Soul Asylum 'Super Hits' released August 26, 2008?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Soul Asylum 'Super Hits' released August 26, 2008?

Post by TravisSaves »

According to a ton of music sites, a Soul Asylum 'Super Hits' compilation was released on August 26, 2008 care of SonyBMG Special Markets.

I did not know about this and thought I would share it with you all!

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hits-Soul-A ... B001E77XP8

<3 Travis

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Soul Asylum 'Super Hits' released August 26, 2008?

Post by Monolith Maniac »

According to its tracklisting it seems to be an re-release of the Runaway Train compilation that Columbia put out about 10 years ago with just different cover art and semi different label.

I added this album to the discography when I came across the album about 2 months ago but never thought to post a link to Amazon; thanks for bringing it up.

Apparently I listed this album under the "Miscellaneous" category and not the "Compilation" section (which should have also been done for the Runaway Train compilation as well); I'll make sure the necessary changes are made.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I hate crap like this. It seems like Sony just keeps releasing these greatest hits albums hoping to make a few bucks. This one doesn't even have anything from TSL. It's like they went from LYDLS and GDU picked the obvious big hits, then just randomly selected songs to make it more than 30 minutes long.

This stuff just serves to cheapen the bands name and image. I remember being excited when Black Gold: The Best of soul asylum was released, as that was at least a real greatest hits album, thought went into it, and it wasn't just a way to make a quick buck. These new things just tend to go straight to discount racks. I guess it's just one more soul asylum "thing" I will refuse to buy.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

You're right about the discount racks. I think I saw that earlier Runaway Train compilation in a gas station/truck stop/rest area once.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Does the band or Dave or Dan or their management have (or had ) any authority to prevent sony from releasing this? I don't want to speak for the guys (although I am about to) but I can hardly believe they would approve of this.

Or; is it a case where Sony owns the rights to the songs and can do what they want?

Plus; lets be honest, how can any "Super hits" include a song from CFAS. :shock: :P
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

last time I checked and "The Game" was on Candy.....

If I see this at a truck stop or whatever for cheap, I'll probably buy it. I'll play it in the car for my son who is now getting into the band. 8-)
philipgar wrote:I hate crap like this. It's like they went from LYDLS and GDU picked the obvious big hits, then just randomly selected songs to make it more than 30 minutes long.
Phil
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

The way it usually works is that Dan, Dave and whomever wrote the song- owns the song.

Though, Sony own the "sound recording"- meaning Sony can release those recordings whenever, wherever, and in whatever form they want.

(Does the band or Dave or Dan or their management have (or had ) any authority to prevent sony from releasing this?)