What is your favorite Soul Asylum cover art?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

And the Horse They Rode In On
13%
Candy From A Stranger
10%
Clam Dip & Other Delights
18%
Grave Dancers Union
18%
Hang Time
5%
Let Your Dim Light Shine
20%
Made To Be Broken
3%
Say What You Will, Clarence... Karl Sold the Truck
5%
The Silver Lining
5%
Time's Incinerator
No votes
While You Were Out
5%

Total votes: 40

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

It's been a while since our last poll, but hopefully that has only whet your appetite for another one. ;)

This time: favorite cover art! Please note that I have only included the cover art for the band's studio albums. If everything else were to contend as well, there would be an overwhelming number of options. If you feel that a compilation, single, or bootleg deserves an honorable mention, go ahead and post it—or request additional polls.

From several indications in other discussions, I have a feeling that a certain humorous contribution will take home the victory in this one. Regardless, my vote goes to The Silver Lining.

Granted, it may not be an original creation, but I think they added enough to it (the original artwork was in black-and-white, for example) that it gives a lot of spirit to the album. It's more symbolic than anything else they've done in cover art—almost to the point of being obvious, but in the end, I think it suits the album well.

For your reference, I've posted thumbnails of all the cover art below.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite Soul Asylum cover art?

Post by Closer »

I like most album covers but specifically GDU, LYDLS and CFAS for different reasons. I voted for GDU because it was my first SA album and I just always liked it. It raises questions and that's what good art does.

With CFAS I think the idea of using that trophy, with the dancing couple, in every picture they used for the cd boolet a smart concept. Even in the live picture you can see it on Karl's amp right behind him. It's something you don't even notice unless you pay attention to it.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

this is funny because I've always thought that just about every cover is rather horrid! Sure, they all have a certain charm but take for example "While you were out", can you actually imagine the guys in a room with various choices and saying with certainty: "The fat woman. It's gotta be the fat woman!" They must've been high while choosing some of these. My general reaction to SA album covers is: "WTF!?"
So in the end, I voted for "Say What you will..." the "band" on the front are pretty cool and the dump on the back I guess kinda represents the album! ;P
Runners up would be "Horse" and Time's Incinerator" Dave actually took that photo himself if memory serves.
Anyway, I've been thinking about nominating some of SA's covers for this site: http://www.zonicweb.net/badalbmcvrs/
Some of these are truly hysterical. You can also find the original "Clam Dip" here along with another parody of it.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'm going to have to go with Clam Dip's cover. I think being that it is a parody is half the reason why I like it; especially since its Karl in the Clam Dip. Even the text on the back side of the album spoofs the original.

Runners up would be Grave Dancers Union and The Silver Lining.
blueharvest wrote:...Time's Incinerator" Dave actually took that photo himself if memory serves.
Dave's also provided the album cover for Black Gold: The Best of Soul Asylum, Tied To The Tracks single, and has some photos in The Silver Lining booket. He's also made some of the concert shirts if I remember correctly (their first tshirt ever for the SWYW tour, ass inspector/butt light).

With all of the artwork that Dan's into, I'm surprised we haven't seen any pictures from him. Although I wonder if some of the covers (especially the Columbia era ones) are from his collection.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I voted for Silver Lining because I like pictures of beaches, oceans, and/or lighthouses. I also like the "hope in the middle of the storm" feeling I get from the picture.

I will offer an honorable mention for LYDLS: If you zoom in on the carving on the tree in the picture, you can see the name Sarah, and my name is Sarah. And yes, I did buy the vinyl version of this mainly so I could have a big enough picture of the cover art so I could see my name on it.

Why yes, I am a silly fangirl, why do you ask? :oops: :geek:

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:And yes, I did buy the vinyl version of this mainly so I could have a big enough picture of the cover art so I could see my name on it.

Why yes, I am a silly fangirl, why do you ask? :oops: :geek:
And you can be an even sillier fangirl and upping it one more size to a poster. :lol:
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

blueharvest wrote:this is funny because I've always thought that just about every cover is rather horrid! Sure, they all have a certain charm but take for example "While you were out", can you actually imagine the guys in a room with various choices and saying with certainty: "The fat woman. It's gotta be the fat woman!" They must've been high while choosing some of these. My general reaction to SA album covers is: "WTF!?"
lol! I know what you mean. The other day I had all the CD's laid out on my bed and I just thought to myself, "What the hell goes on in Dave Pirner's head at night?"

My favorite is And the Horse They Rode in On. Nice picture of the guys, plus I love animals, so I like it cuz there's a mule on it. The Silver Lining's is really good too, but some of the others I find a little creepy and messed up. But whatever, they could put just about anything on an album cover and I'd still love and respect them.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I voted for Candy From A Stranger because of that disturbing trophy (and its underlying meaning, if there is such). Also, the kid in trial is adorable! All in all, I guess that this is the only SA album that has a well-thought of cover art...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

AlyssaJones wrote:
blueharvest wrote:this is funny because I've always thought that just about every cover is rather horrid! Sure, they all have a certain charm but take for example "While you were out", can you actually imagine the guys in a room with various choices and saying with certainty: "The fat woman. It's gotta be the fat woman!" They must've been high while choosing some of these. My general reaction to SA album covers is: "WTF!?"
lol! I know what you mean. The other day I had all the CD's laid out on my bed and I just thought to myself, "What the hell goes on in Dave Pirner's head at night?"

My favorite is And the Horse They Rode in On. Nice picture of the guys, plus I love animals, so I like it cuz there's a mule on it. The Silver Lining's is really good too, but some of the others I find a little creepy and messed up. But whatever, they could put just about anything on an album cover and I'd still love and respect them.
Agreed! A lot of their album covers are creepy! Especially Hang Time, which is just disturbing.

As for "What the hell goes on in Dave Pirner's head at night?": that is a scary thought all on its own. We love him, but do we really want to know?

I voted for Clam Dip because it's hilarious, but And the Horse They Rode in On would probably get second place. I like the picture and it's funny.
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Why yes, I am a silly fangirl, why do you ask? :oops: :geek:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that (as we've established in another thread)!
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Let Your Dim Light Shine.

I've replaced more Dim Light posters than can possibly be healthy.