any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Post by dells »

Before ppl start hatin' on me too much because I thought releasing Promises Broken as a single was a bad move, and not sticking with the plan to put Never Felt Before on TSL was an even worse move, I do want to make it clear that although I personally do not agree with those decisions by the band, I still respect and support their right to make their CDs the way THEY want them made, and not just cranking out stuff that they think the fans want. It's FAR more important to me that the guys create what THEY want to create, and can agree on as a band. Whatever makes them happy, and keeps Dan and Dave together as best buddies and in Soul Asylum. I will be happy to just be able to enjoy what they choose to share. Although I will still whine occassionally about a song that doesn't get released, I'll live as long as I can get a bootleg mp3 of some version of it. So far, so good, in that regard.

I do wish that Danny would contribute more of his writing to Soul Asylum, however. Some of my favorites were penned by Danny.

dells

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

AlyssaJones wrote:But then again it might have been better than The Great Exaggerator. ANYTHING is better than that song.
!!! i like the great exaggerator!!!

speaking of danny singing - is he the one singing on the GS song 'scotch on ice' ? i'm not sure.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

AlyssaJones wrote:But then again it might have been better than The Great Exaggerator. ANYTHING is better than that song.
Incidentally, people who exaggerate ALWAYS use capital letters to make their point. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I also like Great Exaggerator. I often get flak from my sisters for my tendency to overreact and freak out. It was comforting to hear Dave sing about behaving similarly (at least that's my interpretation). When he's asking "please don't argue" or "please don't disagree"...yeah, I have those moments too. Just let me freak out, get upset, and get it out of my system, please.

I remember the original version of Never Felt Before. I think Dave's vocals make it more haunting, but ultimately I was just happy to see the song see the light of day somehow.

I thought Promises Broken was the third single. I remember Misery coming out right at the end of my junior year of high school, then Just Like Anyone near the end of the summer (it was played on the rock stations where I lived), and finally Promises Broken around winter/early spring of 1996. I remember being surprised to hear that one on some of the quieter pop stations where I lived, and my friends and I heard it in the shoe store when we were prom shopping.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I guess The Great Exaggerator isn't too bad. Let's just agree to disagree.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Can I get an mp3 of Never Felt Before please? I have the Golden smog version, but not the SA version with dave singing. Anyone have it?

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Wow, This is one of my favorite SA tracks now. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing. I cant beleive ive never heard this.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Checked the liner notes of "another Fine Day" it is indeed credited to Murphy.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

AlyssaJones wrote:I guess The Great Exaggerator isn't too bad. Let's just agree to disagree.
No worries! :)

Atticusdog
Runaway

Post by Atticusdog »

Any chance of another m3 of never felt before? it'd really be appreciated!