Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Post by sheryl »

The link has inexplicably stopped working,maybe it'll come back up....if it does this is it:
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/1179610.html

but two minutes ago I read an interview with Joe Elliot in the Miami Herald where he declaired Soul Asylum a one hit wonder.

I believe the quote was "Soul Asylum...One hit, Runaway Train, and gone."

RIGHT THEN!

Because I'm also on the Def Leppard board I went on there and told them what I thought lol.

I can't even count how many times I've been kicked off that board for telling them what I thought....like the time they asked what we all thought of the new record and I told them I thought it was useless twaddle....oops....here we go again, the countdown to my def lep booting from the board begins now.......

But come on, one hit wonders? Gimme a break.

CULater
Caged Rat

Re: Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Post by CULater »

Oh, how I pity those who just aren't aware of all that they're missing.....

That being said, c'mon...even if you're just going by radio play in the 90's, let's not forget the other hits (besides Runaway Train) that played for the masses to hear such as Misery, Promises Broken, Somebody to Shove, Black Gold, Without A Trace, Just Like Anyone, etc.

Not too shabby, boys.....
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Anybody who says Soul Asylum is a one hit wonder doesn't know what a one hit wonder is. One hit wonders don't stick around for 26 years, get declared "the best live band in America", make 11 albums, or have Tommy Stinson and Michael Bland in them. I mean come on, they're older than the freakin' Internet. But then again it's not like I have to tell anyone here that. :)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I wish I'd thought to mention Tommy and Michael when I posted on the def lep board lol.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

aaaaaaaaaaand i've been booted again

Post by sheryl »

since now every single one of the words i try to post to the board are no longer allowed :)

THIS is what I get when I try to post. However, others here on this machine can post. lol. They're such babies.

The webmaster there has told me I'm "mean" on more than one occasion. Check this out.....this is what a "real" rock band does if a fan says anything other than "I LUV U!!!!!!"

Could not insert new word

INSERT IGNORE INTO defleppard_search_wordlist (word_text, word_common) VALUES ('80s', 0), ('account', 0), ('active', 0), ('actually', 0), ('again', 0), ('always', 0), ('annoying', 0), ('anyone', 0), ('article', 0), ('awesome', 0), ('back', 0), ('band', 0), ('bassist', 0), ('began', 0), ('black', 0), ('bland', 0), ('board', 0), ('broken', 0), ('calling', 0), ('came', 0), ('check', 0), ('cobain', 0), ('comment', 0), ('consider', 0), ('count', 0), ('country', 0), ('criticism', 0), ('def', 0), ('defending', 0), ('distasteful', 0), ('early', 0), ('excuse', 0), ('fan', 0), ('force', 0), ('friend', 0), ('friends', 0), ('gnr', 0), ('gold', 0), ('half', 0), ('happened', 0), ('hard', 0), ('hes', 0), ('hits', 0), ('huge', 0), ('icon', 0), ('includes', 0), ('ive', 0), ('jackass', 0), ('joe', 0), ('kind', 0), ('lame', 0), ('lep', 0), ('leps', 0), ('lets', 0), ('loyalty', 0), ('made', 0), ('make', 0), ('mention', 0), ('michael', 0), ('misery', 0), ('music', 0), ('musical', 0), ('name', 0), ('newbie', 0), ('one', 0), ('own', 0), ('paso', 0), ('people', 0), ('pointing', 0), ('prince', 0), ('promises', 0), ('quot', 0), ('read', 0), ('recently', 0), ('reckoned', 0), ('reintigrate', 0), ('remark', 0), ('remarks', 0), ('remember', 0), ('replacements', 0), ('retired', 0), ('ripped', 0), ('runaway', 0), ('scribbledaway', 0), ('shabby', 0), ('shove', 0), ('since', 0), ('somebody', 0), ('someone', 0), ('speaking', 0), ('speaks', 0), ('still', 0), ('stinson', 0), ('strange', 0), ('suggesting', 0), ('suggestion', 0), ('sundry', 0), ('tact', 0), ('thanks', 0), ('think', 0), ('tommy', 0), ('trace', 0), ('train', 0), ('try', 0), ('uncalled', 0), ('unfortunate', 0), ('uninformed', 0), ('username', 0), ('wanted', 0), ('wasnt', 0), ('who', 0), ('whole', 0), ('whos', 0), ('worked', 0), ('working', 0), ('yeah', 0), ('years', 0)

Line : 234
File : functions_search.php

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Here's the link to the story.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainmen ... orylink=pd

I also Googled "one hit wonders of the 90's" and sadly came upon list after list, such as this one from a Rockband forum (though not a professionally written article).

A post later on in the thread tried to remove them from the list.
(I find the post below them quite amusing after they mentioned it).

I've said it before, but I can't believe how many people (especially those writing for newspapers, and music magazines nonetheless) list them as one... I'd definitely make sure to do a little research before publishing it (they're even mentioned on Wikipedia they're not). :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Am I the only one who really don't get moved by this whole thing? I mean, in many respects Soul Asylum fills the niche of the one hit wonder. They had their hit, and had a few more minor songs (but none near the success of Runaway Train), and as far as the MTV/radio world was concerned they disappeared into obscurity again.... Precisely where they had come from in the first place. It's not a big deal, I mean it's sad that the masses forgot about them, but in the end does that really matter? The masses move on to whatever the fashion du jour is, and don't really give a shit about music. They never really liked the band, but liked that the band was big, or something along those lines. The liking the rock star for the sake that they're a rock star thing. It's not that they care two bits about the music, but get caught up in the hype and glamor of it all. This isn't what rock and roll is about, it's what the music industry is about, but not what Soul Asylum is about.

Some bands continue on to sell more records, others go back to their roots, and carry on with their few fans following in tow. But for a band like Soul Asylum to stay on the top, I'd hate to see what they'd have had to go through. Hell, to stay up there producing hits they'd likely have ended up sucking by now. They would no longer be their own band, but rather whatever could make them money. They wouldn't have their own lives anymore, but they'd continue the scripted ilves of rock stars. I dunno, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. If nothing else they likely would have broken up, or worse from the pressure.

Where they are now is in a post MTV radio age, with a solid fan base that loves there music. I think the whole appealing to radio etc isn't going to work for them, but rather to build up their base again from the ground up. Appeal to the true lovers of music who will give a shit about a band. I think there's a lot that could be gained from this approach, it just won't let them reach the point of superstardom. Of course, many of the "music lovers" out there are so jaded by the industry that they won't give the band the time of day because they've had their hits. Who really knows what is best I suppose. I just don't see the band selling out to the almighty dollar ending well for SA, and glad that hasn't happened.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

1. who the heck is joe elliott?? (ok read the article and figured it out now - but that was my first impression)

2. his line "Soul Asylum -- one hit, Runaway Train, gone.'' does NOT say the phrase "one hit wonder" which for some reason makes a difference to me

3. phil - it DOES bug me to have them called a one hit wonder. why... because it's usually said with a really bad connotation in my opinion. however this article doesn't really say it THAT badly and doesn't really bother me as much.

4. really, pearl jam is still around? (sorry i honestly didn't know - haven't heard anything about them in forever but i never really liked them anyways - just my opinion though - not calling them any names!)

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

Well said Phil.

Remember, Success Is Not So Sweet.....

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

soe Elliott's a self-important idiot. My husband used to hang out with DL and said Phil was the coolest, but Joe was rather stuck on himself. Just browsing over that article makes it quite evident. So pay no mind to this. He has nothing important to say.