Wish me luck

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Wish me luck

Post by Sometime to Return »

Much like Martin Luther King Jr.; I to have a dream. My dream is to win the $170 million plus lottery this Wednesday. I would care of family, friends, I would purchase a race horse and start my own vineyard. The next thing I would do is have a party for all of you. I'd; also, invite family, friends, neighbors, co-workers etc...

I'd rent out first avenue, hire a video production company to make a cd of the evening, give away a goody bag (which would include a t-shirt, soul asylum cd's etc...) to grab as you left, provide a nice spread, complimentary drinks and; of course a concert by Soul Asylum. The only request I would have from Soul Asylum is that I get to pick the set list (actually, two sets in one night).

So; just for fun, I brain stormed the set list. I came up with something like 76 songs; so I kept narrowing it down and I came up with "reasonable" set list; keeping a song limt and time frame in mind. This list has hard core fans in mind; as well as, people who only know the "hits." Here is what I came up with; in order.

Set #1) Marionette, Oxygen, Stranger, Twiddley Dee, Standing Water, Easy Street, Draggin me down, Long Way Home, Little to Clean, Whatcha need, Freaks, Another World/ Another Day, Grounded, Caged Rat, Can't Go Back, Miracle Mile, I Did My Best, Blood Into Wine, Success is not so sweet, Bus named desire, (to celebrate the Minneapols musc scene of the 1980's, close the set out with a Replacements Cover and a Prince Cover.)

Set #2) Spinning, Closer To The Stars, String Of Pearls, Lately, Runaway Train (for my wife), W3, Guilibles Travel, Standing In the Doorway, Never Really Been, Down On Up To Me, Can't Even Tell, Misery, Black Gold, Veil Of Tears, Without A Trace, Cartoon, I Will Still Be Laughing, Just Like Anyone, Somebody to Shove, Stand Up And Be Strong and Sometme To Return.

I figure this is about three hours of music with about a 30/ 45 minute break between sets. I was really surpised I only had two songs from "Candy"; I think it's an underated cd.

All right, All right...go ahead; rip me, call me names, have fun at my expense etc...Comments? to much time on my hands? It's a slow day at work.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Good luck! :D I would be thrilled to come.

Nice to see Caged Rat on a set list ... it has been a long time!

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Re: Wish me luck

Post by spodiba »

STR,
I just had to say this - I love you for putting marionette there as the first song of the set #1 I simply adore that song! It's one of my top 5, hell, top 3 Soul Asylum songs, maybe even my favourite one!! (favourite one changes on a daily basis :D )

Yeah, i know it's been a while since you posted this, but good luck with lottery if you're playing now!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i'm glad you didn't win in March 08 since i wasn't on here yet and would not have been invited!!! but now that i'm here i'm really hoping you win :)
i like that you even have us getting goody bags!!

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Sounds pretty decent sets to me, nice to have Standing Water on it! I’ve asked Dave several times if they could bring it back into the set list, he said they would try, but they never have :(

We recently had a jackpot on the European lottery reach £130 million the equivalent of over $210 million, which was described at the biggest jackpot in any lottery ever worldwide and its all paid in 1 lump sum tax free!

I bought 5 lottery tickets and was planning with my winnings to Charter a private jet to fly the band and fans on etsa to my city, Liverpool England and to hire the Cavern Club, famous for where the Beetles played the first ever shows - obviously the setlist there would had to have included a few Beetles covers which would have suited Dave nicely as wasn’t he part of a Beetles tribute band in the 90’s?

Anyway needless to say my numbers didn’t come up, someone from Madrid in Spain was the sole winner of the jackpot!

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Spodiba
Reviving an old thread; to much time on your hands? :P
Ah; just kidding, thanks for reading it. Yup; Marionette is one of my favorites as well, definitely top 5.
I was really surpised I only had two songs from "Candy"; I think it's an underated cd.
This was supposed to be sarcasm even though it doesn’t come off thay way.

Andrew I haven’t seen a post from you in awhile (although you may have; don’t get here as much as I used to); good to see you here. Hope things are going well for ya in “jolly ol’ England.”
the Cavern Club, famous for where the Beetles played the first ever shows
...Who are the Beetles? never heard of them :P

Jamie.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Haha, yeah, too much time on my hands ;)
Actually, I wanted to read everything you guys wrote here before I discovered you, and i'm in the middle of end-term exams and don't go out that much, so these days I just stay in and read this in the evenings. So far I've read almost entire general section and after that I'm moving on to other sections, so expect more revivals :)

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

No Black Star in the setlist? Aw c'mon! Well, maybe they'll play it at the zoo (yeah, right).
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.