His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: His Holeyness

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

zany wrote:i think you're wise, and i didn't even read that music analysis post you mentioned.

except for that kevin bacon comparison. but it's forgiveable!
Thanks!

I didn't make the Kevin Bacon comparison, though. It's never occurred to me. And the Sara Gilbert comparison totally cracks me up. It never occurred to me until several women on here mentioned it. Unfortunately, I could immediately see what they meant. Talk about a buzz kill!
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i'm good at ignoring things i don't want to think about!!
luckily

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

As far as the Kevin Bacon comparison goes, when I saw him at the concert I went to, I thought to myself, "He looks kinda like Kevin Bacon." But then later that week when me and my friend were playing six degrees and I looked up Kevin Bacon's IMDb profile and saw his picture I was like, "ew, no, they do not look alike!"

Speaking of which...

Dave Pirner had a cameo appearance in Reality Bites which starred his girlfriend Winona Ryder who was in The Ten with Oliver Platt who was in Loverboy with Kevin Bacon.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:The weird thing is that immediately after I submitted my original post, I thought, "I shouldn't have done that. What if no one realizes I'm joking around? Everyone is going to think it's stupid and that I'm a complete idiot -- not to mention a silly, gushy fool." I'm so relieved that instead you all just jumped on and ran away with it. This thread really has taken on a life of its own.
I felt dumb when I started the Annoying New Girl thing. I still think it's a bit stupid, and it's totally off topic. I think it went from talking about how I'm not actually that annoying to how I despise the piano. I felt I shouldn't have submitted it, either. Thanks, by the way, for being the first to respond to it.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ok- i was just noticing how "worn in" looking their clothes and shoes look in an old picture, and was remembered from this thread that interview where they're saying why they'd rather wear their old jeans etc...
ok so those old pictures are old - they can't possibly be the SAME pair of jeans now (i hope)- so at some point they have to get new ones - how do they get them to look so 'comfortable' unless they wear the new ones for awhile... hmmm it's a mystery!!!

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote:The weird thing is that immediately after I submitted my original post, I thought, "I shouldn't have done that. What if no one realizes I'm joking around? Everyone is going to think it's stupid and that I'm a complete idiot -- not to mention a silly, gushy fool." I'm so relieved that instead you all just jumped on and ran away with it. This thread really has taken on a life of its own.
I felt dumb when I started the Annoying New Girl thing. I still think it's a bit stupid, and it's totally off topic. I think it went from talking about how I'm not actually that annoying to how I despise the piano. I felt I shouldn't have submitted it, either. Thanks, by the way, for being the first to respond to it.
You're welcome. And it's not stupid, Nicole. Look how many people have responded to it. And you gave some of the younger fans a chance to share their experiences of feeling out of place sometimes. (We older fans had already done that in the discussion about the Just Like Anyone video.) You absolutely should have submitted it. And I'm about to go respond to something you wrote in it earlier.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yeah i like it cuz i can write off topic stuff in there cuz i'm another annoying new girl and it seems appropriate

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:yeah i like it cuz i can write off topic stuff in there cuz i'm another annoying new girl and it seems appropriate
Not exactly my intention, but it seems to work, so who cares?
This is the thread that got me to sign up, too. Not because I wanted to discuss Dave's jeans, which I obviously don't, but because it was a bit hilarious and you weren't afraid to say what you thought. I still felt a bit stupid signing up seeing as the only other person my age on this site stopped coming on, though I feel a little bit better now. I'm still bad in crowds,though, even ones that I can't even see.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote: I'm still bad in crowds,though, even ones that I can't even see.
do you mean like the chat last night?

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:
stuck_in_the_90s wrote: I'm still bad in crowds,though, even ones that I can't even see.
do you mean like the chat last night?
This has nothing to do with Dave's jeans or any aspect of Dave whatsoever, but yes, that chat. If you noticed, I didn't say much even though I do know some lyrics to Loser(ok, I only know soy un perdedor, I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me). I wanted to jump in and say that my taco buddy(we're going to be the Ben&Jerry's of tacos!) wants to be an Aerospace engineer when she's older and say some other stuff, but crowds are yet another thing that scare me, and though I have been posting on this site a lot(for me at least), it's not my usual behavior. Sorry for bringing this into a conversation about Dave!