What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

P-9
21%
Artificial Heart
14%
Sometime To Return
7%
Cartoon
4%
Easy Street
No votes
Can't Even Tell
7%
Somebody To Shove
7%
Black Gold
7%
Runaway Train
11%
Without A Trace
4%
Summer of Drugs
No votes
Misery
7%
Promises Broken
No votes
Just Like Anyone
7%
I Will Still Be Laughing
4%

Total votes: 28

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

Post by sayeeda »

I too went with Artificial Heart. Creeped me out when I saw it the first time but thought it was just too kooky for words. It's put together really well with the setting, details, and Karl's portrayal is dead-on.

Speaking of "He's wearing skates! In July!" I'm like the guy at the very end of the video. What's the point of the joke or is there one? I still don't get it. :? Anyone here care to explain? ;)

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sayeeda wrote:Speaking of "He's wearing skates! In July!" I'm like the guy at the very end of the video. What's the point of the joke or is there one? I still don't get it. :? Anyone here care to explain? ;)
Suffice to say that it is second only to the funniest joke in the world.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sayeeda wrote:Speaking of "He's wearing skates! In July!" I'm like the guy at the very end of the video. What's the point of the joke or is there one? I still don't get it. :? Anyone here care to explain? ;)
I still don't really get it, either. Being from the lower Midwest, when I hear "skates," I think roller skates. It was a bit funnier when I realized the guy in the joke is wearing ice skates in July.

As for my vote, I'm still caught up in rewatching the videos. (Fun!) I'll vote later.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:I still don't really get it, either. Being from the lower Midwest, when I hear "skates," I think roller skates. It was a bit funnier when I realized the guy in the joke is wearing ice skates in July.
Agreed. I was thinking of roller skates too, but ice skates in July make sense....well not really, but you get the point. ;)

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sayeeda wrote:Agreed. I was thinking of roller skates too, but ice skates in July make sense....well not really, but you get the point. ;)
Actually, I instinctively thought about roller skates as well... I guess ice skates really do make a whole lot more sense.

Speaking of which, isn't wearing skates in July pretty much what they're doing in the video for Can't Even Tell?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Homesick wrote:Speaking of which, isn't wearing skates in July pretty much what they're doing in the video for Can't Even Tell?
:lol:

By the way, I read somewhere (I think on a different thread here) that there is no actual joke. SA just made up a punch line for the video because of the line "more ways to a punch line." (Goes a long way toward explaining why it doesn't really make much sense.)

Homesick: Thanks for the link to the Python clip! Great stuff.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Artificial Heart gets my vote because the video is just like the song: weird, creepy, and yet funny in a macabre way. Karl's performance is exactly the right blend of scary, creepy, and funny. Perfect!

P-9 is a great video, too, but Artificial Heart is just perfect.

Without a Trace is a strong contender for favorite video, as is Somebody to Shove. I have the same complaint with both videos, though: more shots of the band, less "story."

Can't forget the Easy Street video. It's just adorable and the guys are such boys (in the best possible sense of the word) in this video.

Is it just me, or do the video and the chorus really sell Just Like Anyone? Without the visual distraction of the video, it seems like a weird song to choose as a single. When I listen to the song cold, the lyrics of the verses particularly always strike me as odd for a rock song and, as Sheryl has pointed out elsewhere, verging on (without ever quite crossing over into) gross. The video is good, though.
Last edited by CrazyLittleWoman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
Is is just me, or do the video and the chorus really sell Just Like Anyone? Without the visual distraction of the video, it seems like a weird song to choose as a single. When I listen to the song cold, the lyrics of the verses particularly always strike me as odd for a rock song and, as Sheryl has pointed out elsewhere, verging on (without ever quite crossing over into) gross. The video is good, though.
I liked the video for Just Like Anyone. Of course, it helped that I was a big My So Called Life fan, so I thought it was cool to see Claire Danes outside of the tv show. Regardless, I liked seeing the weird awkward girl triumph, as I was 17 and felt like a weird awkward girl myself. My friend and I would watch the video sometimes after school to cheer ourselves up. I really like when Claire's angel wings pop out and poke the snobby girl in the eye! As for the chorus, yes, the weird awkward girls wonder what it's like to be just like anyone. At least I did, and sometimes I still do.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I had a hard hard time with this one. Sometime to Return and Easy Street both have moments that just make me happy. And of course the location of Sometime to Return gives it joy points too. But....I went with Somebody to Shove. When it was new I loved how aggressive it was....and for some reason the acupuncture thing sucked me in....if you could call going..."um..why?" sucked in. I dont know. I loved that video. I went and watched them all again just now and yeah...I still love that video. It's Dave being as Dave as he's ever been, and how often do you see Danny BASHING on his guitar like that? Pure rock and roll aggression. Loved it. Love it still.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:As for the chorus, yes, the weird awkward girls wonder what it's like to be just like anyone. At least I did, and sometimes I still do.
Trust me, I know. I went from weird, awkward girl to weird, awkward woman, but I finally stopped wondering.