Community Spotlight: Monolith Maniac

Offer your feedback on the content that has been published to the site, such as our discography and our articles.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

pathorses wrote:[The lyrics to RT were ALWAYS the thing for me.....of course, I saw the video but it was the song that I loved. I was going through some really tough shit then and I could SO relate to the line "Somehow I'm neither here nor there"........I'm so glad I don't relate to that anymore!! That song meant (and still means) so, so much to me. It always will, overplayed or not.

Pat
The lyrics are what make the song for me, too. I didn't see the video for the first time until last summer, after I rediscovered the song.

As I've mentioned in another thread, last summer, I was going through a bad platch when I heard RT on the radio. (I only heard it ONCE, so maybe it was that fate thing that crawl is talking about.) It so simply and eloquently expressed exactly how I was feeling: "Seems like I should be getting somewhere / Somehow I'm neither here nor there." "This time I have really led myself astray" was particularly apt for me, too. (I hate it when there's no one else to blame.) The song's refusal to hold out any hope was oddly comforting somehow.

Hearing the song reminded me of how much I liked SA. This song and my rediscovery of SA were part of what pulled me out of that bad patch. "Runaway Train" will always be an important song to me no matter how often I hear it.

Despite the video, I never really associate the song with teen runaways. It seems to express a much more adult sense of despair.

Monolith Maniac: I asked about the humor because the warped humor of "Misery" is what drew me to buy LYDLS. Dave's twisted way with words (in both the serious and more lighthearted songs) won me over entirely.

I like your video, especially the part where the kid ends up right back where he started. "Run away but it always seems the same" indeed.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I have seen that clip before. No wonder you placed second. It's well executed, despite equipment deficiencies: haziness, age, weight, etc. :wink:

Bigger/more impressive...right, in terms of quantity only. :P I'd say use the money you would have spent instead on quality pieces. For instance, if one of those singles contains a song that can't be found anywhere else, etc. Unless, of course, you have all such singles. :D

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Now that I've seen in person the awesomeness that is Jim's collection,
I am astounded by its quality and dumbfounded by its number.
It is so well-rounded, I am amazed, and yet
confounded why he left so much out of it.