Demo VS Official Release

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: Demo VS Official Release

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

philipgar wrote:Of course, my favorite demo to date is black star. That may have been the best SA song ever...
Really? Maybe you can explain to me what I'm missing with Black Star. It's a nice enough song, but I don't think it's anywhere close to even being in the ball park with their best material.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I like part of the TSL version of Oxygen. I like it very much until the part in the middle near the end where Dave bellows "TRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAATMENT." That just grates on my nerves.
Me too! I like Oxygen SO MUCH but that tiny part of the song is a big turn-off!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Hi Miss Fitt!! It seems like you've been away awhile! I've been meaning to ask you, are you Judith who I met at the Orlando show last fall at the HOB? If so, you are the person who told me about this site also. Good to see you back!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:
philipgar wrote:Of course, my favorite demo to date is black star. That may have been the best SA song ever...
Really? Maybe you can explain to me what I'm missing with Black Star. It's a nice enough song, but I don't think it's anywhere close to even being in the ball park with their best material.
I love black star too....I used to put it on repeat in the car until everyone else in the car wanted to stab their ears out....or me to death whichever would work quickest. I think it's wonderful.
I couldn't really say what makes it so stand out for me though. It just kind of invokes something in me...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure what it is about the song, but it's just always been a favorite of mine. I remember first hearing it in 97 or so, and it immediately stuck out as the best of the pre CFAS material. It really has a haunting melody and just flows so well. Can't say much better about why I love it so much, I just do. The other song I'd rank up there would have to be Freak Accident, which also ranks as one of the best SA songs ever. I think there's a trend that the best songs get left off albums...

Phil

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Yeah it is kind of haunting sounding and that's cool, but it's also kind of like the Soul Asylum "holy grail." I know they played it a bunch of times in 1997, and teased it a few times since, maybe even one or two whole performances as well. But I've yet to hear it in concert and would bet that most people here haven't either. Lucky One is another song from that era that I also wish would be played more often. Soul Asylum have very few slow songs in their live rotation and I think they ought to break the pace a bit more often. Endless Farewell, Sucess Is Not So Sweet... come on guys, break 'em out!!

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Yeah it is kind of haunting sounding and that's cool, but it's also kind of like the Soul Asylum "holy grail."
So, is it a religious song or something to that effect? Whenever I listen to Black Star, I always thought of the Virgin Mary. I know it's a personal interpretation, so I want to know what the real meaning of the song is... Just out of curiosity...
Yaz McBoo wrote:Soul Asylum have very few slow songs in their live rotation and I think they ought to break the pace a bit more often. Endless Farewell, Sucess Is Not So Sweet... come on guys, break 'em out!!
Oh, I agree on this! Can we request for Promises Broken, or Close, or Blood Into Wine, or the songs mentioned above?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Lucky One is amazing!

I would love to see them do more of the slow, dramatic stuff they have. It's amazing music.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

lune ellise wrote:
Yaz McBoo wrote:Yeah it is kind of haunting sounding and that's cool, but it's also kind of like the Soul Asylum "holy grail."
So, is it a religious song or something to that effect? Whenever I listen to Black Star, I always thought of the Virgin Mary. I know it's a personal interpretation, so I want to know what the real meaning of the song is... Just out of curiosity..

Sorry, no religion here! Must have been lost in translation. What I meant was that this song is the rarity of all rarities. A really cool song that most of us have not heard in concert. That's all.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

That mythic sort of song that many have only heard tell of :)

I'd love to hear them do it live. I got a live show from someone, and it sounded for a minute like they were going to do it...they played the first little bit of it..and then changed it to Black Gold.

I think I cussed them out for a good solid half hour :)