2012 July 19th - Seventh Street Entry, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 July 19th - Seventh Street Entry, Minneapolis, MN

Post by Sometime to Return »

I have seen 70ish SA shows through the years. My first show ever was in the entry in June/ July 1991. Seeing them in the entry again where I saw my first show was ... well, I really can't effectively explain it.

I never thought on that night in 1991; that Soul Asylum would still be playing, let alone, playing an energized show in the entry again or still putting out great music.

I would rank this show right up there among my favorites. The band new that the 250ish people there were fans and new more than the hits. They new we wanted to hear the new stuff played, and, played with energy. And, they didn't disappoint. I didn't want to hear RT or BG; I can/ probably will hear them tonight (which is fine and I get it).

LTC was a nice surprise; hearing Marionette and Easy Street would have been the "classics" that I would have requested.

Winston... I enjoyed our conversation after the show last night. Like I told you, I am very impressed with how quickly you are picking the music up. You gave me more of your time than you needed, I really appreciated that.

I was also, impressed, that you remembered me/ my family from the MOA meet and greet. Or, should I say how you remembered my "beautiful"...blonde wife 8-) quite impressive.

So SA, Since last night was so much fun (and so good ); let's do it again tonight !!
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Amazing show thought it was perfect! Could not have been more rockin. So nice to meet up with so many soul mates! Hope to see your faces again soon!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Best show ever!!! I knew it was a small place (with 8 foot tall ceilings) but just walking in there it was like, wow... my parent's garage is bigger:!: Noticing all the people that were crammed in there and rocking out made an already energetic show even more energetic.

The set list couldn't have been more perfect; though as mentioned above Lately did seem like a weird choice to throw in there for that type of set (not that I dislike the song).

The whole gang looked to be having an awesome time, especially Dave and Dan since they haven't played in there in a LONG time. Since it's my first time seeing the band with him, I really think Winston picked up on all the songs extremely well, and as always Michael kicked ass.

Great meeting up with everyone before the show, definitely made a great start to an awesome show.

All in all, AAAAAA++++++ show, would want to see again. :D :!: :!:
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

The Entry show was definitely my favorite of the two mpls shows. I still can't believe I've finally seen SA at the Entry! Jamie - nice hanging out with you and having some beers before the show. Aron - A million thanks for that awesome spot on the ledge! Meg, Mike and everbody else I ran into - great seeing you all again!
Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

farnlc
Lone Rider

Post by farnlc »

For those of you who left right after the concert, a fan from Alaska let Dave know that he really wanted to hear Runaway Train...it looked like it had a personal connection for him. So Dave excused himself, came back a minute later and rocked an impromptu acoustic version of Runaway Train for this guy and about 10 or so other lucky fans. I'm uploading the video I took as I write this and it should be available at http://youtu.be/sbzQHZ8bTAY

What a stand up guy!
Last edited by farnlc on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

farnlc wrote:For those of you who left right after the concert, a fan from Alaska let Dave know that he really wanted to hear Runaway Train...it looked like it had a personal connection for him. So Dave excused himself, came back a minute later and rocked an impromptu acoustic version of Runaway Train for this guy and about 10 or so other lucky fans. I'm uploading the video I took as I write this and it should be available at http://youtu.be/4CUpWIZxmVg

What a stand up guy!
Unfortunately the link doesn't work... tried finding it on YouTube, no luck. :(

But yeah, I had the honor of seeing that; was very cool. It was in the back left of the stage in a dark corner. It was so dark that Conrad Sverkerson, the First Avenue stage manager held a up a tiny LED flashlight over the small stool Dave was sitting down in playing. :P

I thought it was extremely thoughtful of Dave because they had already put their equipment away and he came back with his acoustic guitar. It was awesome to see how much Dave and the guys care for just one of their fans, especially to do something like that. I can't say for all of course, but I don't know how many lead singers of other big bands would do the same (personally, I don't think very many).

I'm curious, if anyone knows that was there, was that guy with all the piercings that Dave acknowledged to come over by him with the guy from Alaska, or was he a friend of Dave's?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Yeah, that video definitely isn't working. You should try again though, I'd definitely like to see it. I got a short video of it myself, but it was just a small portion of the song since I stopped it to take a photo.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i saw they posted a video on their facebook page - is this the same thing you guys are talking about?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151052572367490

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

You guys are so making me wish I could of gotten off work on Thursday too. Believe me I tried.

farnlc
Lone Rider

Post by farnlc »

I updated the link and here it is again http://youtu.be/sbzQHZ8bTAY