any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: any chance Danny sings a tune on new record?

Post by philipgar »

I hadn't listened to the SA version of it for a while now... You can grab it for now at http://www.ece.wisc.edu/~pcgarcia/nfb.mp3, but I'll likely remove it in a week or two.

Phil

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

Id heard the old soundboard recording from a soundcheck (i think that was it) but never this one.

This is from the TSL sessions?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Kradokk wrote:Id heard the old soundboard recording from a soundcheck (i think that was it) but never this one.

This is from the TSL sessions?
I think this version was from a radio show danny was on and played it. It was a demo and was a few years before TSL came out. What soundcheck recording had you heard it at? The only one I know of was from miami in '98 that was recorded on a crappy pocket recorder, but was never really distributed for various reasons.

Phil

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

Its been a while, but years before the Smog version, there was another one.

The recording was of very poor quality, and for some reason I remember it sounding "live". I thought the story was it was recorded from a soundcheck or something by a fan.

I looked all over and cant find it. Its definitely not the same as the one you linked.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Kradokk wrote:Its been a while, but years before the Smog version, there was another one.

The recording was of very poor quality, and for some reason I remember it sounding "live". I thought the story was it was recorded from a soundcheck or something by a fan.

I looked all over and cant find it. Its definitely not the same as the one you linked.
oh okay, i know the version you're talking about. You confused me originally when you said a soundboard soundcheck, as the version from that soundcheck was of pretty poor quality. I have that soundcheck on tape somewhere, and haven't listened to it in years. I remember when dan played this version of never felt before on a radio show I was listening thinking "how do i know this song... i know i've heard it before". Eventually I realized it was from the soundcheck at the Miami show. That was one of those where we just kind of walked in in the middle of soundcheck and no one questioned us...

Phil

tied2thetracks
Marionette

Post by tied2thetracks »

Beenlookingforthisforawhike, Ithink itpredate scandy.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:A Danny-authored song would be cool, but I'd prefer Dave sing it! :)
you girls :roll: Co-singing I say!!

:mrgreen:
zany wrote: speaking of danny singing - is he the one singing on the GS song 'scotch on ice' ? i'm not sure.
yes
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

norma023 wrote:
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:A Danny-authored song would be cool, but I'd prefer Dave sing it! :)
you girls :roll: Co-singing I say!!

:mrgreen:
zany wrote: speaking of danny singing - is he the one singing on the GS song 'scotch on ice' ? i'm not sure.
yes

thanks for answering my scotch on ice Q!! :)

"you girls"?? hey not all the girls asked for dave to sing dan's songs! i like dan singing them.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Dang,

Have to admit I like the Dave singing version better. Although I like to hear Danny sing... so maybe co-sing is the cream of the puff! But maybe it is the SA back up I like better. Thanks for the link Phil, had neverheardbefore. Any chance SA would do Reflections... really like that!

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Dave really captured Never Felt Before, while Danny's vocal, even though he wrote it, just doesn't compare, right? Danny sounds like he's just going through the motions in the Smog version, IMO, while Dave really gets and FEELS the song. I love Danny's singing in Cartoon, though, so I'm thinking Danny's more comfortable with singing the faster, less personal songs, while Dave has had a lot more practice getting comfortable & confident enough to really pour himself into the more personal songs? But then, that theory is nulified by the fact that Dan did very well singing Promises Broken, and that's a personal song, so forget I even mentioned that hair-brained theory.... ;)

dells