Lincoln Park Zoo - info needed

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
norma023
O'Jeezer

Lincoln Park Zoo - info needed

Post by norma023 »

I was wondering if anyone has info about concerts at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago?

Info like, typical admission costs/door times, indoors/outdoors, kid friendly (seeing it is a zoo), you know - that type of stuff.

I may be traveling through that area at the end of August and there's a certain concert book on the 22nd I'm looking at.

Thanks!
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Lincoln Park Zoo - info needed

Post by Monolith Maniac »

It looks like you'll need tickets to the show, which go on sale June 1st:

http://www.lpzoo.org/events/jammin2008.html
The previous page says it will be from 5pm-10pm.

Admission to the zoo is free, but of course parking is where they get you. I don't think there is much (if any) places nearby (or within walking distance to avoid paying some type of fee).

General Hours:
Grounds 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Buildings and Farm 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

Parking Rates:
0-30 minutes: No charge
0-3 Hours: $14
3-4 Hours: $16
4-5 Hours: $20
5+ Hours: $24

There may be some other parking garages close by, but I don't think the prices are much different.

Most of the zoo is outdoors, but there are some buildings you can go in, like seeing some of the monkeys close up. There is also a conservatory on the north end of the park as well, which is free. I'm not sure exactly where the concerts are held in the park (or they just may be right outside on the park's grounds). I haven't been to the Lincoln Park Zoo for a long time, but from what I remember it is kid friendly. :D

I tried calling for some info, but it just kept going back to the beginning of the automated loop when I pressed for more info on upcoming events.

http://www.lpzoo.org/info/plan_your_visit/location.php

Hope that helps a bit.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

great, helps a lot!!

Do the concerts there typically have an age requirement to get in (ie 18+)? I'll be traveling with my son through there at that time, heading to the Upper Peninsula
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

I'm not certain, but I would be highly surprised if there was an mininum age requirement, especially since it's outdoors in the public zoo. I just can't picture the zoo holding a show for people only 18+.

Looking at the picture on the site I posted above; if thats any indication of what this concert is supposed to be like, it looks like kids are allowed. If they aren't, I'd say the picture's a little misleading/false advertising.

I'll try calling a few other numbers, and maybe WXRT, the radio station that's sponsoring it for ya and see if I can get some definite info.

----------

Update: I found this site; it lists info for the 3 shows that they're putting on at the park this year. Looks like kids are allowed.:D
http://www.chicagoevents.com/event.cfm?eid=127

Individual Tickets
Online**:
Adult Lincoln Park Zoo member: $18
Adult: $20
Child 4-12*, Lincoln Park Zoo member: $8
Child 4-12*: $10
* Children 3 years old and younger are admitted free.
** $3.00 handling fee is added to the cost of tickets ordered online.

Day Of Tickets:
Please note: Tickets may sell out prior to the event, so reserve your tickets today!
Adult Lincoln Park Zoo member: $23
Adult: $25
Child 4-12*, Lincoln Park Zoo member: $10
Child 4-12*: $12

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I don't know that this is helpful, since I've never been outside of the airport in Chicago, but you might want to check into taking a bus or taxi to avoid the parking fees. Sometimes, the commuter train or trolley system is a deal. At least it is in Miami...and several cities in South Florida have free, or nearly free "trolleys" in the downtown areas. I used to go to the Miami Metrozoo for concerts...and I was able to take my two young sons in as well. (The oldest will be 21 in 10 days, so this was a while back) I don't know that he remembers seeing Joe Walsh and Three Dog Night, but he was there!

Peace,
Carol

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

g8trcarol wrote:I don't know that this is helpful, since I've never been outside of the airport in Chicago, but you might want to check into taking a bus or taxi to avoid the parking fees. Sometimes, the commuter train or trolley system is a deal. At least it is in Miami...and several cities in South Florida have free, or nearly free "trolleys" in the downtown areas.
You can definitely forget a taxi, even with the cost of gas you might be better off driving. They just added an additional gas tax to the cab fares last week. From O'Hare to the Lincoln Park Zoo (which is pretty close to The Loop) will cost you around $45-$50 each way.

I was under the impression that you (Todd) were driving, not flying. If you are coming straight from O'Hare (or a hotel near the airport) you could hop on the CTA blue line train which starts at O'Hare and get off at one of the Downtown stops, such as Monroe. There you can transfer to the #22 bus which will take you right to the zoo. This is most likely what I am going to do. It would cost you $9 round trip for both you and your son.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Monolith Maniac wrote:If you are coming straight from O'Hare (or a hotel near the airport) you could hop on the CTA blue line train which starts at O'Hare and get off at one of the Downtown stops, such as Monroe. There you can transfer to the #22 bus which will take you right to the zoo. This is most likely what I am going to do. It would cost you $9 round trip for both you and your son.
This is really helpful information. I don't know if I'll be able to take that day off from work, but I'd like to try to make this show. I always take the CTA from the airport but don't have any experiences with the buses. Thanks Jim!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

thanks for all the additional info, glad it's helping others out as well!! I'd be driving, but if we swing through Chi-town (either to/from the Michigan's Upper Pennisula) isn't known just yet.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

This is based on when I went there 5 yrs ago, so check up on it. There is free or cheaper parking near the history museum and near the beach, which are just short walks away. Google Map it and you'll figure it out. That area of town is very nice and you should be able to walk it without any hassles. Also, the visitors information department is really informative, so if you want, call them and they can help you out.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Yeah Jammin at the Zoo. I have been hoping for some chicago dates. I saw Los Lobos and I think the Jayhawks, there a couple of years ago. Admission was reasonable. Events are kid friendly (although as it gets later, darker, and more crowded, very small ones may be hard to keep track of). Very nice outdoor venue Seems to me that we parked for free in the beach parking area, although there may have been a minor charge. Hope you make it. I am planning on it!