Soul Asylum's Genre - Once And For All

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Soul Asylum's Genre - Once And For All

Post by lune ellise »

This happened to me on countless occasions already - I have to find a way to solve it!

My classmates, who are under a self-formed indie band, are trying to "discover" other music. They are quite interested in Soul Asylum (I was ecstatic!) and I was obliged to answer their questions. Something stumped me though - they asked what genre they are in.

My answer is less informative. I told them that the album they are listening to (Hang Time) is quite Grunge, but not really since it predates Grunge.

I also explained to them that SA's albums sounds very different from one another. I let them listen to Hang Time, GDU, LYDLS, CFAS, TSL succesively [if you wondered how, we were on this very loooong trip yesterday, and they have nothing to do but sit on my car]. They were surprised we were listening to one band all along. Guess I got the message through them :lol:

I found that I can, at least, classify every SA album by genre, but not SA as a whole.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Soul Asylum's Genre - Once And For All

Post by AlyssaJones »

There's this episode of Futurama where they're at this hippie concert (it's the episode with Beck, if you watch the show) and they describe the music played at the show as "vaugely folkish alterna-rock" and I've applied that phrase to SA, but still it seems to be missing something.

vaugely folkish alternative punk rock?
vaugely punkish alternative pop rock?
vaugely grungey punkish folk rock?

It's an impossible task.
Last edited by AlyssaJones on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

They're just a rock band, really. They've done alt country, grunge, alternative, punk, pop, and outright weird :)

My friend Erica classifies their genre as "awkward".

They have themselves classed as "rock" .

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

lune ellise wrote:I also explained to them that SA's albums sounds very different from one another. I let them listen to Hang Time, GDU, LYDLS, CFAS, TSL succesively [if you wondered how, we were on this very loooong trip yesterday, and they have nothing to do but sit on my car]. They were surprised we were listening to one band all along. Guess I got the message through them :lol:
I'm doing that now...going through all my Soul Asylum songs...successively by album (as well outtakes, demos, soundtracks and those off singles, ex. The Break and James at 16 (medley)). Those of you who've sent me songs, I appreciate your generosity and kindness and for sharing your SA riches with me. You're awesome! ;)
sheryl wrote:They have themselves classed as "rock" .

So rock it is, but Soul Asylum style. :D Funny, but I'd just classify them as Soul Asylum. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

I found this quote in an old post about the Sept. 6 show in Raleigh, NC:

"Opening Sept. 6, is Soul Asylum, which has cut nine albums over their 24-year sojourn delivering quirky, off-centered, cut-to-the-bone rock."

That sums it up perfectly. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Okay, I've been through all my songs (83 of them so far, 94 if I include Faces and Names, a piddly amount considering the amount of material they've released). Listening to Faces and Names again. :P
CrazyLittleWoman wrote:I found this quote in an old post about the Sept. 6 show in Raleigh, NC:

"Opening Sept. 6, is Soul Asylum, which has cut nine albums over their 24-year sojourn delivering quirky, off-centered, cut-to-the-bone rock."

That sums it up perfectly. :)
Yaaaaaaay for quirky, off-centered cut-to-the-bone rock! That's the best kind there is. ;)

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

sheryl wrote:They're just a rock band, really. They've done alt country, grunge, alternative, punk, pop, and outright weird :)
I agree.

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

I think they are pop rock at most.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Rock and Roll. To try to squeeze them into a less general category is insulting. That would be like calling the Beatles a boy band.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more