Soul Asylum is respected in the 80's Hair Metal community!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Soul Asylum is respected in the 80's Hair Metal community!

Post by TravisSaves »

Besides my undying love for Soul Asylum, I also have a huge place in my heart for 80's hair metal. I know it may be uncommon to love both Soul Asylum and Poison, but I do!

Anyways, my favorite 80's Hair Metal site is Metal Sludge. Thousands of Hair Metal fans post on there every day, and its always a fun time to read the posts.

As I was going through the daily posts about Poison, Motley Crue, and Guns N' Roses, I see a topic called Soul Asylum- with 56 replies!

I click it only to read dozens and dozens of positive things being said about Soul Asylum (literally, 98% of the replies were how Soul Asylum is a great band)!

It made me real excited to read about peoples thoughts on Soul Asylum- people we most likely don't hear from!

Here are some excerpts:

-I think their last cd The Silver Lining was one of their best.
-I saw them a few years ago in NYC opening for Cheap Trick, and I said this once before and got crucified on this board, but I don't give a fuck - Soul Asylum blew Cheap Trick off the stage.
-Terrific band. Never discovered them until Grave Dancer's Union, and then went back and bought all the old stuff. Let Your Dim Light Shine is terrific, and their new disc, The Silver Lining, is terrific. Check out "Oxygen,"--my favorite track on that disc.
-Let Your Dim Light Shine is one of the first disks that comes to my mind when people talk about underrated disks. It's a great disk that I still break out often.

If anyone wants to sign up for their message board (which is not always an easy task- took me months to get a password confirmation), here is the link to the Soul Asylum topic:

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/vie ... oul+asylum

Maybe I am not so bizarre for loving Soul Asylum and Poison at the same time! Maybe they should tour together!? :D

<3 Travis

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Soul Asylum is respected in the 80's Hair Metal community!

Post by philipgar »

TravisSaves wrote: Maybe I am not so bizarre for loving Soul Asylum and Poison at the same time! Maybe they should tour together!? :D
Clam Dip and Other Delights wrote: It began with the soaks, we thought. But at the Asylum's debut as Con artists in St. Paul, we noticed, in our fright, that it's easier to shave an ant than to catalog the "Typical Soul Asylum Fan." Sure, the drunks were there, but so were the "punks" and the "geeks", the "dirty old men" and the Molly Ringwald wannabees, the custodial crew and Karl's mom. In fact, one observer, who looked as though he stepped from a page in Your Flesh said, "You would think that most of these people would have just stayed home and done their laundry or something."
Phil

LyndaleExile
Marionette

Post by LyndaleExile »

TravisSaves wrote:I know it may be uncommon to love both Soul Asylum and Poison, but I do!
I regularly make jokes about hair bands. But today, on the way to dinner, "Talk Dirty to Me" came on the radio. Maybe it's because of that Scrubs episode, maybe it's old age, but.... damn, that song's a pretty good song.

It's no "Cartoon", though.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

This might be off-topic, but I never considered Guns N' Roses a hair metal band. If anything, they blew all those cheesy hair metal bands away back in the day and made rock 'n roll dangerous again with their music and not by concentrating on make-up and who the biggest hairdo had.

carolp
Stranger

Post by carolp »

TravisSaves wrote:Besides my undying love for Soul Asylum, I also have a huge place in my heart for 80's hair metal. I know it may be uncommon to love both Soul Asylum and Poison, but I do!
I'm with you. Some of my favorite bands include Pantera (<3!!), Type O Negative, Sepultura... and yet, I also have this undying love for Soul Asylum that you were talking about.

It's good to see we're not alone at being unusual, eh? :P

And way to go for that forum and the people saying good stuff about SA!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

carolp wrote:
TravisSaves wrote:Besides my undying love for Soul Asylum, I also have a huge place in my heart for 80's hair metal. I know it may be uncommon to love both Soul Asylum and Poison, but I do!
I'm with you. Some of my favorite bands include Pantera (<3!!), Type O Negative, Sepultura... and yet, I also have this undying love for Soul Asylum that you were talking about.

It's good to see we're not alone at being unusual, eh? :P

And way to go for that forum and the people saying good stuff about SA!

My two favorite bands right through to 2000 were Def Leppard and Soul Asylum :)

You're not weird at all!

And.....whoever it was on that forum was right...I was at the NYC show when SA opened for Cheap Trick and they absolutely DID blow Cheap Trick off the stage. Without a doubt.They did it again the next night in Boston...

They were NICE to people too, as opposed to Cheap Trick, who we witnessed sucking massively quite a few times both before and after the show.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

“In the day;” my teen years and 20’s (80’s and 90’s), my friends and I you to discuss/ argue our lists… favorite bands, albums, songs back to back songs, one hit wonders etc…we’d rip and ridicule each others lists. Maybe it was a guy thing; not sure.

Anyways; my belligerence end my up on the wrong end of an as* whopping more times than I can remember. :shock: All in fun; still on the wrong end. It’s still funny; probably funnier today.

But; the band that caused me the most whoppings was Poison. Couldn’t/ can’t stand them; please don’t take any offense; I’m not as passionate about that now. The way I see things today; anyone who puts out music and can find an audience; it’s really a remarkable thing. The odds of succeeding are astronomical.

One of my favorite bands from the “Minneapolis scene” in the early 90’s was a band called Janitor Joe. I thought they were awesome; saw them numerous times in the 7th street entry. I always thought they’d make it on the national scene; loud and fast was their rule (sorry for the pun; couldn’t resist). Their bassist was Kristen Pfaff; she left the band and went on to play in Hole and…well we know the rest of the story. But; anyways Janitor Joe “never made it” and I couldn’t figure out why they “couldn’t find their or a mass audience” because I thought they were awesome.

Travis; I don’t think you are apologizing for liking Poison nor should you nor should any of us for our musical preferences. For an artist to find an audience is really quite a remarkable accomplishment. Hey…it’s better than working for a living.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.