2011 Sept. 9th - Concrete & Grass Fest, St. Paul, MN (Dave)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Moto Geek
Inmate

Re: 2011-09-09 - Dave solo acoustic - St Paul

Post by Moto Geek »

Here's what I wrote down as my "unofficial" set list tonight that Dave played:

Get On Out

Misery

Silly Love Songs

Without A Trace

????? by Vic Chestnut?

Closer to the Stars

New World

String of Pearls

Summer of Drugs

Rhinestone Cowboy

Freebird (lol!)

Black Gold

Gone 'Till November

Never Really Been

Runaway Train

Somebody To Shove

??????? by Suicide Commandos (with his guitar mentor, Chris Osgood).

Dave opened up the gig with a silly comment about how he may sound like Bob Dylan (tonight).

After "Get On Out" he made a joke about the McNally Smith College of Music.

All in all it was a very light heatedly played gig.

It appeared that Dave had a lot of family there so he was on good behavior. :D
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

He never played that Vic Chestnut song, which I'm assuming was going to be "When I Ran Off and Left Her".

I was there with my 4 year old son, who enjoyed it at first but grew restless and I had to walk laps around the park and listen to the last few songs. Dave started early and that was nice, I think both me and my boy were getting sleepy from the Opera singers before him. He said he was going to play a few songs to get warmed up. His voice wasn't with him through Get On Out and he seemed to have ADD through the first several songs. He'd explain what he was doing while he played. I wondered if he was on drugs, it just seemed weird for Dave to be off of his A game. It felt more like Westerberg than Pirner. He warmed up though and the show got more entertaining. It was definitely a light hearted affair. I enjoyed the kids and family coming up to the stage and Dave commenting.

The setting was awesome, this little Park in Downtown St. Paul had always seemed cool to me, it has a neat creek that flows through it's one city block size, and several quaking aspens planted throughout. Weather was perfect.

Performance wise Dave wasn't "Melting my face with awesomeness!", but I really enjoyed it. It was free, family friendly, and loose. He touched on Politics a bit, but his topics were a bit outdated, and it seemed the crowd wasn't in the mood for Politics as there was little to no reaction during those parts. But they loved Black Gold! I held my tongue on requesting Rhinestone Cowboy, swear I was on the verge of yelling it when he brought up Glen Campbell and then proceeded to play it. Was happy to hear Gone Till November as well.

I got video of Without A Trace and his Welcome/first words on stage, Video is a little shaky which is why I only grabbed one song. Enjoy!
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

Sorry for double posting, just saw this video was put up yesterday, explains the McNally smith comments and him explaining his song structuring throughout the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrR7U2nxPts

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Thanks for "the word" and links, folks.

It's so nice to hear that over his many years here, Dave has learned to correctly pronounce "N'Awlins". :lol:

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Asylunt wrote:Sorry for double posting, just saw this video was put up yesterday, explains the McNally smith comments and him explaining his song structuring throughout the show.
Lucky students. :D
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

What an amazing night! My husband, son and I got there just after Dave started playing, and the park was quite full. We just plunked down on the ground right in front of the stage. Couldn't believe we were the only ones right up front. The whole night had a very intimate feel.

As Aron mentioned, Dave was on his best behavior and just drinking water on stage. His brother and two nephews were just to my right. Very cute to see them run up to the stage to say hi to "Uncle Dave" :lol:

So I asked for the setlist at the end of the night, but Dave's roadie told me he needed it for the next night, but I could take a picture...
317871_2367823756804_1286738044_32866906_911094266_n.jpg
Aron - bummed I didn't run into you! Jamie - Great talking to you always!
298922_2367852517523_1286738044_32866928_1587531204_n.jpg
Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

Would have loved to have heard "I did my best".

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

Asylunt wrote:Sorry for double posting, just saw this video was put up yesterday, explains the McNally smith comments and him explaining his song structuring throughout the show.
when was that show? as it wasn't from last night because there's a drum set in the background.

Anyway, fun night it was last night in downtown St Paul! Too bad Dave wasn't playing like this was a "serious" show. Pretty much just a warm up for tonight's show out East basically. There were a number of times Dave asked for requests etc, so I yelled out (from a distance) Stranger, but alas he didn't play it. Oh well. Can't complain too much!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

That video of Dave is at McNally Smith school for music, he was a part of a Q&A session for a class. Chris Osgood teaches there so it most likely was for his class.