Misheard lyrics

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Re: Misheard lyrics

Post by Homesick »

It's been quite a while since I discovered any more misheard lyrics of my own, but I have "reverse-engineered" a few that could conceivably have been misheard by somebody.

Made To Be Broken
Real: I'm trying to make myself uneasy
Misheard: I'm trying to sell myself on eBay

Candy From A Stranger
Real: Candy from a stranger
Misheard: Candy from Australia

Tea
Real: So you better get up on the wire
Better balance out that act
Misheard: Better balance out that ass

Too silly? ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Twiddly Dee
real: Yes I guess I'm I'm lucky
misheard: I'm an ass-kissing monkey
(the first time I thought I heard that I knew that couldn't have been what Dave was actually saying, so I looked up the lyrics as soon as I could)

Nice Guys Don't Get Paid
real: soon the city would be crawling with addicts
misheard: soon the city would be crawling with that itch

And the line in Can't Even Tell that's hard to understand, I always thought it was "bored to death" not "bored to tears"

Yeah, I'm sure I have alot more, but those are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Going off on a Replacements tangent, in Alex Chilton, when Paul says "Venus" does it sound to anyone else like he's saying...um, something else that ryhmes with Venus? Sorry, I don't mean to pull this thread into the gutter, but I was just wondering if anyone else heard it too.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

AlyssaJones wrote:soon the city would be crawling with that itch
That's exactly what I used to hear too! (Actually, I still hear it from time to time.)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

AlyssaJones
Alex Chilton, when Paul says "Venus" does it sound to anyone else like he's saying...um, something else that ryhmes with Venus
Love Replacements talk... Yeehaw!!

I never heard it the way; but..Well it's Paul so anything is possible.

His says Venus twice in the song; substitute your word for venus in the lyrics below. Your word doesn't really fit :shock: ; but then again it's Paul.

The opening line...If he was from Venus would he feed us with a spoon?

The again at the end of the song...If he was from Venus would he meet us on the moon?

I am now singin Alex Chilton...Thank you!!

_______
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yeah, I know it doesn't fit, but it whenever I listen to it it sounds so much like... I mean I know he's saying Venus 'cuz that's the only word that makes sense. *cues up Alex Chilton and listens to it* I'm sure he actaully did say Venus and it just sounds like something else to me.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Oh, I remembered another.

In Sometime to Return for awhile I thought the lines "I have seen these closing doors, I've woke up on this floor before" actually went: "I have seen these do-si-do's, I've walked up on this road before." It was over the summer when I first got Hang Time and I was trying to learn all the words to as many SA songs as I could (right now I'm up to about 50). But anyway, I got the lyrics for StR from some random song lyric website and that's what it said they were. That's what it said they were on like five other sites too, so I assumed they were correct. Then I found this website. :D

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:Oh, I remembered another.

In Sometime to Return for awhile I thought the lines "I have seen these closing doors, I've woke up on this floor before" actually went: "I have seen these do-si-do's, I've walked up on this road before." It was over the summer when I first got Hang Time and I was trying to learn all the words to as many SA songs as I could (right now I'm up to about 50). But anyway, I got the lyrics for StR from some random song lyric website and that's what it said they were. That's what it said they were on like five other sites too, so I assumed they were correct. Then I found this website. :D
Wait. .. I always thought it was do-si-dos as well. Same with the next line. I've heard this song thousands of times I think, and always heard it that way. However just now I'm putting it on and sure enough closing doors and floors before sounds right. In fact I listened to a few different copies, and now hear closing doors and floor before. Those lines do make more sense too.

As for alex chilton, I always heard venus... Now, I still love the debate over the song title in 49:00, tell me who you gonna marry vs terry who you gonna marry.

Phil

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

There is a website that has Soul Asylum lyrics besides this one? Sheesh…I need to get with the program.

I never had any problems understanding the lyrics on Sometime to return. I listened to the “album” over and over; just lift the needle place it down and listen again and again and again. (The “album” comment is me poking fun at my old self.) :lol:

I listened to “Horses” way into work this morning; WE3 came on. So; just for fun, I checked the lyrics on this board and realize that I have been singing it wrong for 18 years or so.

The correct lyrics.
And it’s hard to repay
the tolerance that you've borrowed

My lyrics.
And it’s hard to repay
The “tiny rents” that you borrow.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

AlyssaJones wrote:But anyway, I got the lyrics for StR from some random song lyric website and that's what it said they were. That's what it said they were on like five other sites too, so I assumed they were correct. Then I found this website. :D
That's the problem with lyric websites: they're all based on the haphazard work of some guy or another which is then put online and collected automatically by web crawlers. Conversely, our discography is 100% pure handcrafted goodness. It may not be entirely correct all the time (achieving that may well be impossible), but it's a lot better than anything else that's out there.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I just remembered my first misheard Soul Asylum lyric; it was on the Weird Al parody clip:

Runaway Train
Misheard: Wanna take ya 'board a runaway train
Real: Bought a ticket for a runaway train

I also just realized that was actually the first line of Soul Asylum's that I had ever heard; and to think I actually had it wrong. :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com