any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Atticusdog
Runaway

any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Post by Atticusdog »

What do ya guys think? I would love to hear Danny sing a song or two on the new record(assuming there is one)

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Post by zany »

i agree! at least a danny co-write would be good :)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

You know what might be even cooler? A duet! How about that?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

A Danny-authored song would be cool, but I'd prefer Dave sing it! :)
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Atticusdog
Runaway

Post by Atticusdog »

Dave and Danny trading off vocals would be awesome!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Ya'll don't like Danny's singing? Corvette and Hurricane were awesome... Probably woulda been on the last SA record if it didn't take a decade to come out.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Oh God, don't get me ranting about Danny not putting any of his songwriting on Soul Asylum CDs.

I've been trying hard not to be really pissed off at Danny for taking Never Felt Before away from Soul Asylum (AFTER recording it for the CD that would later become The Silver Lining & choosing to put it on his Smog CD instead). But I AM really mad about it, so it's best for me to shut up now.

dells

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Huh. I didn't know Danny wrote Never Felt Before. Ya learn something every day. I don't think it would have fit in well on TSL though. But then again it might have been better than The Great Exaggerator. ANYTHING is better than that song.

Anyway, while we're on a Golden Smog tangent, does anybody know who the guy that's wearing the Soul Asylum t-shirt on the Another Fine Day liner notes is? He looks like Dave's brother but I know he's not in GS.

PS. Corvette is an awesome song :)

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

The guy in the SA t-shirt is Kraig Jarret Johnson. He got up on stage to sing with the guys this past May at the church tent party in Mound, MN.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

AlyssaJones wrote:Huh. I didn't know Danny wrote Never Felt Before. Ya learn something every day. I don't think it would have fit in well on TSL though. But then again it might have been better than The Great Exaggerator. ANYTHING is better than that song.

Actually, I really don't know for sure if Danny wrote it, but since it ended up on his Smog CD, I'm guessing that he must have written it. From the sample of that version that I could try on Amazon, the Smog version is nothing special at all. But Dave's vocals on the original Soul Asylum version totally captures the haunting beauty of the song.

I really could care less if it didn't "fit in" with the rest of TSL, It still should have been released as a Soul Asylum song, even if it had to be on a bonus disc or extra track on a single.

I don't really care if CDs have songs that ALL "go together". I prefer some variety, and wouldn't want to listen to the same "vibe" 12 songs in a row. When I load up my Soul Asylum playlisty of all my SA mp3s and randomise it, it doesn't bother me at all if an "oddball" tune shows up in the middle of a bunch of more "normal" rockers. It just adds more charm to the out of place tune.

About the only time I've thought a song was completely out of place was Promises Broken on Dim Light, but even then, I was O.K. with it being on the CD, because it is a good song. However, I was horrified that it was released as the 2nd single, because of it's destinctly country sound. I think that releasing a country flavored single probably damaged the sales figures of Dim Light by turning away more potential new fans from the rock n roll audience than it gained from the alt country set.

I'm gonna go hide from the egg bombs lobbed by the alt-country fans now ;)

dells
Last edited by dells on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.