Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Hi Guys,

Sorry I missed that article and joined this discussion a little late. I can't apologize for The Miami Herald (although my husband prints it) because they are just quoting Joe. However, I do disagree with the one hit status. Runaway Train may be their biggest hit, but it was hardly the only song that received attention. When we (myself, husband, & daughter) saw SA almost two years ago, the rock group The Romantics had played the night before. In my opinion, The Romantics just missed one hit wonder status by wringing out one more memorable tune, Talking In Your Sleep, years after What I Like About You. I'm too tired to come up with legitimate examples, but essentially, a one hit wonder only gets that one song on the radio. I know satellite radio and internet sites like youtube and myspace (etc.) may change that definition, but as someone who remembers what Michael Jackson really looked like, that's mine.

Peace,
Carol

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

Being a fan of both bands, and having met both bands (minus either of the old-school drummers in SA or Steve Clark in DL), I think both bands can be appreciated as people and as musicians.

For Joe to say anything about SA, I guess my question is who cares? We all know bands like DL will do an American Summer tour each summer, with some other has-been 80's band. It was a slap in Cheap Trick's face to have them open for those bands this summer. How did Joe feel about that?

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

This is silly, Joe Elliot use to be my favorite and I am a HUGE Def Lep fan, but I am taking Soul Asylum over Def Leppard.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Who?? 8-)

Honestly; there isn't a comparision.

Dave actually writes great songs; Joe. Try it sometime.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

NightHawk
Stranger

Post by NightHawk »

Any one of Soul Asylums albums is a million times better then a Def Leppard greatest hits album.

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

I always thought of a "One Hit Wonder" band as having a great hit song or 2 then vanishing off the face of the earth never to tour or produce music again.

Weird Al = Awesomeness.

Your never really popular until Weird Al does a parody of your song ;)

Honestly, another band that I used to love when I got into Soul Asylum, Def Leppard, and Moxy Fruvous was Mr. Big. I thought they actually broke up. To which was true, in 2002, they disbanded, but in 2009, they actually reunited with all 4 original band members too [Paul Gilbert - guitarist left in 1996]

None of the bands are or ever were considered /ONE HIT/ wonders, to me at least, they had more then one album and many hits.

Look at SA, they are still alive and kickin and sound great live. Eric Martin of Mr. Big is going on 51 this year and he's also alive and kickin.

Obviously SA aren't one hit wonders, at least not to me.
Image are of baby rats my female gave birth too ;D

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i always thought eric martin had one of rocks best voices im also a big richie kotzen fan both of them together is pretty awesome hard to believe he's 51 so is jeff keith from tesla one of my fave bands. im going to see tesla in june they opened for def lep afew years ago tesla still puts out good cds but lep hasnt to me since steve clark died something changed with them.dave's ten times the performer joe is.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:i always thought eric martin had one of rocks best voices im also a big richie kotzen fan both of them together is pretty awesome hard to believe he's 51 so is jeff keith from tesla one of my fave bands. im going to see tesla in june they opened for def lep afew years ago tesla still puts out good cds but lep hasnt to me since steve clark died something changed with them.dave's ten times the performer joe is.

Dave is in better shape than Joe, that is for sure. Saw them in 2007 with Journey, and I think it took all Joe could do to sing one song.
Saw a few other good bands that yea. Goo Goo Dolls, Motley Crue, Black Crowes,Skynyrd, Lifehouse, Slaughter, hell I even saw some country too. Anyway, I am waiting for the day that my eyes and ears will be blessed with the LIVE music of Soul Asylum.

It's sad, all those bands ( except Lifehouse) I mentioned were around the same time as Def Lep, and they performed an outstanding show. Leppard lacked!

Heather

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

I would love to see Soul Asylum and Mr. Big, seeing them live via youtube videos shows me how interactive and energetic they all are. Dave is 47 and Eric is 50, and its amazing how they are quite active for their age, keeping the audience going and having fun. Hopefully i can see them both one day. I already saw 3 of my favourite bands - one of them 2 times already. So SA and Mr. Big hopefully in the future.

Maybe i should plan a trip to Japan to see Mr. Big xD
Image are of baby rats my female gave birth too ;D