2013 June 8th - Peter Cooper Village, New York City, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
nikkip
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 June 8th - Peter Cooper Village, New York City, NY

Post by nikkip »

Rob your photos are always amazing! I was wondering how this show would be because it's such an odd place for them to play. And from some of the comments on their FB page...a bit controversial?

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Thanks Nikki! I googled their fb page and did not see any comments, unless I looked at the wrong page or didn't see the particular post in question. A few angry people on their blog, but a few folks there seem to be angry about lots of things in that complex. No worries, a good time was had by all in attendance.

On the oddness - I dunno, I think the oyster fests and other local freebie shows we've had in the northeast the last few years have been just as weird, if not moreso. At least here they were the attraction.

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

I did notice a couple of remarks on SA's FB page, mostly residents voicing their angst over PCV's management. I don't know a single detail about the complaints regarding the complex, but it is an ENORMOUS and expensive community with apartments in various states of being updated. I know some residents have their rents subsidized by their employers, so it's quite possible that different residents are having very different experiences with the community. Not to mention the apparent hoopla over previous events being labeled as a benefit for residents only, but then being opened to the public, hence the tight security this year.

Most relevant to us, though, is that everyone who was at the show seemed to be happy and having a great time. I was concerned that the band would be playing to an indifferent crowd, but it was not the case at all.

I guess now that I think about it, those Mohegan Sun shows are pretty darn weird, too..... :)

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Thanks Nikki! I googled their fb page and did not see any comments, unless I looked at the wrong page or didn't see the particular post in question. A few angry people on their blog, but a few folks there seem to be angry about lots of things in that complex. No worries, a good time was had by all in attendance.
It was under the "posts by others". Glad to hear everyone was enjoying it!

I did some googling and pretty much found what you did. I also found a couple angry comments on the angry blogs that made me laugh about how loud the concert was :lol:
Yaz McBoo wrote:On the oddness - I dunno, I think the oyster fests and other local freebie shows we've had in the northeast the last few years have been just as weird, if not moreso. At least here they were the attraction.

How do those shows usually go? That seems odd to me too and yeah, probably weirder than them being hired to play a private show. I'm thinking of going to the Lake in the Hills show in July or the whatever-fest in WI in August. I went to a free 4th of July city festival show they did in Pittsburgh a few years ago and really enjoyed it. But that's a bit different from a ribfest....

I'm still remaining hopeful there might be more LP Tour dates but it doesn't seem very likely at this point. Or maybe a show somewhere in OH, PA, MI or NY. But if not, I'll probably give one of those free shows a try.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

Well I'm glad that at least one/some of us die-hards was/were able to get in as a guest of a Stuy-Town resident. Would have been a shame is they were playing to complete strangers.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I was at the July 4 show a few years ago too, NikkiP. It was fun, but I'm biased as I have Pittsburgh connections. :)

If I would have known it would have been possible to get in to this show, I might have tried. Glad some of you got in. Looks like it was fun.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Oh cool! I really like Pittsburgh, we only live about an hour away and go there fairly often for entertainment. That was my first Soul Asylum show, although I've been a huge fan since 92. I was too young to go see them then (12ish :o ). I could never manage to talk my parents into taking me to a show and no one i knew in high school with a car wanted to see them. By time I had a car and money and ability to go to shows...it seemed there were never shows to go to. This doesn't seem to be a great place to be a Soul Asylum fan, they come through here so rarely. Guess I have to travel more ;)