New Songs (spoiler alert)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: New Songs (spoiler alert)

Post by AlyssaJones »

Interesting stuff to say the least. I don't think I listened to them all, but I liked what I heard. One of them made me raise my eyebrows and I had a total I-wish-I-could-see-the-look-on-my-face-right-now moment, but other than it, I guess I can say it's about what I'm expecting from the new album. Needless to say, I'm excited. :D

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I listened to all the new songs... well, to the spoilers. Almost all of the songs sound very uptempo. Fans that appeal to the folk side of the band and to their quiet songs will be disappointed because it sounds like Dave traded his acoustic guitar in for his electric guitar again this time. But I'm glad he is still evolving as a musician, and apart from ''Oh Karl'' they are all brand new songs to me, so I'm happy about that.

By the way, I don't know how happy band/management is about these spoilers as it seems that the new album is still a long time from being released, as Dave said in an interview recently that it is "likely" that it will come out this year and only just started that pledge thing...

lirinha
Runaway

Post by lirinha »

Hello friends!
Where did you get to hear all the songs? Can give me a link, please? Thank you very much.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Thanks for the info Lance. I suspected that about What We're Dealing With. Nice to see that Hallowed Ground is in there - that song will rock live!! As far as I know there are no proper official releases of these songs, only audience tapes (and they were only played once or twice?), unlike Delayed Reaction where three of the songs were officially released previously (By the Way, Should've Stayed In Bed, Let's All Kill Each Other) and one (Cruel Intentions) had been played often and made its way out on some good-quality tapes. So it's a different thing here, and I think it will be great to have nice recordings of these songs at last.

Dave really could open the vaults on some other tunes, for sure. I would pay better money for proper tapes of so many songs, than I would for a signed lyric sheet or something.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

lirinha wrote:Hello friends!
Where did you get to hear all the songs? Can give me a link, please? Thank you very much.
Go here: http://www.warnerchappell.com/search

Then type "Soul Asylum" into the search box.

Click the little pink "other" box when the results come up.

Click on Soul Asylum.

Click on the song you're interested in hearing.

Click on the "masters" box/tab.

A little play button will appear and you can hear the clip.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I have fond memories of playing the Overreactors show in my car and singing to "What We're Dealing With." I remember "Hallowed Ground" too from the early 2000s.

Sigh...now where is "Freak Accident?"
I love that What We're Dealing With, that one is awesome!

Take a listen to this one though if you have not yet. Sure sounds like Freak Accident to me ??

http://www.warnerchappell.com/song-deta ... 0432194000

edit: maybe that is the song called Hallowed Ground I am thinking of. From those 2001 Fine Line shows...
Last edited by EasyStreet on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

missthisgone wrote:
DEALING---What were dealing with (from the overreactors show)

DOOMSDAY---Hallowed ground (from the late 90s, early 2000s?)
Is Dealing playing for you? Nothing plays for me on that one. Of the new song titles to me, I am only finding a small handful that actually play anything
(Morgans, Can't Help It, Doomsday)

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

ok, that site does not like multiple tabs in the same browser as after so many tabs being open nothing plays anymore.

Here is what plays for me, at least for un released material

Change of Fortune
Catching Fire
Cool
Dealing (not the same song from that Reactors show)
Don't Bother Me
Doomsday
Draggin The Lake
Ladies Man
Moonshine
Morgans Dog
Make It Real
Oh Karl (I've heard this live about 3 or 4 times now)

A couple of these I can't say I like very much, gotta relisten again to figure out what songs they are though, but for the most part I like the material. What I really like is the amount of songs on here that were played at that Overreactors show

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I think it's hard to give an opinion on fragments of more or less twenty seconds, but it can give you a bit of an idea of the sound. I'm glad Freak Accident isn't present so far... I like that song a lot, but I already know it and listened to it a lot of times and I don't need some new pimped up studio version... I like it the way it is with two acoustic guitars and that's it. But that's my opinion.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

"Draggin' the Lake" isn't new.