What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

P-9
21%
Artificial Heart
14%
Sometime To Return
7%
Cartoon
4%
Easy Street
No votes
Can't Even Tell
7%
Somebody To Shove
7%
Black Gold
7%
Runaway Train
11%
Without A Trace
4%
Summer of Drugs
No votes
Misery
7%
Promises Broken
No votes
Just Like Anyone
7%
I Will Still Be Laughing
4%

Total votes: 28

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:But....I went with Somebody to Shove. When it was new I loved how aggressive it was....and for some reason the acupuncture thing sucked me in....if you could call going..."um..why?" sucked in. I dont know. I loved that video. I went and watched them all again just now and yeah...I still love that video. It's Dave being as Dave as he's ever been, and how often do you see Danny BASHING on his guitar like that? Pure rock and roll aggression. Loved it. Love it still.
Me, too.

Somebody to Shove was actually the first Soul Asylum video I ever saw. It was years after the fact because I was rarely home and rarely saw videos during the 80's and 90's.

(Fair warning, folks: I'm about to get all girly.:roll: ) In 1995, I fell in love with the lyrics-writing part of Dave Pirner's brain. When I told my friends this, one of them produced a gossip magazine, pointed to a rather unflattering photo of Dave at some red carpet event and said, "That's Dave Pirner." It was not impressive. "Oh, well, I love him for his mind," I said. "My love is pure."

Then nearly a year ago, I started looking for videos online. Then I saw the Somebody to Shove video. My love immediately and forever ceased to be pure. ;)

Then I watched the Without a Trace video. I realized my mouth had gone dry because my jaw was still hanging open, but the source of Dave's appeal was now clear. To see Dave in motion is a revelation -- and the live shows just amp up the effect! :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Then I watched the Without a Trace video. I realized my mouth had gone dry because my jaw was still hanging open, but the source of Dave's appeal was now clear. To see Dave in motion is a revelation -- and the live shows just amp up the effect! :)
Speaking of that: is the guy in the mirror at the beginning of the video ("I fell in love with a hooker") really Dave? Did he cut his hair for that one video? In every single live recording I've seen of him he's got those dreadlocks all over his face, and that's been part of his image for... well, forever, so I'm still stumped about it. After all, it takes quite a while to grow that kind of stuff out again, and yet I've never seen him with his hair that short anywhere else. Could someone clarify?

(Now I'm just as clueless as the guy at the end of the Laughing video! ;))
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Homesick wrote:Speaking of that: is the guy in the mirror at the beginning of the video ("I fell in love with a hooker") really Dave?
Yes, thats Dave in the mirror. He also plays the politician speaking at the podium in the video, which I think definitely doesn't look like him.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

FnSquirrel
Marionette

Post by FnSquirrel »

Cart :shock: :shock: n

Love the bouncing ball - lickin stick - and the mighty man who appears, not super crazy about the colored dots though.

2nd) Runaway train is so stoned...it rules!

3rd) I will still be laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEKJTYRp26E
Last edited by FnSquirrel on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Homesick wrote:Did he cut his hair for that one video? In every single live recording I've seen of him he's got those dreadlocks all over his face, and that's been part of his image for... well, forever, so I'm still stumped about it. After all, it takes quite a while to grow that kind of stuff out again, and yet I've never seen him with his hair that short anywhere else. Could someone clarify?
Wig? Or visual effects?

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

nikki
Stranger

Post by nikki »

I picked Black Gold, just because it was my teenage fave whent he videos were still in regular rotatioon on MTV (...well when muisic videos were still on regular rotation on MTV). Oddly I never saw Without a Trace before finding it on Youtube a while back. I really liked the Somebody to Shove video too and it made 13 year old me REALLY want to go to a SA show :)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I watched Without a Trace on Youtube the other night.

Seeing clean-cut short-haired politician Dave was just...weird. Very un-Dave, bizarro Dave. It was an interesting video, one I hadn't seen in years. I liked that mirror effect.

My guess is that was a wig. I thought the politician hairstyle had alot of volume, which would seem to make sense if they had to cram all the dreadlocks into a wig.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:As for the chorus, yes, the weird awkward girls wonder what it's like to be just like anyone. At least I did, and sometimes I still do.
Trust me, I know. I went from weird, awkward girl to weird, awkward woman, but I finally stopped wondering.
Count me in this group! I still feel awkward when I stumble everywhere, run into things, knock things over and all this when I'm NOT drunk. Some people blame it on drinking if I am, but I do it all the time! Also, I get overzealous at times and annoy people, then I sometimes feel bad for a while. I'm just a clumsy and expressive person I guess! But, that's just me. So I have to live with it. I hope it makes me unique and not just awkward.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

no1rockfan wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:As for the chorus, yes, the weird awkward girls wonder what it's like to be just like anyone. At least I did, and sometimes I still do.
Trust me, I know. I went from weird, awkward girl to weird, awkward woman, but I finally stopped wondering.
Count me in this group! I still feel awkward when I stumble everywhere, run into things, knock things over and all this when I'm NOT drunk. Some people blame it on drinking if I am, but I do it all the time! Also, I get overzealous at times and annoy people, then I sometimes feel bad for a while. I'm just a clumsy and expressive person I guess! But, that's just me. So I have to live with it. I hope it makes me unique and not just awkward.
I think it makes you unique and not just awkward.

I'm not necessarily physically clumsy, just socially awkward. I'm defintely overzealous (I like to call it "passionate") and sometimes a bit too vehement in my opinions (working on it) and annoy people. I never know when to shut up, either, then I feel bad afterward.

I like the term "expressive." I think I'll adopt it. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Hi.

http://www.sonybmg.com/musicbox/video/s ... index.html

Most of you probably know this link but I was reading through this thread just now and several people mentioned watching some videos on youtube and because the quality on youtube is often not too great, I thought that maybe some didn't know that many videos of the band in better quality are on the site I just gave a link to.

Bye.