First SA marriage?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
ArmyKat
Inmate

First SA marriage?

Post by ArmyKat »

So hopefully this is not too much of a corny post, but I can't think of a better place to be corny about this. My boyfriend of 10 looong years and I just got engaged, and I'd like to be so bold as to label ours the first Soul Asylum-inspired engagement. We "met" back in the Misery/AOL SA chatroom days, ran into each other at a few shows (while we were each dating non-SA fans), then actually started dating 10 years ago. A few dozen SA shows later, we're finally making it official. I figure he might be the only guy who accepts my fanatical behavior at SA shows, so I better make him commit before I totally lose it. ;)

Unfortunately, I can't think of any SA songs to have our first dance to, so what are the chances we can get the band to play at the reception? How about getting Dave to officiate? :D

Thanks for humoring us and reading this silly post!

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Re: First SA marriage?

Post by triumph3434 »

My wedding was full of SA. My dance with my mother was to Close, and our last dance was to Oxygen. Those were the offical songs. But otherwise we played a ton durring the reception.

I am the best man in my brothers wedding in a few months. Im gona slip a SA reference/quote into the speech. I know no one will get it but me and my wife.

Congrats on the engagement.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Kat, forum member CULater had a touching story about the ultimate best man speech a while back. You should check it out.

The band usually doesn't do love songs, but there's always Good For You. I know some people think it's corny (like the line about orange juice), but since you already admitted to corniness I figure it wouldn't bother you. ;)

Good luck with the wedding!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

Great story! As for your wedding song, how about "By the Way"? That's mine and my wife's song.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Congratulations!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

LOL, Orange Juice. Just tell him, "Baby, you are as good for me as Orange Juice" It will melt his heart.

Is Orange Juice really all that good for you? I think he should have gone with V8. In the juice world, I think its the best for you. "Just like V8 Splash, or a walk around the park"...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Congratulations on your engagement!!! It's always great to see SA unite people. As for songs, a few good ones have been suggested, although my favorite that I think has some appropriate lines would be "Freak Accident". I also think that close would fit, and on a somewhat downer, but semi-appropriate would be Lonely For You. Also Die In your arms is a pretty song, as is be on my side and some obsessions. . . Anyone else seeing a pattern here that more personal songs that are beautiful and appropriate for something like a wedding tend to never make it onto an album...

Songs note to play: We 3, Bittersweetheart, The Game, Without a Trace.

Also, not sure if you're a westerberg/mats fan, but there was a similar thread over on paul's page: http://paulwesterberg.proboards.com/ind ... hread=6504

Phil

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

"Growing Into You" would be a neat song. Or on a more humorous note, 99%

Congratulations! Instead of soul mates, you can be Soul Asylum-mates.
(I know, that was reaching...)
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

Ha! Thanks, all, for the great suggestions! I thought about Good For You and had the same feelings about the "orange juice" line....not sure I'm going to make my guests into SA fans with that one! But "By the Way" is a great one. The SA link is an ongoing joke with our friends, and they would be thoroughly disappointed if the wedding didn't include at least one song. We will be getting married in Mexico, however, with a mariachi band providing the entertainment. What song should we ask them to cover? LOL

And thanks for the congrats. I was afraid I'd get kicked off the site for my corniness. :)

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

I would LOVE to hear a Marriachi band play SA. Please record it.