Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Re: Joe Elliott declairs Soul Asylum "one hit and gone"

Post by blueharvest »

Yup, if you wanna see Mr. Big, just come over here to Japan. There's posters up for their big summer tour (no pun intended). I'm not a fan but then again I think I've only heard 1 or maybe 2 songs by them (I think 1 was a cover of Cat Stevens' Wild World if I'm not mistaken?). Kinda sad that one of your biggest hits is actually a cover. Eric Martin is HUGE over here. He's put out a couple of really awful cover albums of crappy Japanese songs under the name "Mr. Vocalist". Debbie Gibson is his partner in crime as "Ms Vocalist" just to give you an idea of how bad this stuff is. But, I guess they gotta go where the paychecks are. Can't blame them too much.

As for Def Leppard, I pretty much put them in the same boat as Aerosmith when it comes to songwriting. Neither band seems capable of writing a hit song without the help of some musical prostitute. Again, if you are seeking hits and money, can't blame them too much.

SA to most people's eyes (ears!?) probably are one hit wonders. Doesn't mean they only have one good song. It just means that for whatever reason, the larger lowest common denominator mass of humanoids didn't embrace the songs they heard (or the corporations in control didn't force feed them on said mass). Honestly, would you really like SA better if every song they released was a no.1 hit and their faces were all over every magazine, etc...? Do you think you'd be able to meet and hang out with the band after gigs if they were being mobbed by raving gangs of screaming lunatic teenagers? I'll take them as they are right now anyday.

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

Mr. Big had a few hits in the 90's. Wild World was one, so was Green Tinted 60s Mind and To be With You. Send me some of those Japanese posters with Mr. Big on them LMAO xD, I wouldnt mind having some to add to my collection.

Theres i think 3 Mr Vocalist albums out of songs he sings from other artists, I've only heard of a few, they actually arent bad.

I still like the band as a whole rather then solos.

I do like Def Leppard, I still love their music, but Im not a big enough fan to want to actually see them. But it was quite rude of what Joe said about Soul asylum. SA love making music, and playing, being there for the fans, i dont think Dave or the rest of the band really cares what anyone has to say about them.

Why put down other musicians? Its quite pointless -.-
Image are of baby rats my female gave birth too ;D

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

Heather1983 wrote:
EL DANGEROSO wrote:i always thought eric martin had one of rocks best voices im also a big richie kotzen fan both of them together is pretty awesome hard to believe he's 51 so is jeff keith from tesla one of my fave bands. im going to see tesla in june they opened for def lep afew years ago tesla still puts out good cds but lep hasnt to me since steve clark died something changed with them.dave's ten times the performer joe is.

Dave is in better shape than Joe, that is for sure. Saw them in 2007 with Journey, and I think it took all Joe could do to sing one song.
Saw a few other good bands that yea. Goo Goo Dolls, Motley Crue, Black Crowes,Skynyrd, Lifehouse, Slaughter, hell I even saw some country too. Anyway, I am waiting for the day that my eyes and ears will be blessed with the LIVE music of Soul Asylum.

It's sad, all those bands ( except Lifehouse) I mentioned were around the same time as Def Lep, and they performed an outstanding show. Leppard lacked!

Heather
my brothers a huge leppard fan but even he said after seeing them a couple years ago he wouldnt see them again because joe doesnt take care of himself and like you said seems out of breath.as much as dave moves he never seems out of breath.btw ive also seen black crowes and slaughter they put on a great show.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:
Heather1983 wrote:
EL DANGEROSO wrote:i always thought eric martin had one of rocks best voices im also a big richie kotzen fan both of them together is pretty awesome hard to believe he's 51 so is jeff keith from tesla one of my fave bands. im going to see tesla in june they opened for def lep afew years ago tesla still puts out good cds but lep hasnt to me since steve clark died something changed with them.dave's ten times the performer joe is.

Dave is in better shape than Joe, that is for sure. Saw them in 2007 with Journey, and I think it took all Joe could do to sing one song.
Saw a few other good bands that yea. Goo Goo Dolls, Motley Crue, Black Crowes,Skynyrd, Lifehouse, Slaughter, hell I even saw some country too. Anyway, I am waiting for the day that my eyes and ears will be blessed with the LIVE music of Soul Asylum.

It's sad, all those bands ( except Lifehouse) I mentioned were around the same time as Def Lep, and they performed an outstanding show. Leppard lacked!

Heather
my brothers a huge leppard fan but even he said after seeing them a couple years ago he wouldnt see them again because joe doesnt take care of himself and like you said seems out of breath.as much as dave moves he never seems out of breath.btw ive also seen black crowes and slaughter they put on a great show.

He is right, Joe doesn't take care of himself. I was shocked to hear that the Black Crowes are calling it quits for the last time. I missed them on this last tour, "Say goodnight to the Bad Boys". I think the Crowes stood the test of time as well.

Mark Slaughter has done a great job of keeping up with the music scene. I did enjoy their show here in Daytona Fl.

I am really hoping that I get to see Soul Asylum at least once. I would see the Black Crowes and the Goo Goo Dolls again, and from the youtube videos, I think Soul Asylum would be a band that I would see multiple times! Rock On!

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

I hope i can see SA before the band disbands, same with Mr. Big, though they arleady once before:disbanded in 2002 and Paul Gilbert left in 1996, i want to see them again before they call it quits for good. All 4 original band members reunited, so its pretty cool thy got back together.

I like the goo goo dolls. They are pretty good.

I have seen a few band live, but im not sure people have heard of them LOL, they arent exactly rockish xD

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i didnt know the crowes were breaking up again too bad.i really like the bassist from the goo goo dolls i think his names robbie i prefer his voice over johnny i still listen to superstar carwash i feel its there best cd it came out right before a boy named goo.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:i didnt know the crowes were breaking up again too bad.i really like the bassist from the goo goo dolls i think his names robbie i prefer his voice over johnny i still listen to superstar carwash i feel its there best cd it came out right before a boy named goo.

Yes, The Crowes are calling it quits. I have tons of Bootlegged Shows of the Crowes. That was something really cool they allowed the fans to do. Tape their shows. If you are interested, I can send you a few? Robbie has a great Song on the New C.D called "Something for the Rest of Us". The Song is " Now I Hear". Awesome Song, If you like Superstar Carwash, you will love that song.

topiratti
Inmate

Post by topiratti »

i have superstar carwash, my fav song is we are the normal ^_^

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

Heather1983 wrote:
EL DANGEROSO wrote:i didnt know the crowes were breaking up again too bad.i really like the bassist from the goo goo dolls i think his names robbie i prefer his voice over johnny i still listen to superstar carwash i feel its there best cd it came out right before a boy named goo.

Yes, The Crowes are calling it quits. I have tons of Bootlegged Shows of the Crowes. That was something really cool they allowed the fans to do. Tape their shows. If you are interested, I can send you a few? Robbie has a great Song on the New C.D called "Something for the Rest of Us". The Song is " Now I Hear". Awesome Song, If you like Superstar Carwash, you will love that song.
thanx for the offer to send those shows thats cool of you ill let you know.ill check out that new song from the goo's i havent listened to the last few cd's i also listen to a boy named goo NAME was so overplayed i usually skip that one.

Heather1983
Runaway

Post by Heather1983 »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:
Heather1983 wrote:

thanx for the offer to send those shows thats cool of you ill let you know.ill check out that new song from the goo's i havent listened to the last few cd's i also listen to a boy named goo NAME was so overplayed i usually skip that one.

I agree with you on "Name" There are plenty of songs they recorded that could be played out.

Yea, just let me know on the CD's. The Crowes' do a lot of cover songs at their shows. You would enjoy them!

Heather