2007 Dec. 28th - Cabooze, Mpls, MN (Dave & The Volunteers)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
sheryl
Social Butterfly
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by sheryl »

aauugghh i want to see this collection of musicians!

i can't even believe i've only been to one soul asylum (or dave and others) show this year. and that'll probably be the only one, too. bad bad bad bad bad.

User avatar
no1rockfan
O'Jeezer
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by no1rockfan »

sheryl wrote:i can't even believe i've only been to one soul asylum (or dave and others) show this year. and that'll probably be the only one, too. bad bad bad bad bad.
You moved to the wrong end of the Mississippi River. I love New Orleans, but Dave mostly plays in Minnesota as you have found out. However, if you find a show with Dave playing in NO, please post it for the rest of us.

sheryl
Social Butterfly
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by sheryl »

no1rockfan wrote:
sheryl wrote:i can't even believe i've only been to one soul asylum (or dave and others) show this year. and that'll probably be the only one, too. bad bad bad bad bad.
You moved to the wrong end of the Mississippi River. I love New Orleans, but Dave mostly plays in Minnesota as you have found out. However, if you find a show with Dave playing in NO, please post it for the rest of us.

there's plenty of other music here, though. if it had been for daves music that i'd moved here i'd be sadly disappointed, huh? i get no music from dave. i get advice...."you should get a fence" "take a cab" "eat a lemon." but music? no. for music i have to go elsewhere.
of course if any incarnation of any soul asylum people play here i'll post it.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: South Florida

Post by g8trcarol »

Well, I live in Florida, have lived in Florida for more than 3/4ths of my life, but I used to live in Minneapolis! Of course, I was 5 MONTHS OLD, and oblivious to anything other than my mother's lullabys, but I was there! As luck would have it, we want to move from the land of hurricanes. As MY LUCK would have it, my husband has declared the state of Louisiana off limits. Is there any hope of getting closer to a frequent live fix of SA aside from divorce lawyers or artic gear? You're talking to someone who thinks 60 degrees is freezing!

User avatar
philipgar
O'Jeezer
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Folsom, CA
Contact:

Post by philipgar »

g8trcarol wrote:Well, I live in Florida, have lived in Florida for more than 3/4ths of my life, but I used to live in Minneapolis! Of course, I was 5 MONTHS OLD, and oblivious to anything other than my mother's lullabys, but I was there! As luck would have it, we want to move from the land of hurricanes. As MY LUCK would have it, my husband has declared the state of Louisiana off limits. Is there any hope of getting closer to a frequent live fix of SA aside from divorce lawyers or artic gear? You're talking to someone who thinks 60 degrees is freezing!
There are always the SA shows across the country, although it seems that the midwest gets the majority of shows. The northeast also gets quite a few, and I know dave does enough shows in New Orleans. Aside from there, I think you get lucky to see a show every few years. Personally, I'm a fan of the midwest. You'll get used to the fact that 6 months out of the year it doesn't get above 60 :). Actually the only really bad part is when it decides not to get above zero for a couple days. Oh also the snow kinda sucks.

The only places I can think of that have a good music scene, and warm weather tend to be in California or austin. I always found growing up in Florida resulted in a poor selection of bands coming through.

Phil

User avatar
sayeeda
Social Butterfly
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:25 am
Location: Dhaka (Bangladesh)
Contact:

Post by sayeeda »

Teehee Phil...and the wind sucks too. :) Still, agreed...too true. You do get used to that every year...unless, of course, you get spoiled badly by the other 6 months of warmth. :)

It's been snowing here almost every day the past week and will keep on going for I don't know how long. How's it in Madison?

sheryl
Social Butterfly
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by sheryl »

what's this you speak of, phil? dave does enough shows in new orleans? what? where? when?
soul asylum did chazfest last may and that was the first show in a couple of years. i've found some old listings of him playing at dba, a couple of years ago,and even soul asylum at dba how funny is that, heh, but nothing much since then. it's been seven months since they played here and has there been so much as a peep? nope.

i know he might be doing unscheduled things that you just have to be in the right place at the right time for (kind of like jimmy buffet ending up onstage at dba the other night. no of course i wasnt there) but as far as scheduled stuff? what music listings do you have that i dont?
help me out ;)

User avatar
philipgar
O'Jeezer
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Folsom, CA
Contact:

Post by philipgar »

sheryl wrote:what's this you speak of, phil? dave does enough shows in new orleans? what? where? when?
soul asylum did chazfest last may and that was the first show in a couple of years. i've found some old listings of him playing at dba, a couple of years ago,and even soul asylum at dba how funny is that, heh, but nothing much since then. it's been seven months since they played here and has there been so much as a peep? nope.

i know he might be doing unscheduled things that you just have to be in the right place at the right time for (kind of like jimmy buffet ending up onstage at dba the other night. no of course i wasnt there) but as far as scheduled stuff? what music listings do you have that i dont?
help me out ;)
Well, I didn't necessarily mean shows that were announced, and no I don't really know about any of them down there. Dave probably doesn't know about half of them until he's playing. Even just counting "announced" shows, SA or Dave tend to do at least one a year, sometimes more down there. Compared with most of the country thats "a lot". Of course those of us in the midwest have been spoiled lately.

As for the weather in madison. Too much friggin snow. I'm sick of it. We got another couple inches yesterday, and likely will have more in the next couple of days. And of course, it's not scheduled to get above freezing, so little of it will even melt away. Just makes everything so messy. And driving is a pain, and all that crap. On the plus side in a couple weeks I'm flying down to florida for break (although then I'm heading up to Texas a couple days later with my family). That'll get some nice weather. Of course, I won't be back to madtown until at least the 2nd, so there goes all chances of making Dave's show.

Phil

crawl
Social Butterfly
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:14 am
Location: IL

Post by crawl »

I would like to join the pity party of those who can't make the upcoming shows. I am singing the "if I only had a job(brain)" song. btwn funds and family arrgh! Wish I could live in MN. Don't think I would mind the snow. But my husband won't move (divorce court right). There is even a job there I would like to apply for. Anyway. Hope someone will post the Lists for the 21st and 28th. Missed Nov. too ... dang. I need a miracle!

Thanks for the site!

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Yeah, I won't be there either. The SA show is right before I'm going to visit family for the holidays. I would actually be in the Midwest for the Pirner show, but my car won't be. I doubt my dad would let me borrow his, and I can't drag my sisters along because they aren't 21 yet.

:(

Since I've moved, I really miss my proximity to Minneapolis.

Post Reply