Nicollet Island - Mpls - private show - Aug 21st 2014 ???

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Nicollet Island - Mpls - private show - Aug 21st 2014 ???

Post by EasyStreet »

A buddy of mine sent me a text last night saying as he was on his usual evening bike route and as he was passing through the downtown Mpls area, he heard live music coming from somewhere. He navigated toward the sounds and down on Nicollet Island was Soul Asylum playing, at some sort of private gig. So he stopped and got some info before he was told to "move on" from one of our cities finest, but what he heard was there was something going on a the Convention Center, something with legislators from all around the world, and they bussed around 750 ppl to Nicollet island for a private affair, along with some live music. But he also stated that it appeared that if you were already there mingling about enjoying the evening that it was actually open to the public, so it didn't sound like a completely closed off event of sorts.

Anyone go ???
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Re: Nicollet Island - Mpls - private show - Aug 21st 2014 ??

Post by EasyStreet »

drat, true, found a link for it

http://www.ncsl.org/meetings-training/l ... vents.aspx

I guess I missed the memo about this one.....

:evil:

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

I heard about this on Twitter last night after the show, so annoyed I didn't hear anything about it in advance & somehow manage to hang around Nicolette Island to gatecrash he event :)

I'm the English guy visiting Minnesota for a month & because there were no local shows scheduled during my month in Minnesota & the fact I was desperate to see a Soul Asylum show for the first time in 2 years I am now sitting on a plane about to depart MSP to fly to Wilkes-Barnes PA via Chicago having paid a $460 airfare & $100 lodging plus $40 for ticket, when I could of perhaps maybe seen them for free last night :(

Oh well at least I do love flying & traveling to new places, so I'm sure it will be a fun trip, just hope Saturdays show is worth the $600 I'm spending to see them!

Andrew

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

Andrew, bummer you were in town and did not hear about this (like many others I am guessing)! We've met before, back in '07 I think, when you were in town then believe. I remember you were tyring to get your home made SA "tour" shirt signed by the band. :)

I'm just as miffed about this missed show than anyone else. Not much talk about this gig on their FB page either......

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Hi EasyStreet

Yes 2007 was the very first time I visited Minnesota & now 7 years on & many visits later it has become like my second home :)

I get back to Minneapolis on Sunday & then from Monday Start a 2 week long 700 mile bicycle tour around Minnesota, can't wait to discover so much more of the state up North!!

Yes I did get that custom designed T-shirt signed by the band in the end!

Yeah it's very frustrating not hearing about the Nicollette Island show in Advance, but I guess it is understandable really given that it was for some private event.

I Just need to win a lot of money on the Lottery & I could arrange to fly Soul Asylum to Liverpool UK & they could play a private show at the Cavern Club, home of where the Beatles started out, I'm sure the band would really love that too!

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I didn't hear about it until after it was too late on Twitter either. As long as it was just a private show I missed, I'm OK with it, as I wouldn't have gone unless invited. But I wasn't sure at first and thought I was really slacking on keeping up with shows! I was like "how could I have been oblivious to a hometown show?!" It is getting harder for me to keep up with these things with getting older & my dislike of the internet.