New Site Feature: Audio Downloads

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

New Site Feature: Audio Downloads

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Today we are launching a new feature to the site: an audio download page. This page will hopefully be an easy way to download and enjoy some of the most rare Soul Asylum songs. The majority of the songs on the page have either had a very limited release, never made it to the studio, or were never commercially released. I believe that these are all great songs and should have the opportunity to be listened to by all Soul Asylum fans.

Due to security purposes, prior to your download, you will be prompted to answer a what should be an easy Soul Asylum related question (the answer can easily be found on this site if you are having trouble figuring it out). You should only have to answer this question once per session even if you download more than one file.

Please download and save the files that you wish to download only once (per computer) as to respect the bandwidth limitations of this site. If you are experiencing any trouble with the downloads or have any other questions, comments, and/or complaints please post them here.

Thank you and enjoy the audio downloads.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: New Site Feature: Audio Downloads

Post by lune ellise »

About time... Thank you thank you!!! Happy Birthday!!!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Thanks! An awesome start to the week. I'm downloading them and look forward to hearing them all repeatedly. :D

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

cool! I was hopin this would show up eventually on the site. Glad to finally have a version of Be On My Side.
Re: James at 16, Thank you whoever ripped it for finally gettin a version online that doesn't have the skip early in the "Stop! Hey! What's that sound?..." bit at about the 2 and a half minute mark. But is there anyway to get a bit better sound quality? The sound sounds quite distorted at times on the vocals. Or is that just a deficiency on the original record?
Anyway, muchos gracias!

J

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

blueharvest wrote:cool! I was hopin this would show up eventually on the site. Glad to finally have a version of Be On My Side.
Re: James at 16, Thank you whoever ripped it for finally gettin a version online that doesn't have the skip early in the "Stop! Hey! What's that sound?..." bit at about the 2 and a half minute mark. But is there anyway to get a bit better sound quality? The sound sounds quite distorted at times on the vocals. Or is that just a deficiency on the original record?
Anyway, muchos gracias!

J
I ripped all the songs except for Directions and Freak Accident (I tried to clean Directions up a little bit though without trying to degrade the quality). The copy I have of James at 16 was brand new when I purchased it and there does seem to be quite a few deficiencies on the recording, which I tried to remove/edit to the best of my ability without hurting the file too much. The record player I used rip it might have been part of the problem though, as it could use a new needle.

Not right now, but hopefully soon I want to get around to using my nice 1963 Motorola Hi-Fi to rip another copy of the medley which would sound much better (all my SA vinyls sound awesome on there). I'd have to move my computer into the other room as the Hi-Fi (AM/FM stereo with record changer) is pretty big.

Update: Scratch the above idea out for now... I just moved it and tried. I'm getting too much of a hum on the output (which probably hasn't been used for 20+ years, if at all). I used some compressed air and contact cleaner on the jacks; it made an improvement, but definitely not the quality I would like. I'll have to take it all apart and try some other time.

Here's a pic of it if you're interested:
motorola.jpg
motorola.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 19030 times

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

There is a Black Star demo floating around here somewhere - could you include that here too (although you could also get it from me - I downloaded it long ago)?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

lune ellise wrote:There is a Black Star demo floating around here somewhere - could you include that here too (although you could also get it from me - I downloaded it long ago)?
There is a Black Star (demo), somewhere on the site now. :P

I would have uploaded a copy earlier, but since there was a version on After the Flood, I wasn't sure if it was that necessary. But feel free to enjoy it now.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
lune ellise wrote:There is a Black Star demo floating around here somewhere - could you include that here too (although you could also get it from me - I downloaded it long ago)?
There is a Black Star (demo), somewhere on the site now. :P
:lol:

Your stereo is a beauty. I'm envious.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Ooooo...love it! Thanks! :D I'd only ever heard/seen the one live version on youtube.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

mumph
Marionette

Post by mumph »

sw33t. thanks so much. :shock: the question/answer is a smart protection feature.

ps- that big console record player/radio cabinet is tha chit!