2010 Dec. 31st - Hyatt Regency, Atlanta, GA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
crawl
Social Butterfly

Re: Atlanta NYE show

Post by crawl »

Looking for a show report... wish I could have been there!! Thinking of New Years show (i think 2005) at house of blues in chicago, it was the last time I saw them play close and first time I saw Tommy.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Very surreal and crazy show that appeared to be a prom or wedding reception, but Soul Asylum was there. A hair metal 80's cover band was the opener and in between the dj was playing the electric slide. So kind of crazy. Here is the set list:

Somebody to Shove
All Is Well
Misery
Lately
Whatcha Need
Marionette (!!!!!)
Black Gold
Without a Trace
When I Ran Off and Left Her
Gravity
Cartoon / Gone Til November
I Did My Best
Runaway Train
Just Like Anyone
Stand Up and Be Strong

Lots of fun and very grateful to be ending 2010 and starting 2011 on such a good note with Soul Asylum! :) and good friends!

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

And a tiny bit of Silly Love Songs at the end of Misery.

The security was ridiculous. No drinks allowed on the stage by anyone, even the band. No smoking either. And the audience had to stand about a foot away from the stage.

Great show by the boys. Dave was hanging out near the end of the night, so I got to say hi and grab a new pic with him. I needed one, since my other one was from '07, I think.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Surreal is exactly the right word, but so much fun. The guys played great despite the weirdness of the audience, and it was fabulous to hear Marionette again. And Gravity has truly become one of the highlights of the show for me.

I wouldn't say that the security was ridiculous -- they were definitely aggressive in terms of enforcing certain things (mostly keeping people from slamming into each other or lunging onto the stage). it may have felt overzealous at times, but you have to keep in mind that this wasn't a regular club or concert hall, so they have some different rules. We talked quite a bit to one of the security guards and he was a really good guy. I respect the fact that he was doing his job and I took care to observe the parameters he set. He only asked us to move back a little from the stage when he needed to be able to get back and forth. Also, it's not unusual to not allow drinks on the stage. He let us put our wraps, purses, party hats, and other stuff on the stage - just not drinks. But the band was allowed to have drinks and did.

It's worth noting that it was a super low stage and even standing a little bit back, we were closer to the band than at almost any venue I've been to. Probably on par with the Fine Line in terms of proximity, although the stage was even lower. Really rare -- and pretty fabulous -- to be that close, so I have no complaints. :)

I can't think of a better way to end 2010 and start 2011 than seeing SA perform and hanging out with great friends. And it's always a pleasure to talk to Dave, Danny, and Pete, who are all as gracious, charming, and funny as they are talented.

I suspect it was a surreal experience for the band as well to play such a venue, but they were total professionals and put on a really good show.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Were any SA band members spotted dancing the Electric Slide? :lol:

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I agree with you about the security. Mostly they were keeping a space in front of the stage for themselves to be able to move back and forth, and they did allow us to put other things on the stage other than drinks. I think they were trying to protect the equipment. And also agree that it is so great to have had an opportunity to visit with everyone after the show! It was a bit of a crazy scene, but they took it all in stride and seemed to enjoy themselves and put on a great show!

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Were any SA band members spotted dancing the Electric Slide? :lol:
Thanks Sarah for planting that seed. The only thing that could have made the evening more surreal (and more bizarrely fabulous) would be if the guys had come out and danced. There's not much that could get me to dance the electric slide, but the prospect of dancing with Dave could have. ;)
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

hahaha! exactly! That would have been the the icing on the surreal cake :)

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Thanks for the post guys. Glad to hear that Marionette stayed in the set list.

Great way to end and begin the Year! Wish I could have been there, maybe next year ....

mc

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

I guess I've been spoiled by Atlanta venues about easy security, but I really thought the security was a bit over the top. They even grabbed me one time and Drew said they kept pushing some lady in the chest. That's a bit much... all I did was bump into some lady while I was taking a picture.

Regardless, the band was excellent and I enjoyed the evening with my husband Drew, who brought two of the band champagne, despite security's objections.

Happy New Year, everyone.