His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: His Holeyness

Post by sheryl »

Would you believe that since I've moved here I don't even listen to them? The only SA music I've heard since I've been here is that solo show Dave did back in the spring.

I changed my ringtone, too. It was the perfect ringtone (waitin' by the phone....etc) but I couldn't keep it. I was afraid I'd run into him and it'd go off and I'd feel like a goon :oops:

Of course, as far as the music it's not just SA I'm not listening to. It's anything.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:Would you believe that since I've moved here I don't even listen to them? The only SA music I've heard since I've been here is that solo show Dave did back in the spring.

I changed my ringtone, too. It was the perfect ringtone (waitin' by the phone....etc) but I couldn't keep it. I was afraid I'd run into him and it'd go off and I'd feel like a goon :oops:

Of course, as far as the music it's not just SA I'm not listening to. It's anything.
Does your workplace pipe in crappy overhead music?

That's what killed music for me for several years. I wouldn't even listen to music on my car radio, only NPR, for a long time. (Obviously, I'm back to listening to music now.)

Ah, look, we've been shamed out of our girly gushing. :( I was afraid that might happen.

I'm going to go watch the Somebody to Shove video followed by some of the recent live video of Bittersweetheart and get back my girlish glee. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

That's almost as bad as me letting him sign my b**bs! :!:

CantGetEnough
Stranger

Post by CantGetEnough »

I remember getting my first SA album in junior high and my friends and I gushed over Dave. We then proceeded to memorize every word of every song on the album. Fast forward to 2006 and my first SA concert ever. When Dave walked on stage I was kinda disappointed because he didn't look how I had remembered him from all those years back. By the end of the concert I was totally gushing over Dave again with my friends. He is even more sexy now than I ever remembered him being. Why is it that some guys get better looking as they age? It's not fair!
Last edited by CantGetEnough on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

CantGetEnough wrote:I remember getting my first SA album in junior high and my friends and I gushed over Dave. We then proceeded to memorize every word of every song on the album. Fast forward to 2006 and my first SA concert ever. When Dave walked on stage I was kinda disappointed because he didn't look how I had remembered him from all those years back. By the end of the concert I was totally gushing over Dave again with my friends. He is even more sexy now than I ever remembered him being. What is it about guys getting better looking as they age? It's not fair!
It's also not true. Look around. For every guy who gets better-looking as he ages, there are ten who look more and more like Dennis Franz from NYPD Blue (aka the butt no one really wanted to see ;)) as they age. A talented actor, yes; a hot older guy, no.

As for my feelings about younger vs. current Dave, I've already made my feelings about that abundantly clear in an earlier post or two. :)
Dave4Prez wrote:That's almost as bad as me letting him sign my b**bs! :!:
How so?

Jeez, I'm just watching a video. No physical contact is involved and Dave Pirner is in no way burdened by the knowledge that I enjoy the way he moves his hips -- or even that I exist. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

What a terrible burden it would be...to know he's being appreciated ;)

I'm not sure but I think Bittersweetheart is even more effective in reestablishing girly gooniness than Somebody to Shove is.

And yes....my work pipes in horrifying music. It's a very effective turnoff. Combined with the absolutely dismal radio here in new orleans, nothing in the house to play music on and the demolition of my car which was also my stereo, I just don't listen to music. When I can't take it anymore I go hit the life...er..that would be live... music, which of course around here is absolutely sublime. Last weekend I spent almost the entire weekend at Satchmo, which is the Louis Armstrong festival. Two days of New Orleans best local bands doing their best Armstrong. Can't go wrong with that.

Saw somebody really interesting there, too.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Alright I must have really missed out because I have never seen the Spring break concert! I do have one image seared into my brain, I think it was back in 1998 or 99, Soul Asylum was played with Matchbox 20 at Sandstone here in Kansas City. I don't remember what song it was but during the song Dave doesn't do his hip wiggling, he does this whole body whirling around thing, and he was so in rhythm with the music that it seemed to me that the music was actually flowing from his body. I don't know if that makes any sense or if you can picture it, but that one moment has stayed so crystal clear in my head.
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Dave's ripped jeans. What a trademark it has become. I found some Soul Asylum interviews that I collected as a kid from Dutch magazines and in one interview from '95 they ask Karl about Dave's clothes and this thread made me think about it. It's a stupid question but I thought it was fun to share:

Interviewer: Time for my last question. The appearance of Dave Pirner. Either his pants are cut into pieces or his shirt is, but for all these years that I've been seeing him on stage he's been looking like a tramp. Can someone who sells millions of records and performs for thousands of people, not wear something decent onstage?

Karl: Why? Those clothes are more comfortable. With comfortable clothes everything is easier. We've been wearing the same clothes for four years. It's the same with your old shoes. Eventually they are falling apart and you really can't wear them anymore, but they just fit so good. By the way, you have a hole in your jeans too.

Interviewer: I know, but there wouldn't if I'd be making as much money as you guys are.

Karl: Why buy new jeans that still don't fit comfortably after a month when you still have your old ones? I don't give a shit how many fucking records I sell. If I prefer my old jeans over my new ones, then I'll just wear the old ones.
Last edited by Closer on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Hey thanks for sharing Closer...You know what Karl says is so true, I would pick my holey jeans over a newer pair any day! Yeah of course they could wear newer (newer to me isn't so much always nicer) clothes when they perform, but why, just because some people don't like the way they dress. Well you can't please everyone, so you might as well just please yourself and stay true to who you are. I respect them for that.
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Oh yeah, I definitely agree too. When I first read the interview in '95 I already thought about how stupid that question was, but at the same time amusing cause of Karl's feedback on the guy's jeans that also have a hole.