Article about Tommy Stinson's April 2012 Tour

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
jasonC
Caged Rat

Re: Article about Tommy Stinson's April 2012 Tour

Post by jasonC »

I totally agree that Nirvana is overrated. Mainly because Kurt died young and is made out to be some sort of rock god because of it. My point is that Guns and Roses are also highly overrated. When I compare the two overrated bands though, only one of them I think is pretty good and that is Nirvana. I don't own one Nirvana album or song but when compared to GNR, I think they are the better band. Once again, I did not mean to take this topic completely off track.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

That's your opinion, but I don't think GnR is very overrated... if anything, enough dislike them.

It's obvious that GnR gets more attention though, they were one of the biggest bands from the late 80's and early 90's with many hit songs around the world. Most people have never even heard of SA.

Barty2000
Marionette

Post by Barty2000 »

First let me say that my two favorite bands of all time are Soul Asylum and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. BUT I was a huge GnR fan back in the day. I still am. Nirvana, not as much even though I do like the music. I don't think either band was over rated. Both bands set the music world on fire and put out great music. As Closer said, it comes down to personal taste. If you look at the Grammy scoreboard SA has one and GnR never won one. Nirvana has one. I'm a big Dave Grohl and Foo Fighter fan. After Nirvana he went on to win 11, 4 for best rock album. and with all that success, I feel they are under rated.
And as this thread started it was about Tommy. The guy has a pretty impressive resume. The Replacements, GnR, SA and his solo work. But as great as he is, I will always miss Karl...

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I guess what I meant with Nirvana being overrated is that if Kurt hadn't passed away in such a tragic way, the Nirvana legacy would have been very different... doesn't mean that the band wasn't very important for music. And Dave Grohl sure had quite the career after Nirvana... I love the Foo Fighters but I always thought that he missed that touch of genius that Kurt but also Dave Pirner has in my opinion. But I think that the Foo Fighters are a good example of very good promotors... I've been a member of the Foo Fighters postboard for ten years or so, and it's amazing how they handle and use the media when they are releasing albums. SA could learn a lot from them. Besides being a great musician, Dave Grohl really knows how to play the game.