" tag would probably go to Oxygen or Success is not so Sweet.

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

It's so hard to choose between All Is Well and Oxygen but I had to pick All Is Well.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

swendo
Runaway

Post by swendo »

This is a cool poll and it'd be neat to do for all the albums. I guess I'm the first one to vote for "Crazy Mixed Up World". I like all of TSL, but this one I like the best because it's got awesome, classic Dave-style lyrics and I like the tempo. Oxygen is good, too, because it's got a different sound from anything else they've done and it's sad because it makes me think of Karl and what he went through every time I hear it. The line "all this Oxygen's for you" seems so obviously written by Dave for him and represents the helplessness you feel when somebody you care about is dying and there's nothing you can do. Lately's a good tune, too. I think those are the only three from this album I've still got on my iPod which is probably the biggest litmus test, and of them, I'd have to say Crazy Mixed Up World has stood out the most.

"So take your shattered faith and make it just like new with crazy glue and tape..."

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

swendo wrote:This is a cool poll and it'd be neat to do for all the albums.
Yeah, that would be great. I'll set the tempo to one poll per week and after we've done all the albums (which should take about two months), we can do a "Battle Royale" where the winner from each album faces off against the other winners.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'll have to go with Oxygen. I've liked the song ever since I heard it live back in (probably) 2000, and I think maybe its just grown on me over the years. I've liked hearing the evolution of the song; back from when it had the long intro and slightly different lyrics to today's studio album track (and even now live when they change it up a little).

Very close runners up would be Standing Water and Stand Up and Be Strong. Definitely not one bad song on the album in my opinion (well, ok... I'd probably say that about every SA album)... but I really mean that with The Silver Lining.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Monolith Maniac wrote:Definitely not one bad song on the album in my opinion .
Not even Good For You or the Great Exaggerator? They are defintely skips on my end. Standing Water isn't that bad once it gets going, but someone here rightly pointed out that it could be a Coors Light jingle. Swap those for Freak Accident and Directions, and the album becomes A+ for me. A couple more hard rockers like What's The Use and Showtime, and this album becomes one of my all time favs by anyone. I like it, but just can't help feeling it should have been better.

-Rob

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Yaz McBoo wrote:
Not even Good For You or the Great Exaggerator? They are defintely skips on my end. Standing Water isn't that bad once it gets going, but someone here rightly pointed out that it could be a Coors Light jingle. Swap those for Freak Accident and Directions, and the album becomes A+ for me. A couple more hard rockers like What's The Use and Showtime, and this album becomes one of my all time favs by anyone. I like it, but just can't help feeling it should have been better.

-Rob
Hey now, some of us voted for Great Exaggerator. I just love that song. Sure the line about orange juice is kind of lame, but the song as a whole is great. I just love the lyrics, and the whole laid back feel to it. I remember being so happy when I finally heard it live.

Personally, I think the album should have been a 75 minute album adding Directions, Freak Accident, Showtime, etc. I love all the outtakes from it, and was quite upset to see them get lost. I really wish they would have released some singles so that some of them could have seen the light of day.

Phil

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Yaz McBoo wrote:
Not even Good For You or the Great Exaggerator? They are defintely skips on my end.
-Rob
I skip these songs when I'm wanting to rock. Good For You is sweet but quite repetitious. Maybe that song was for Karen. Great Exaggerator has good lyrics, but it gets repetitious too.

I love Fearless Leader for the lyrics, but it probably wouldn't get my first play as it's on the end of the CD. I voted for Crazy Mixed Up World, coz I love it everytime I play it!

Interesting to see no votes for Stand Up and Be Strong yet. I don't know which department of record companies pick the singles, but that was definitely a miss. I like Lately because of the lyrics, and could see that being a great song for soldiers and their families. It would make more sense as a single to me.

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

I voted for The Great Exaggerator. I love the sound of his voice on that song, especially the way it cracks at the end of exaggerator.

I have to agree, though, I don't think there's a bad song on the album!!