What was the first Soul Asylum album you listened to?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What was the first Soul Asylum album you listened to?

And the Horse They Rode In On
10%
Candy From A Stranger
4%
Clam Dip & Other Delights
No votes
Grave Dancers Union
41%
Hang Time
8%
Let Your Dim Light Shine
18%
Made To Be Broken
8%
Say What You Will, Clarence... Karl Sold the Truck
4%
The Silver Lining
2%
Time's Incinerator
No votes
While You Were Out
No votes
Other (compilation, single, bootleg, etc.)
4%

Total votes: 49

itta_asylum
Marionette

Re: What was the first Soul Asylum album you listened to?

Post by itta_asylum »

Let your dim light shine! still remember, i was on 6th grade and then i thought i saw Dave on my school and found him really attractive! But then he dissapeard!!! I went home put on MTV and saw him on Misery! I went crazy!!!! and that minute i went to buy the album! and from that minute i was in love to Dave and Soul Asylum!!! LOL

chicago
Brand New Shine

Post by chicago »

The Silver Lining!

muse Vampire
Brand New Shine

Post by muse Vampire »

it was let your dim light shine.

it was orginally my brothers but when he left for college he gave me all his CDs.
this here is non-existing

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I learned of them during Horse They Rode in On - BUT I have since listed to and memorized every other song they have!

:D

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

chicago wrote:The Silver Lining!
Seriously - The Silver Lining is your first SA album? THAT'S AMAZING! Now this one here is a new fan!

Chicago, would you like to tell the forum your story on how you discovered Soul Asylum? I (and I guess others) would love to know how someone became a fan from something not from Let Your Dim Light Shine backwards.

Please do not bother to correct me if I'm gravely mistaken from my assumption. I do not mean to insult in any way (if there's any).
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Endless Farewell
Stranger

Post by Endless Farewell »

It was Grave Dancers Union for me. After that, I bought all their older stuff and have bought each new release they've put out since then.

LyndaleExile
Marionette

Post by LyndaleExile »

I'm one of those "Runaway Train" people. I was young... preteen/teen... I can't even remember. Got GDU, then I started collecting all the rest. I remember getting ticked off at Beast Buy because they didn't have one album or another and I couldn't figure out any other way to get it... I was so young, so naive.

I remember an obsession with "Endless Farewell" that began listening to a dub'd tape (I bought all the albums on CD, but didn't have a portable CD walkman because at the time they cost roughly as much as the GDP of a small South American nation) out in the woods near my house. It was a damp-ish day, always threatening rain but never really making good on the threat. I just sat on a fallen tree in the woods, constantly rewinding the tape and listening to that song again and again and again.

I still obsessively listen to songs that strike me. Thankfully it's the age of MP3's, so the songs don't start getting that weird distortion after repeated abuse.

Chuckwagon
Brand New Shine

Post by Chuckwagon »

Hey Everybody - This is probably an incorrect posting - sorry if it is - but I finally grew enough balls to join this web-conversation-posting-friendship or however you'd qualify this forum...

FYI...I've been a "peeper" for over a year, checking out this site at least once a day. I LOVE SOUL ASYULUM!!!! I thought I a was a fan, but you guys are crazy...(love it). I fell in love with SA at Saints field about 15 years ago w/ Matthew Sweet and the J-Hawks - BEST day of my life. Hopefully, I'll be able to tell you about that in a future post. Unfortunatellly, its looking like I might not even see SA in 2008/2009. Zoiks!!

I saw SA 17 times in the last 2 years and am actually pretty bummed that their tour is so non-midwest based - but I've discovered thru this site how interantional SA really is - LOVE THAT!!!!

OK - here's the REAL reason for my post - I play guitar prertty badly, but I love to play SA on my guitar - as a matter of fact, just to be cool, I bought he closest electric guitar I could find to Dave's - MAN, I LOVE THAT CREAM COLRED TELE THAT HE PLAYS... WTF is with the story on the small plaque that he slapped on that beautiful piece of art just because they happend to be at a stupid Holiday Inn so long ago...(let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about - It's the one time I was finally able to ask Dave a question about why he has the plaque on his F'N super-cool guitar...)

Ya know - The main reason I signed up tonight is because I play guitar (but not very good). I Love the fact that SA has so many fans that go way back when - Grave Dancers Union - and so far beyond... But I think we all know how much better this band has become in the last 5 yerars...do you guys agree?...

I'm looking for chords/tabs for the songs on TSL album so that I can mini-jam for my kids at home. I'm a proud dad - SA is the favorite band of me, my wife and my kids - Katie (9 yrs old) - loves the fact that Dave is such a magical lyricisist; we discuss the words/meanings of the lyrics almost daily; Jack (7yrs old) fhas always loved "Somebody to Shove", but he's evolved to "Black Gold" as his fave' - and Rudy (6 years old) still singiing somebody to shove daily. FYI - Jack's & Rudy's first live concert ever was SA just outside of milwaukee last summer -SUCH a proud father I am...

Any one of you crazy SA fans have the ability to send me the chords (so I can play them) for any songs from TSL? or at least can anyone direct me to a sirt ewjhrewew I can download there nerwer songs?

Thanks Family - Love you guys!!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

chuckwagon welcome to the forum, glad you finally posted - so i don't think i've heard this holiday inn plaque on the guitar story - love to hear it.

as for guitar tabs - i don't play but there's been some fizzled discussion about tabs here: http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/forum ... hilit=tabs

it didn't seem to go anywhere, but maybe you can jump start it by sharing any you have of other songs and maybe that'll get anybody that has TSL tabs to share? i'm guessing you didn't find anything good just googling it?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Chuckwagon wrote: MAN, I LOVE THAT CREAM COLRED TELE THAT HE PLAYS... WTF is with the story on the small plaque that he slapped on that beautiful piece of art just because they happend to be at a stupid Holiday Inn so long ago...(let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about - It's the one time I was finally able to ask Dave a question about why he has the plaque on his F'N super-cool guitar...)
hey i just noticed what you're talkign about in this pic from the spain show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lasttourin ... 522381698/