Tiny parts of songs that make all the difference

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Tiny parts of songs that make all the difference

Post by sheryl »

lune ellise wrote:
philipgar wrote:hope to meet you at a show some day.

Phil
Oh I would LOVE to go to an SA show and meet fellow fans. Sadly, I think that isn't possible since I am in the Philippines. :(
everything is possible :)

there are people here who have travelled from other countries and had wonderful experiences at shows!

you never know what could happen.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I love the "ah! ah! ah!" at the start of the chorus in No Man's Land. And you gotta love the way Dave makes an art form of his voice cracking. There's so many, really. That's what makes Soul Asylum the best band in the world.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

TheJudge wrote:And you gotta love the way Dave makes an art form of his voice cracking.
I do. :wink:

Many of my favorite moments in SA songs are when Dave's voice cracks on a particular line. Somehow he always does it in a way that enhances (rather than detracts from) the meaning of a lyric or the song as a whole. Genius!
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

The flirty, come-hither sax on "Masquerade".
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Oooooh, I remembered one: That little laugh that Dave gives in the Say What You Will recording of Stranger, right before the line, "I'm just another face in a faceless crowd."
Yes!
(Just got SWYW last Wednesday. It was on back order forever.)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

RadioGuy
Marionette

Post by RadioGuy »

great topic.

The feedback in "All the Kings Friends" near the end of the song during the line "There was a time and there was a place" -

The tamborine in marionette during the line " so why do you think she's so scared of ya...what do you think makes her that way?"

I like how the tamborine comes in right before the vocals on "See You Later" - the back up vocals on that song are really nice.

The way Dave sings " it was big with riiiiich kids" on Nice Guys.

Subliminal laughter in Something Out of Nothin'

99% is simply too much to bare w/ headphones lol

The thing I really dig about SA is that even now, I can hear something new each time I hear a song.

I really wish they would release a DVD with behind the scenes footage in the studio recording..

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

It's time for an update, now that I have TSL :D

Lately: the prolonged "r" in "crazy" in the line "She'd been acting kind of crazy lately"

Oxygen: the line "Just a couple more breaths of oxygen will do" was sung like Dave was the one out of breath (I know this is over-analyzing :oops: )

Oxygen: this is cheating, and not really that "tiny" of a detail, but - Dan's "SHOCK" and "why" in the line "And a couple more why do you do those things you do"

Fearless Leader: Dave's voice cracking in "choose" and "loose" in the lines "Sometimes you gotta pick and choose, Sometimes, no matter what, you lose"

All Is Well: the bass in 0:23
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

[quote="lune ellise"]Lately: the prolonged "r" in "crazy" in the line "She'd been acting kind of crazy lately"[quote="lune ellise"]

Ooh, I love that part too! Okay, what else?

-I love the chord that "Somebody to Shove" ends on.
-This isn't tiny but in "See You Later" I love the yes sir, no sir, let me go sir (ma'am) I don't even...today parts.
-I love the sort of tongue twister parts of "Sometime to Return" and "Can't Even Tell":
What you are is what you see and you see me and we can be something we can call we and I know you know I wanna know how I feel
-In "All is Well" I love the way Dave accents the words "someday" and "one way." maybe someday, there won't be just one way

And in general I like how he uses the word "ain't" quite frequently.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

AlyssaJones wrote:And in general I like how he uses the word "ain't" quite frequently.
I especially liked his use of ain't in Close.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Now I have a few more to add since I've finally gotten And The Horse... and Let Your Dim Light Shine:

-In "Hopes Up" I love the way he sings that second "I'll never breathe." if you never let me breathe, I'll never breathe, I'LL NEVER BREATHE
-In "Bittersweetheart" I love the way he sings the word "dog" at the beginning, and also the part where the music blanks out and it's just him singing It's a little bit of heaven and a whole lotta hell. I just love the dry, whiny quality of his voice.
-In "String of Pearls" the way he sings the word "kids." ...and he goes home to his kids...
-In "All the King's Friends" the BUT THEY'RE NOT
-also in "All the King's Friends" I love the way he says the word "transcend"

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

How about the way Dave pronounces the 'f' in the word defend in "Lately?" I've never seen them live, so I wouldn't know how he pronounces it in concert, but on the cd it sounds weird(I can't think of a better word to describe it). He does that in some other places that I can't remember, too. The other thing that stands out to me is the way he pronounces the line "'Cause I couldn't watch her little one, I had so much to do, I was so high-strung" in "Lately." That's all I can think of that hasn't already been said.