Paul Pirner

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Re: Paul Pirner

Post by triumph3434 »

So is the sister in a band?

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Dunno, but she and her husband run the charity that the Gluek's show raised money for - the charity raised funds to supply instruments and music classes to students who attend schools without a music program. So it's possible she is skilled on an instrument, but I'm thinking more school band type instrument, although that's only a guess, and it's entirely possible that she followed in her brother's footsteps, but I've never heard of it.

dells

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Out of curiosity, I just did a web search for Lucy. This is one thing I found that corresponds with what Della said:

Lucy Pirner, M.S. is licensed in Minnesota as a Psychologist and in Wisconsin as a Professional Counselor. Lucy has always had a penchant for helping challenged youth and working with children who display emotional and behavioral disorders. Lucy is a founding member of The Starry Night Collective and joined the effort with the knowledge that the arts are an answer to help these children be productive and happy members of our society. She is excited and proud to be a part of an organization that will make a dramatic difference.

The Starry Night Collective is a small group of dedicated people who believe that every child deserves a chance to learn and grow to their full potential.

Because children with E/BD often learn best through methods that traditional education models do not recognize, these children are often taken out of mainstream classes and put into settings and programs that do not offer the arts and music as learning modalities. Thus these students are deprived of what may be their best chance for learning—an arts-infused education—and learning how to be responsible, aware, happy and self-reliant members of society.

We work to correct this problem as a 501c(3) nonprofit corporation driven by passionate volunteers and generous supporters.

I found a pic too, if that's her... No stalking now!

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Looks like a pirner.

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

triumph3434 wrote:Looks like a pirner.
Yes, that is "our" Lucy Pirner. By "our", I of course, simply mean Dave's sister.

dells

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

dells wrote:
triumph3434 wrote:Looks like a pirner.
Yes, that is "our" Lucy Pirner. By "our", I of course, simply mean Dave's sister.

dells
I'm glad my research skills still work from time to time. :) She looks like she'd be a nice therapist.

Sónia
Marionette

Post by Sónia »

"Paul Pirner is a father, musician and writer, and a founding member of The Starry Night Collective. Born and raised in Minneapolis, he received his B.A. in English from the University of St. Thomas in 1994. He brings a life-long dedication to the arts and children’s issues to SNC, and is a proud member of the board of Directors. Paul lives in Minneapolis with his wife and two young sons."

Sónia
Marionette

Post by Sónia »

I have a photo of Mr. and Mrs. Pirner but I don´t remember where I found it.
Last edited by Sónia on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

I did not take that photo, but I can tell you that yes, those are Dave's parents. I can also confirm that that photo was taken at the Gleuk's show in 2004, which, by the way, was NOT the Rock for Democracy benefit, as listed on the shows page. The Gleuk's show was a benefit show to raise money for music instruments for the same children that Lucy & Paul's Starry Night Collective currently assists. It was booked as a Dave Pirner solo show, and Dave was estatic that the rest of Soul Asylum showed up as well to help him out. Gotta love that generous, humanitarian Pirner family with the bucketloads of talent that they use to full advantage in their various fundraising events.

dells

Sónia
Marionette

Post by Sónia »

Yes they look all very humanitarian and music lovers.

Lucy Pirner seems a very nice person. The eyes are different from Dave´s eyes (brown and not blue).