Eyes of A Child

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Re: Eyes of A Child

Post by I Love Dim Light »

My first thought about the song was : Does this mean " poor people oughtn't multiply" ? Then, i guess, i saw Dogma, or maybe something else reminded me the '90s. This is how i've got that idea about abortions.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Slut, bitch, and whore? Wow! The most offensive anti-woman slur is the only one you've managed to leave out so far.

Addict? Maybe. Or maybe Dave (as a songwriter) just likes symmetry -- and hyperbole. The fictional woman has 13 children, each of whom has 13 problems, and she's taking 13 pills (3 upper plus 10 downers) to cope with it all.

A slut is usually just a woman who has had more sex partners than the speaker. And "slut" is an all-purpose slur used to shame a woman back into her place. Maybe we can dispense with the term.

Maybe this fictional woman is just a nurturing earth mother who loves men, sex, having babies, and raising children. According to the song, she loves her children and is attempting to care for them despite the difficulties involved. How does this merit all the insults?

There's more than one way to read WAY too much into a few lines of song lyrics. :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, all that misogyny is making me queasy.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

I think it's kind of funny that Dave decided to use the number 13 again for the meds/drugs.

As someone with mental issues and children with mental issues, 3 uppers and 10 downers is not out of the question for the entire family to take.

If it's just the mom on the meds, this is my theory. Downers could be tranquilizers, anxiety meds or sleeping meds, so there could be significantly more of those. 3 uppers could be caffeine pills or speed ... probably something to help her make it through the long days.

I'm with CrazyLittleWoman on the earth mother bit. Dave seems to relate to hippies so it makes sense to me. And if someone has 13 kids, it's hard enough to keep their names straight, much less their dads. I have 3 from 2 fathers and it's difficult! But the mom does love them all, just like me. :)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

no1rockfan wrote: and if someone has 13 kids, it's hard enough to keep their names straight, much less their dads.
While she may have trouble with her kids names, I think its safe to say Octomom wouldn't have much trouble figuring out the fathers of her [14] kids. :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
no1rockfan wrote: and if someone has 13 kids, it's hard enough to keep their names straight, much less their dads.
While she may have trouble with her kids names, I think its safe to say Octomom wouldn't have much trouble figuring out the fathers of her [14] kids. :P
Ha! I actually thought of Nadya when I wrote that. :lol:

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

:lol:
Monolith Maniac wrote:While she may have trouble with her kids names, I think its safe to say Octomom wouldn't have much trouble figuring out the fathers of her [14] kids. :P
:lol:
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

no1rockfan wrote:I think it's kind of funny that Dave decided to use the number 13 again for the meds/drugs.
I found another one: the young girl at the end of the song is 13 years old. Symmetry. :D