What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Spinnin'
7%
Bitter Pill
2%
Veil of Tears
13%
Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid)
7%
Something Out of Nothing
5%
Gullible's Travels
13%
Brand New Shine
3%
Easy Street
15%
Grounded
3%
Be On Your Way
3%
We 3
15%
All the King's Friends
13%

Total votes: 60

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Definitely my favorite album. Although I love all the other too. Always hard choses and again I missed the vote but I would have gone with Brand new Shine. Love Nice Guys and Gullibles and also would like to hear Nice Guys live again. Also Spinning is a great live song that never gets played any more. But they still do break out Brand new Shine and I love it live!!!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

crawl wrote:Always hard choses and again I missed the vote but I would have gone with Brand new Shine
As mentioned earlier in one of the other polls, make sure you're logged in first then you'll be able to cast your vote. All the "favorite song" album polls don't have a deadline. Feel free to go back to the other polls and contribute to the ones you thought you missed.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

This poll brings up the issue of best vs. favorite.

"We 3" is the best song -- unusual, emotionally complicated, beautiful, amazing. I really love this song. "Nice Guys" is probably the next best, but neither is my favorite.

"Easy Street", "Brand New Shine" (another unusual song, but in a different way), and "Something Out of Nothing" are the songs I always want to hear when I listen to Horse. The order changes according to my mood at the time.

I finally voted for "Something Out of Nothing". I love the way Dave deepens his voice to sing "to feel your touch" and then chuckles wickedly. Tongue in cheek? Probably, but it's still sexy.
sheryl wrote:And on a totally stupid girly note, it has the cutest video ever :wink: :roll:

The "Easy Street" video is adorable. It makes me smile every time I see it. :D
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

This album works very well for me as a whole _album_ so it is difficult to single out one song. It's my favorite cd of theirs, and one I remember recommending to a friend in high school as some music therapy to cheer her up. It worked.

Anyway, I chose We 3. It's a good story song, and one of the few old songs that's survived into live performances in recent years.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re:

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Homesick wrote:To be honest, I think Veil of Tears sounds more "anonymous" than anything else on the album. It's got somewhat of a nice feel to it, but I've never felt that it really sticks with you like some of the other songs.
Veil of Tears is the kind of song that I consider a "slow reveal." It might not strike you the first few times you hear it, but it creeps up on you over time and reveals just how phenomenal it is. (Obviously, that's not your experience, since I'm sure you've listened to it many times, despite it not being your favorite.) For me, it's the exact opposite of a song like Gullible's Travels (and I realize this is going to be an unpopular opinion), which is a song that is immediately appealing, but which I don't think holds up well. It's cute, but it lacks a certain complexity and substance. (No disrespect intended to Danny's fine song writing.)

Meanwhile, Veil of Tears is unusual in that I feel it gets its power at least partly from how perfectly the lyrics and the music are wedded together. Neither the lyrics nor the music are particularly outstanding on their own. Lyrically, it's a pretty typical Dave outing, with interesting turns of phrases, but nothing truly remarkable. Yet the lyrics, music, and phrasing come together so perfectly, that the whole is far more than the sum of its parts. I think it's a great song.

That being said, there are so many great songs on this album, that I'd still probably put it around number 3 or 4. :)
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

This was the first pre-Columbia album I scored at a used record store. And since it had been a few years since Candy, I was so starved that I played it constantly. Now, it's one of my least favorites- the only songs on it that I really like are Nice Guys and King's Friends. This album was so poorly produced, it's difficult to get past.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

I love this album too and I dont have a problem with the way it sounds. Its harder for me to get into While You Were Out and Made To Be Broken, I think Horse sounds much better than those two. Veil Of Tears and Spinnin are my two favorite tracks though when Im feeling it I can listen to the whole record and enjoy every second of it.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

All songs are great. But my favorite song on this album is "We 3". :D
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

FnSquirrel
Marionette

Post by FnSquirrel »

Grounded, fur sure.

When 8's turned sideways,
you head on down the highways,
saying this is my way,
disappearing forever?

This song is so elegant and beautiful, and so far out there, where it really is by the way, that it well...grounds me.

mikeage
Marionette

Post by mikeage »

can't pick one.
in my top 5 albums of all times.
i can say live my fav. would be all the king's friends.
that song is amazing live.