The Essential Soul Asylum

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: The Essential Soul Asylum

Post by Closer »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:I hope the international fans aren't gettting the wrong idea about Americans.

I didn't mean anything like that with my post. If anything I envy you guys for having the opportunity to see them. I think the last time they played in Holland (where I live) was in 1995 and I really wanted to go, but I was twelve and maybe if I lived closer to the city they were playing at, it would have been possible but unfortunately it wasn't. I doubt they will ever play here again, or even in Europe, but then again... anything can happen...

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I've never been that big into making single-band compilations. I tend to listen to live shows more than album stuff anyway. Though sometimes I'll make a comp of studio cuts based on a concert setlist, if there just aren't good bootlegs floating around.

That said, I have some SA compilations, but none are career-spanning. I have an 80s mix, which gets played a lot even though I almost never play those 80s albums in their entirety, and a couple 90s-era mixes, including one based on their 1999 sets. My favorite mix is the still the outtakes compilation though.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

philipgar wrote:Since then, I've had a handful of roadtrips to see shows, although the one that sticks out most was in '02 (I think). I was living in eastern PA at the time, and SA ways playing 2 shows in Illinois on the friday and saturday before easter). I had off from school for a few days due to Easter, and me and John (some of you may remember him from the old boards) decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to take a road trip out to see them (before I mentioned the idea he had been considering the idea of taking a bus out to the shows).

What a crazy trip that was! I think it was a little over a thousand miles each way for 2 shows. The funny part is that at the time gas was cheap, we found cheap hotels, and I think one of the primary expenses we had was beer. So much beer was consumed the night of the shows. I remember waking up at 10:30am on Easter sunday with a pounding headache, rushing to check out of the hotel and drive for 14 or 15 hours. What a day that was.

Anyhow, I started rambling there. Most of the time I've just lucked out and caught one off shows here and there, very few of the crazy road trips (despite how much fun they are, gas really is expensive now). I think part of it is also my own doing. I know when I was looking for places to go to grad school, the midwest was highly favorible to me due to proximity to SA shows (not to mention other concerts I've seen in the area). I'm definitely not complaining about it! My best advice for road trips is to find one or two other fans (probably from the board who live within a couple hundred miles) and team up. It really makes for a good time when you can do it (of course, it's much harder to do as you get older and have responsibilities).

Phil
Thanks for sharing that story. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. :)

The advice on road trips is good, except for one thing. One of the reasons I sought out this site was because my friends and acquaintances don't remember/like/want to hear one more word from me about Soul Asylum. :(

The upside is I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments (often with envy) and stories. Only wish I had a few good ones of my own. Someday (with a lot of luck) . . .
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Thanks for sharing that story. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. :)

The advice on road trips is good, except for one thing. One of the reasons I sought out this site was because my friends and acquaintances don't remember/like/want to hear one more word from me about Soul Asylum. :(

The upside is I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments (often with envy) and stories. Only wish I had a few good ones of my own. Someday (with a lot of luck) . . .
Oh, I don't really have any friends who live in the same town as me who know of the band. I know theres one other fan in the madison area who i've met at enough shows in town, and in the midwest. Aside from that, most of the people I know are from the fan club. I will say after hanging out in the SA fan club for over 10 years, I've met some of my best friends. I love this place, and all the people I've met from the fan club. The road trip story involved my friend john from the old board, and I think at the time he lived about 100 miles away. It's just after talking to people for years, and seeing them at enough shows you feel comfortable enough to go on long road trips (and i will say it's great going on a roadtrip with someone who shares your music tastes).

Phil